New Zealand tour

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by richr, Nov 25, 2015.

1. richr

richr Funster

Morning all

So the MH is booked flights are booked and stop overs booked.
    I now need to get to the nitty gritty of the subject so close to many of our hearts money

What's the general consensus of how to pay for things ie shopping fuel tips etc.
    I have signed up for a pre load Thomas Cook card but had a look at some of the fees and they seemed a bit steep.
    The card is a Mastercard pre load.
    I prefer to use something I know how much is on it and what the exchange rate is.

Any help much appreciated.
    The trip is in March 2016.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Cossieg

Cossieg Funster

I'm using a travelex supercard in Portugal and it has b v good so far. Exchange rate seems ok and no chrages for getting cash which is a saving.

Keen to hear about your trip, we ship our van to NZ next year and then plan a 6 month tour in it.

Have you got a 3 sim to use?

3. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

We visit NZ at least every 18 months and the USA yearly as well as Europe and have found the HalifaxClarity card to be excellent. The only problem we had was using it to buy fuel in Italy. When we tour NZ we stay in BB, lodges and small hotels, as much as we love Motorhoming we find this much cheaper. :)

4. richr

richr Funster

Looked into 3 sim. I was told by a guy in the store it's good for calling back to the uk but if used in NZ you get charged for roaming.

We will be using Skype and only need a phone for emergencies.

I need to check costing of getting a sim over in NZ and going pre pay.
    2gb a month should be plenty I think.

I was also told you can't use a phone sim in an ipad or tether an ipad to a phone on pre pay.

It's a mine field out there

5. richr

richr Funster

Davidbaldam

I wanted to do the full experience with lots of wilding on or by beaches.
    Didn't want to be tied down to a schedule

Will have to look into the Halifax then, thanks.

I had heard Nationwide can be good for traveling as well.

6. etap

etap Funster

When we go to NZ and stopovers we usually buy some NZ dollars and Aussie ones ( if that is a stopover) also always take some pounds, and the other stops we use a MasterCard who now give you the commercial rate but deduct 2.75 percent , it is easy to get money in most hotels or towns and for fuel use MasterCard, don't know how long you are going for our trips are usually 5 or 6 weeks.
    Have a wonderful time.

7. Clickem

Clickem Funster

We went in February and I would also recommend the Halifax Clarity CC, we used it in NZ and extensively in Europe. For cash we use a Caxton Global Traveller Card. You can load the card in about 8 different currencies, including NZ Dollars

Caxton card is a Mastercard so you can use it to pay for things but we just used it for cash from ATM's as the Halifax Clarity is tops for exchange rate, for fuel food etc. The Caxton card is linked to your UK current account and you can top it up as needed on Internet or even set it up so it can be topped up by text

If you had any currency left on the card when you get back you can change it to Euros or draw it back into your bank. Thing I like is if the card is lost or stolen, you do not need to have much money on it, to lose. You choose exchange rate from what is going rate at the time you decide to load it

8. richr

richr Funster

etap

Our trip is nearly 3 months long

Stop overs are Hong Kong and Australia so happy to just use my normal debit card from UK. As it's only a few days and payment for hotels are in sterling on my credit card pre booked.

9. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

setting of today to Hongkong then In a weeks time to New Zealand ,
    will be trying out the new revolut card that gives great exchange rates in over 80 currencies,
    Not sure how good it will be but very good write ups so far, plus the bonus of no charges for getting money from a ATM and best rates
    in comparison to banks,
    will try it tomorrow in Hong Kong and report back

10. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

a link if anyone is interested,
    https://revolut.com/
    if it does what it says then it's one in the eye for the commercial banks:)

11. Tony Roberts

Tony Roberts

Hi Rich,
    We will nearly cross. We have bought a motorhome in the UK and are booked to fly over in February.
    Another place you could visit is the Rugby Union headquarters in Wellington. A nice looking cup is still there.
    Have a great time.
    tony

• Like Like x 3
  12. etap

etap Funster

richer.
    Yes sounds fine to me plenty of time to see all the sights, having been to 43countries so far(according to my grandson) We have always done it simply with debit or MasterCard and cash as the savings are minimal to the cost of holidays, our view anyway.
    Enjoy

13. richr

richr Funster

Tony R

Good thinking re Rugby cup
    we do like our Rugby

14. rb62

rb62 Funster

As we banked with HSBC we put in place a regular transfer into our debit card account for withdrawing cash at HSBC branches in NZ and a Santander Zero credit card for everything else!
    You'll have a great time.

15. Steve and Kat

Steve and Kat Funster

East Sussex, Nr Bateman's & West Sussex, Horsham
    Hi Rich, my better half is a Kiwi. I’m sure she can guide you with some places to go. As soon as she has finished her surgery hours i’ll get her to logon and update you. Are you going to both North and South Islands ?

16. nelly

nelly Funster

We are off on Fri morning to NZ i am a cash man so have changed some money to take with us and going to use debit cards as well

Neil

17. richr

richr Funster

Hi Steve
    Yep North and South

Starting in the North and dropping to the South with one way hire on the MH.

Would be help with an idea of time needed in the North before going South.

Not booked the ferry yet so that needs doing.

Any pointers would be great always open to suggestions

18. Steve and Kat

Steve and Kat Funster

East Sussex, Nr Bateman's & West Sussex, Horsham
    Yep, I am sure Kat can give you some pointers... She’ll be back early PM...

19. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

For tethering from a MiFi and an ipad you need a mobile data sim, not a normal phone sim. Three do them and NZ is one of their feel at home countries so you will only pay UK rates. You can get PAYG version. You may have problems using one sim for three months so get two or three and swap them every month. They cost peanuts or a free depending how you get them.
    http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

For money a simple visa debit card should give you a good rate without charges. You pay the visa rate at the time of the purchase or shortly after. The rates are here, if using an ATM always ask to be charged in sterling, so you get the visa rate. Don't let them charge you in the local currency as the ATM bank will use their own almost certainly poorer rate. https://www.visaeurope.com/making-payments/exchange-rates

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. houdini

houdini Funster

David bought a local sim card for his phone when we got out there.
    I took my iPad 2 linked to my Virgin Pay As You Go phone which is paid by direct debit.
    We also loaded Tom Tom NZ on the iPad which was very good as it works via GPS. Internet reception was very spasmodic and I did find the iPad didn't always connect to the internet when on camp sites, so couldn't rely on it all the time but we were in some quite remote places sometimes.

We used a prepaid Post Office NZD Travel Money card, think you can do it online, it was fairly easy to top up.

Personally would allow more time in the South Island, and finish with the spectacular west coast on that island. :)