LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Well things have moved along at a bit of a pace recently with regard to going to New Zealand and traveling around in a "Camper Van" :)

I am looking for some guidance, we will be traveling there in March and returning in May 2016 so 9 weeks hire.

Any help with the following would be very much appreciated.

1 How long would you suggest traveling in the North Island

2 How long would you suggest traveling in the South

3 Places of interest to visit in the North

4 Places of interest in the South

5 We will be stopping in Hong Kong for a couple of days.
Any advice, sensible please, on buying ipad and macbook.
Like wise i feel the need for a new time piece, read expensive watch, will there be big savings over UK prices

Thanks in advance from an excited bunny :LOL:

Jul 19, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Long time
We did NZ last year (Jan) for our Honeymoon. We had 3 weeks, based on this and talking to other people I would recommend 4 weeks on each island. As to what to see, there is so much and it's all good. We used the 100% pure new Zealand website, its all on there along with recommended routes. Get yourself the NZ motorhome and camping atlas from Amazon. Don't bother with Hong Kong, Singapore is much nicer! I would not buy your ipad or macbook in HK you don't know what your getting and the airport prices are not cheap.

Good luck and have fun!

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thanks Howard

Flights booked now so no going back :D

Heard the airport was dear for things

If buying anything in H K it would be from a reputable store not from a side street trader (y)

Now the fun begins:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 19, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Long time
I have brought Apple products from Dixons travel at Heathrow, from memory it's about 10% cheaper and less the VAT, you can also get them replaced if there are any problems. You can reserve before you go and pick it up when you fly. Broken Link Removed

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks Howard

Flights booked now so no going back :D

Heard the airport was dear for things

If buying anything in H K it would be from a reputable store not from a side street trader (y)

Now the fun begins:)
Well done and enjoy :) Have been to NZ twice , 4 weeks first time and 3 second . We incorporate it into our visit to Australia to stay with our daughter . Can't help you will camper hire but would be interested as we may do this next year. We hired a motorbike both times .

Reference HK or Singapore . In my opinion HK is the better option as it is quite different whereas Singapore is a bit clinical and too modern for me .

Definitely longer on South Island . We spent nearly all of our 4 weeks there first time . Second time all 3 weeks on North Island but I would say less to see there . Do take the helicopter ride at Franz Josef glacier on South Island and do not miss The Coromandel Peninsula and especially Hot Water Beach .

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
NZ. Is a very save place,so if your M/H has a toilet ,you are allowed to free camp,they have places called DOC sites which are in very nice places and very cheap and basic.
The south is colder than the North Island ,you will need warm clothing as you are going out to there winter and it's cold of a night.

If you need to buy extra equipment ,cheap basic stuff can be bought at the chain Warehouse Stores which are every were.
Enjoy your holiday.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thanks for the replies

M H has toilet and shower as we were hoping not to spend too much time on sites.

Will report back when we return might even keep a bit of a diary although im not that good at that.

I was hoping to save more than the tax and 10% on lecky stuff so will have a good look around Hong Kong then :D

More research to do then (y)

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
That's a good time of year to visit, still nice and warm but the schools and tourists have gone back making roads nice and quiet. It's actually autumn not winter so you may need a fleece during the evening but shouldn't be cold.

Favourites places to visit would be Rotorua, Hawkes Bay, the drive from Tauranga to Gisborne is spectacular and anywhere on the South Island,

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Orridge
Thats why i chose to go then

I cant be having with loads of kids and tourist i need my space :D

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I spent some months working in HK and the place to look for electronics was Causeway Bay on the island. There was also the big mall next to the Star Ferry dock on Kowloon. Fabulous city, enjoy.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Be vcareful about buying stuff in hk. Lots of counterfeit goods and not that much saving when u find genuine stuff.
They might have what u want on display but no stock to sell. Took me an hour to get CC refund for goods they could not supply.
Enjoy NZ great place u should have time to do most of it We spent 6 weeks but missed some places. We found south island best. Just follow your nose

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
we visit my daughter in Aus every year, and was thinking about a trip to NZ, next trip Feb 2016, will start looking at MH hire or even motorbike hire soon, any tips would be great.

