Newark Show - weather and ground conditions update (1 Viewer)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
stuck in mud heater packed up bloody freezing all the time belive it of not we had a great weekend and helped win a cup into the bargain thanks to all who helped make it fun

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Last funster left on the field.....wondering if I will eat my words of never ever in 12 years been towed.......

Everyone has churned up the field just nice

Well you always have to be the martyr Paul. :active::active::active::active:

We just assumed you'd gone back to bed for horizontal jogging :Blush: since you didn't have any races this weekend :ROFLMAO:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
I thought the old dears were going to attack you with their zimmers when you wouldn't shut up one old dear picked up her walking stick to trip you up with but missed. the guy in front of us had it all on video :Smile:

yeah they was a bit miffed yet the comedian who was the star of the evenin they didnt even video still i had you to back me up if they zimmer frames came at me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Elaine and I would like to thank god for this weekends interesting weather
And all of the funsters who took time to introduce them selfs to us
This was our first fun outing but won't be the last
And we got home safe and sound now we need to dig out our driveway of about a foot of snow to get out the cars out and van in

Thanks to all

Ps we got of field under our own steam yaaaaaaaa

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We've got it and wouldnt be without it ta. :thumb: Got off under our own steam :thumb:

It was all the Fiat FWD's who were slip sliding about.:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Weeellllllllllllllllll

I know of a certain rear wheel drive ( and twin wheeler at that ! ) who got stuck, whilst we managed to drive out right from the far side and through the sludge that was the main entry to the field !!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I think RWD gives you a fighting chance, but tyre choice is equally important.

I thought Tony (Jaygee) wouldn't stand a chance in their tag axle Dethleffs, but his new m+s tyres seemed to make up for the lack of weight on the driven wheels.

Whilst our Rwd dual wheeled Transit got off OK, the grip wasn't great due to the commercial-spec tyres. They haven't much in the way of transverse tread grooves. TheyLl do miles and miles on the road before wearing out, but grip in the mud isn't their forte.

When they are due replacement, it'll be m+s for us too!:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Getting off the FUN pitch - Easy.

Note to Haggars - we didn't need a tow.

Getting over the Pennines, crazy. We kept bouncing off closed roads. The A6 Oh Please! closed because of a bit of drifting snow. We ploughed through many places where it was a single vehicle gap, used the weight of the van. But when they put a barrier across a main road instead of sending in the ploughs we were stuffed. 2 hours to Newark, 4 hours back.

A disgrace, they take our money and do nothing useful with it.

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi Brian,

If you are worried about losing your identity badge last night dont worry i was wearing after you left, if you PM me your address ill pop it in the post as you will need it for easter, just in case they dont know who you are :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sheila xx

PS

Hope you arent too tired after all that dancing :winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian,

If you are worried about losing your identity badge last night :winky:

Don't know about the badge, I was more worried at losing my dangley bits at those temperatures. Did you see any brass monkeys ? No. All gone. Extinct. No more. Departed.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well, despite the tow off the Pitch, im home now.....

It was all about timing, Im the only one that was stuck today and simply because Im a lazy Bar-steward this morning,

What ever people say about the atrocious weather this weekend.

Nikki and I had a fantastic time, a great night on Friday when we were kidnapped by John & Chell but only after Nikki, Tony , Sian and a few others had danced the night away to the fantastic Rockerbilly band.

Saturday's tea and cake was nice and the walk around the [STRIKE]non show [/STRIKE]was a challenge at the best of time. :roflmto:

Saturday's nice quiet night turned in to a bit of a nice session when Lawson (DMS) came and joined in the action, still home for midnight and a sausage sandwich :thumb:

This morning meant, bacon baps, a purchase of some new levelling blocks and a tow off before a nice pleasure drive home....

Till next time, thanks to Jim, Sian & James for all the work, :thumb:

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Many thanks to Jim and Sian. We are now a full 5 miles away at Newark cc site as we were cancelled by chatsworth this morning.Snow way too bad to get home on the pennines so meandering towards Chester. We drove off the fun pitch this morning under our own steam with fwd!

Last edited:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Yes, a big thank you to Jim, Sian and James who put in a sterling effort despite the weather conditions. We were home in 90 minutes after popping into Brownhills for a little trolley. Looking forward to seeing everyone next weekend at Chester. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
I'll just add my two-pennorth of thanks to Jim & Sian, and Ash & DMS for a cracking rescue, and to The Stig for his assistance. It was my first Funster rally but won't be the last!

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
OK so been a great weekend me and beerdrinker1 (Ken) appear to be the last two funsters here missed the last bus back from Newark at 3.30 this afternoon went on a brilliant pub crawl around the town and finished with a curry -and I think I can say we have both no longer virgin funsters. we have just arrived back (9pm) at the show ground to find the gates locked! eventually back at my van still quite a few none funsters here. Thanks to everyone for making it a great weekend and especially those I have gotten drunk with.........too many to mention, see you on the road or at Peterborough show, or in the new year somewhere south of here and a lot bloody warmer!

