Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Well
I tried to be all geeky and register my Thomas Cook card on line following their instructions.
No joy and I'm feeling that this card just isn't doing it for me so next stop the Halifax

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I am in Hong Kong at the moment and used my resulut card with no problem at the airport, brought two octopus cards to travel on buses/trams/ boats and trains,
also no problem with my 3 cards both phone and data feel at home,
a very pleasant 23C and low humidity :)

Reactions: LAM
OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Nice one
Hope you have a great time.
I'm starting to get itchy feet now

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
richr
Hope you have a gret time in NZ! When do you go? How very exciting!! My Mum and Dad have a converted bus, and they go to the South Island most years, after the schools go back in Feb/March. How long are you there?
Everyone reads the guide books, and they do great service to NZ, it is such a beautiful place! You will have an idea of where to go, just by your own interests, there is something for every one.
My highlights would be, for beaches, the Bay of Islands, but from Whangarei, head out toward the Whangarei Heads, and it is less well known, but equally beautiful, and far less touristy. The locals like to fish out this way...including my cousin!! The Coromandel Peninsula is a must, but there are non-tarsealed roads up the top part, so ask your hire company if you are allowed to drive there!! If you can its is amazing.
Most people arrive in Auckland, some go north to BOI, but many, due to time restrictions just head south to Rotorua and down SH1 to Wellington, across on the ferry and then go right around the South Island. Its a shame as the North Island has a varied landscape, with much to be enjoyed.
The Bay of Plenty is great, with Tauranga and The Mount busy spots, but heading towards Gisborne and Napier through rural NZ is lovely. I am from Taranaki, and New Pymouth, driving around the coast road gives rise to great volcanic grey surf beaches with the beautiful Mount Taranaki as an inland view to die for...when its out from under the clouds!!! Many visit...and never see it...!!
Wellington is amazing, the Cable car from the city centre is cool, walk along Oriental Parade looking at the marina and out across the bay to Lower Hutt, and all the painted wooden house on the hills...beautiful! Te Papa Museum on the waterfront in Wellington is free and a must!! Try and go to Eastbourne...
The Ferry across to the South Island is an amazing ride, 3 hours of views to die for!
Once in the SI, your biggest decision...which way round to drive!!??
Highlights... Nelson, try and go to Motueka, Ruakaka and if you are game for a great drive, Totoranui Beach has a campsite right on an awesome golden beach...just take some insect repellent! Lovely walks from here into Abel Tasman National park. This area is very "crafty" with many local artists having galleries enroute.
Whale watching in Kaikoura, just ask how far out they are... Te Anau and Milford Sounds are geographical beauties, with ferries out along the Sounds...Queenstown is busy, but another trip up the Cable Car there will give superb views across the lake and mountains. Lake Tekapo is a limestone lake with picture perfect turquoise blue waters...lovely old stone church here!!
There is much to do in the SI...enjoy! I feel like I could go on...and on...but much is all about what happens on the day, who you meet along the way, and what the weather is like!!!
Make great memories!!!
All the best Kathryn

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
richer.
Yes sounds fine to me plenty of time to see all the sights, having been to 43countries so far(according to my grandson) We have always done it simply with debit or MasterCard and cash as the savings are minimal to the cost of holidays, our view anyway.
Enjoy
Absolutely agree_our standard debit card and a MasterCard has been satisfactory in most places.A bit of cash for the first few days ,and it works for us.
Currently in Wellington.
Good luck

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Well time has marched on and its less than a month till we leave for NZ now.

I got a Saga credit card in the end, now theres a sign of my age now as only one 50 can apply :)

Been looking at joining NZMCA for the ferry discount from Wellington to Picton just the one way.

Whats peoples thoughts on joining, will there be plenty of other discounts i.e. visitor sites etc to make it worth while.

Thanks Rich

Arnica

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
Bolton le Sands Carnforth
Funster No
MH
Geist Touring 652 C Class
Exp
Nine years
Been looking at joining NZMCA for the ferry discount from Wellington to Picton just the one way.

Whats peoples thoughts on joining, will there be plenty of other discounts i.e. visitor sites etc to make it worth while.

The NZMCA is a great organization and the members are very kindly disposed to us POMS.
They have a P O P system, short for Park Over Property, where members offer free parking on their land to fellow.members for free, usually providing ehu, water and waste disposal, making it a great way to get to know the locals. They also have a penchant for displaying the pet names of their vehicles in large lettering and graphics to die for.
It was through touring in this way that friendships were made and help was given in setting up a NZ bank account which for following visits made financial transactions a case of out of UK account into NZ account.
To use a kiwi expression, I think you will find the NZ experience AWSOME!
Hope you find that usefull. Enjoy!

Thanks Rich[/QUOTE]

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013

I got a Saga credit card in the end, now theres a sign of my age now as only one 50 can apply :)

Thanks Rich

The main advantage of joining would be having access to their places to park up overnight,we were lucky enough to borrow one off friends when we arrived,stopped at some incredible locations and saved a fortune!

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
We fly on Friday to NZ , figure of 8 tour around both islands . Mix of BnBs , hotels and apartments with car hire .
SOOOOOOOOO EXCITED !

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Kathryn

Sorry i didn't reply to your post.
Off in around a months time :)

Adbt Nice one our paths will cross at some point no doubt (y)

Soaringman Is that the Old Pats in Cheltenham :D

Arnica Think ill join NZCMA such a small amount compared to the amount we are spending out.

Counting down the days now :D

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+

Thanks Rich
Kathryn

Sorry i didn't reply to your post.
Off in around a months time :)

Adbt Nice one our paths will cross at some point no doubt (y)

Soaringman Is that the Old Pats in Cheltenham :D

Arnica Think ill join NZCMA such a small amount compared to the amount we are spending out.

Counting down the days now :D
You are making a good decision to join the NZMCA.
There is 130 joining fee plus 80 dollars but you will save many
Times that and meet some great vanners.
We just parted company with some members ,one couple having
Lived in their van for 7years now,and value the association highly.We met them by chance in Napier and they immediately
Had good advice about where to park!
Good luck

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
All admin to ship our Comanche later in the year done! It goes in July so a few things to do but date set.

I understand that the NZMCA joining fee is waived if you're a memeber of the CC or the C&CC so that's a big saving, we'll be joining.

Very much like the travelex card we're using now in Portugal so will stick with that for NZ

Oopened an account with UKFOREX to pay bills in NZ, all easily done online then they call you to confirm arrangements.

Plan tomtry and open an NZ bank account & then transfer funds using the FOREX account.

Thanks everyone for all the good stuff so far in this post, v useful!

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
All admin to ship our Comanche later in the year done! It goes in July so a few things to do but date set.

I understand that the NZMCA joining fee is waived if you're a memeber of the CC or the C&CC so that's a big saving, we'll be joining.

Very much like the travelex card we're using now in Portugal so will stick with that for NZ

Oopened an account with UKFOREX to pay bills in NZ, all easily done online then they call you to confirm arrangements.

Plan to try and open an NZ bank account & then transfer funds using the FOREX account.

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp

Plan to try and open an NZ bank account & then transfer funds using the FOREX account.

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back