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Just checked with Apple shop HK. The bottom level iPad Air 2 is £73 cheaper than the UK price. So you can go to the Apple shop (unlikely to get a fake in there) and save money.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
JohnH

Doesnt seem much of a saving on apple stuff or am i being a bit thick here :)

vin.egan

I wouldnt hang around booking a Camper if you want a shower and toilet we have struggled to get one at a reasonable rate.
Depends what your budget is i suppose.You can get one at around 100 NZD a day for an older one if you want to go newer double the price.
A lot of hire seems to be through agents and they are very helpfull.
I went for the full on insurance so no bond and covers every eventually also includes sat nav etc.
Make sure your fuel tax is included.Some will collect you from airport some will take camper to airport.

If you need any more info just post up, im not an expert by any means but learning fast :D

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
berni109

Will be on the look out for dodgy stuff

Was hoping things would be a bit of a bargain :)

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would check out taking a motorhome and selling it when you have finished your trip. check out prices in NZ on this site.... trade me.co.nz. I would spend most of my time in the south Island. Go to Queenstown. Do the Doubtful Sound as opposed to the more touristy Milford Sound. We spent a week travelling down the East Coast as not much to see and 4 weeks coming up the west coast. Fox Glacier is a must and the scenery and bush on the west coast is stunning. In the North Island a visit to Waitomo Caves is worth it. Maybe Coromandal if you have the time. March is nice usually but May is getting cool so try and do the south Island first and come up North as it becomes cooler. Hope this helps. Colin

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
He knows his stuff
image.jpg

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Kiwi Coss

Thanks for that

Its strange that you say to do the exact opposite to what i was told to do

Bit late for me now as its all organised and booked but will be noting places to visit

Thanks

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Plenty of M/H this time of year,

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well everyone has their own options. I personally prefer the South Island. Maybe its because I live in Auckland. I maintain that its best to head south as soon as possible maybe down thru West coast via Waitomo to Wellington then as I said East coast then have lots of time to see around lower SI, Queenstown and Bluff (only if to say you have been to the bottom of NZ). then spend a leisurely drive up the west coast where you have better scenery. then when you hit Wellington again come up the East coast to Napier and Gisborne then across to Opotiki then up Bay of Plenty thru Corromandal back to Auckland. But it depends on time of course.
What direction have you been recommended?
Check possible temperature in May on web.
Sometimes the SI is even better in Autumn.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Kiwi Coss

I wasnt given a route as such

Just told to start in the North and finish in the South

I bought an atlas for us to take and it came with a large folded map of North and South and has suggested routes on it so will use them as a guide

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
NZ only has a few nice straight roads,and some of the best places like Arthers Pass takes around 4 hours,so it's not that simple. It's a great train journey over the pass,

I have been to NZ 3 times and still not seen everything,I would plan your route to get the most out of it,choose and book places,going to some attractions you are better going by boat or coach.

I would definitely fly in to Auckland and Fly out Christchurch,plus there are now cheaper internal flights ,as they gave allowed other airlines to operate within NZ.
It can be cold at the time of year you are going,the NZ do not believe in central heating,it's put another jumper on attitude. Often the best places to stay are DOC sites as they tend to be in beautiful places tucked away in coves near bleachers and forest.,you get to see a lot of nature,the birds are worth going to NZ for alone.

Which ever way you do it,I am sure you will have a wonderful time,it's worth the long flight.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Re: buying a watch.

If you do buy one, post the box and any associated receipts/papers back to the UK. A boxed, new Rolex is likely to attract the attention of the authorities who will only be too happy to take their 20%.

Edit to add - wear it home.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Re: buying a watch.

If you do buy one, post the box and any associated receipts/papers back to the UK. A boxed, new Rolex is likely to attract the attention of the authorities who will only be too happy to take their 20%.

Edit to add - wear it home.

Yeah thanks

Had that covered (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back