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
lol i can imagine u and ken climbing the gates totally rat arsed
was a great time and was great meeting you both and all the others i met
hope to see you all at Peterborough:roflmto:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks to Jim & Sian + James not forgetting Jock and Rita for your sterling efforts in the face of adversity. :thumb::thumb:

Ken & Lynda

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Thanks for a great weekend - 1st time with the Funters and also 1st to get stuck and 1st to get towed off. A lot of experience gained during the weekend.::bigsmile:

Didn't get gas system fitted due to it being too cold - and I thought us southerners were the softies:roflmto:

Now parked up at VanBitz where I doubt that I will hear the words "Its too cold" before off too France for a while.:thumb:

Thanks too everyone we spoke too - we were made very welcome.

Hopefully will see you all soon

Nigel, Debbie & Tarni (the beagle)

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Nigel, Debbie & Tarni (the beagle) off to France for a while.

Don't forget to let me know which French Vet you use for the Pet Passport scheme when you return to the UK.

:france::france::france:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Peterborough Show

If the FUNSTERS can have such a good time in the mud and snow, I'm looking forward to my 1st FUNSTER meeting at Peterborough basked in glorious sunshine.
Sun-hat, T shirts and shorts being packed.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
thanks for a great meet at Newark show, although very cold outside, was nice and warm inside!!, roll on peterborough show, hope the sun is going to shine

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
cruiser

:cry:arrived on site. but did we have fun getting there.my windscreen wipers packed in,front nearside ind gave up.got on site alt fan belt snapped.i finally parked up.and then the interior lights would not work. and then the gas fire would not work. but then things got better.the very nice man from D.M.S. direct motorhome services. came to my aid he went in to newark got me a alt fan belt fitted it for me. in the snow.he then came back later tested it. he also checked my leisure battery.said it was dead,and replaced it. again when it was snowing. then got my interior lights working. now thats what i ncall a real friend. all i can do is say THANKYOU. wich i do.THANKYOU alan.from a gratefull motorhome fun member.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
OK so been a great weekend me and beerdrinker1 (Ken) appear to be the last two funsters here missed the last bus back from Newark at 3.30 this afternoon went on a brilliant pub crawl around the town and finished with a curry -and I think I can say we have both no longer virgin funsters. we have just arrived back (9pm) at the show ground to find the gates locked! eventually back at my van still quite a few none funsters here. Thanks to everyone for making it a great weekend and especially those I have gotten drunk with.........too many to mention, see you on the road or at Peterborough show, or in the new year somewhere south of here and a lot bloody warmer!

I can second everything that Philip commented on, arrived as true virgins and left as "old boots", and loved every bit of it, when you think of the weather which we all had to put up with, my heating packing in ( thanks again guys, for all help and concern ) used up two gas cylinders, the one that came with the van lasted from Nov 2012, until 5 minutes after I got the heating fixed !, then two bottle exchanges this weekend !, we should have a special section named after us . . . . . . The Masochists and Madmen section, I was amazed at how many 1st timers were there, and it was a pleasure meeting all,

I had never been into Newark before, passed it on the A1 many times, but never stopped, our " tour " wasn't only a tour of the pubs, well ok, to be honest, it was, but we did see some of what looked a bonny little town, with plenty of tourist attractions, well worth a another trip,

As to the pubs . . . The Castle has one of the best selections of real guest beers . . . The Prince Rupert ditto, but also the most amazing, attractive building dating back to the mid 1400 hundreds ( according to the attractive barmaid ), it was that nice me and Philip had to visit it twice to make sure !!!!!!, and don't forget the very nice Weatherspoons in the main square, and the Indian just down the street wouldn't disappoint any curry lover,

And Philip, thanks for advice on the 3 Dongle, I bought it this morning after I left the showground, joined the CCC and am now sat here on the CCC site at Teversall, just as good as you described it, the dongle connected up straight away with no hassle, snug and warm on hookup, nicely relaxed with a nice bottle of Merlot, which, incidently I had to pop into the oven to " defrost " it, it had been in my booze locker, just shows how cold it is outside,

Look forward to seeing many of you at Peterborough,

:thumb: :drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

CCC site ÂŁ 9.40, with hook up cant be bad !
Ken.

Last edited:

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

:Eeek:arrived thursday 2ish met by jim and sian [flowers and goody bag] parked up no probs got set up [all ok] had great night in cedrics place hound dogs were brilliant ,working on my small genny had good nights sleep following morning put anns nippy machine on charge [lesson to be learned here] had a power surge [no surge protecter in line] now sorted no earth fitted to ground from genny instead of going to earth it blew my 230 volts now sorted [ish] electrician coming to check sat,thank to hagganap for offering to lend me a genny but i went out and bought a sinewave inverter type genny we were hoping to stop but fed up with probs and not the sort of weather to sort out so we decided to come home to :shout:
every outing a lesson to be learned hope to see you all later in year as we are going on east coast for a couple of months :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back