New Zealand by Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just wondering if anyone had done any MHing in New Zealand?

Any recommendations for good hire companies?

Would you do North or South Island in Feb Mar?

Thanks just in case

Jon

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
In 2013 we rented a Maui Motorhome from New Zealand Campervan.
We found the service at Maui was excellant, the van was in good condition, looking round all the vans on the Maui site looked almost new.
Collection from the Airport was good.
We picked it up in Auckland and left it in Queenstown.
Had a great holiday.
North or South!!! Very different geography and scenery. For me if you have the time do both.
Rented a car last year, but did not enjoy it so much.
Don't go January, too busy, March is good and all offer discounts starting March for rentals.
New Zealand is Motorhome heaven.
Have a good trip.:)

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
We downloaded the App with all the campsites and free parkings from Rankers NZ, we found it very good, worth the few $'s with recommendations as to the site, location and good descriptions and price.
https://www.rankers.co.nz/ Lots of info on the site re Campervans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
My nephew did it a few years ago with his fiancé. Used Maui too. They travelled extensively as had tickets for the rugby at every venue so we're there a 6 weeks and loved it.

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
Some fantastic places and views in NZ
You need a month to have a look round.
Then go back for a holiday (y)
IMG_1172.JPG
IMG_1173.JPG

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
We're in NZ now in our own motorhome which we imported. Here for nearly 3 months, 3 months to go! A month is a waste of time IMHO, you need longer to make it worthwhile! Very busy at the moment so Feb/Mar a much better idea. Lots of bad feeling here against renters in slammer vans causing problems. I would join the NZMCA which has lots of benefits including places to stop which are cheap & very good. You make the membership fee back in the saving you get with the interisland ferry alone!

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
we swapped our motorhome last year for five months and as been said a month doesn't do it justice,
too much to see in such a short time, definitely join the NZMCC and if you are affiliated to a club here you get a big discount,
i would go again in an heartbeat, absolutely stunning place pictures don't do it' justice,

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
We went for 9 weeks in 2012,Sept-Nov,did North Island first then South following the spring weather. You would need to do it the other way round although you might never make it to North Island! We did 11,000 Km in the time we were there.
We used. https://www.motorhomebookers.com/. to book ours,the newer the van the more expensive it is! I think Maui are the newest and after so many Km they get passed down the line,we had a Britz which is last in the line I think and a bit rough round the edges but we had no problems.

Would go back tomorrow!

Apr 20, 2015
Blenheim, New Zealand
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a newbie
Well worth joining the NZMCA. Busy on the roads at present, we are setting off mid February for about six weeks around the South Island.
Enjoy your trip.

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Thanks everyone

some good info to be going at. We realise we are not going to do it all in one trip but could have a good taste of it..

Jon & Sue

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We toured New Zealand for three months in a Britz van, an was perfect and the service from Britz was fantastic even to the point the stereo stopped working so we thought we better tell them. We rang them, ten minutes later they phoned us back and told us to go down the road about 3 miles to the garage ask for Bert. Bert came out and fitted another stereo. We had a ball and would go back tomorrow. We went on to Australia from New Zealand and because we had had the van from Britz we got a deal in Australia for another two and a half months. Enjoy.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Another vote for Maui, newest MH as others say. We took 6 weeks to visit both islands. We only pre-booked first night campsite going Feb/March. There is a great tourist radio system provided that uses GPS to pick up local attractions and campsites and tells you all about them in advance so you know what to look out for. We did lots of wild camping on the South Island, not so much opportunity on the North a Island.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Forgot your other question...
Weather in South Island beginning to get chilly in February. We did have some lovely days but many below freezing overnight as the month went on. Luckily we had a MH for 4 and was equipped for 4 so we were able to use two sets of duvets and pillows each!
When you go to pick up place, look for the area where those returning their MH gave deposited stuff they have bought along the way. You can help yourself to lots of useful items.
Having recommended Maui, I would add that we saw no evidence of broken down MH from other companies and we chatted to a lot of people on campsites and no one said "I wouldn't use this or that company again"
Enjoy!

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
We're in NZ at the mo. 8 weeks staying with son and family part of the time and touring too. Hired a van in south Island before Christmas and picking up another in Auckland on Saturday. Hired from Wilderness Motorhomes both times. Excellent company with a fleet of newish Burstners. We're going to be trying one with the drop down electric bed which will be interesting as we might want to downsize sometime.
Not cheap but then nothing is over here. Bread and water when we get home!

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
Weather in South Island beginning to get chilly in February. We did have some lovely days but many below freezing overnight as the month went on. Luckily we had a MH for 4 and was equipped for 4 so we were able to use two sets of duvets and pillows each!
When you go to pick up place, look for the area where those returning their MH gave deposited stuff they have bought along the way. You can help yourself to lots of useful items.
Having recommended Maui, I would add that we saw no evidence of broken down MH from other companies and we chatted to a lot of people on campsites and no one said "I wouldn't use this or that company again"
Enjoy!

We did the same, lots of good stuff, felt a bit embarrassed but the people at Maui said, Just take what you want, if you don't use it leave it in the van for someone else.
First thing we did was to stop and use the 4 rolls of kitchen roll in between all the plates, glasses and cuttlery to stop them rattling, the noise was unbearable, after that was perfect!!
This year in January, was cold in the South on the coast, 3 years ago in March it was was like summer, just like the weather anywhere "unreliable" :)

Apr 20, 2015
Blenheim, New Zealand
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a newbie
So far we haven't had a hot summer which has been disappointing as it is our first summer here after living the last 10 years in the UK. Hopefully the weather improves this month. PM us if you need any assistance. We live in Blenheim which is in the top of the South Island.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi @jonegood , I went for just six weeks and spent most of it on the South Island out of choice but I motored round using boutique hotels and homestops. Met loads of Motorhomers on our travels though. My sister in law is out there now for three months in a rented Mo-Ho

The only place I've ever been where I could have gladly lived if it wasn't for the gap between us and the grandchildren.

What a pity we didn't get round to having this chat at Shrewsbury last week.

Best of luck with your trip.

Griff

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We are off on 24th for a month. Made a conscious decision not to travel with a motorhome but stopping in a mixture of very nice hotels, boutique hotels and farmstays. Flying to Auckland for 3 days and then to Christchurch to pick up a rental car, getting back to Auckland a month later to fly home. Flying Korean Airlines who are putting us up in a hotel during the stopover in Seoul. Flown long haul with them before. Very good airline

Apr 20, 2015
Blenheim, New Zealand
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a newbie
We are off on 24th for a month. Made a conscious decision not to travel with a motorhome but stopping in a mixture of very nice hotels, boutique hotels and farmstays. Flying to Auckland for 3 days and then to Christchurch to pick up a rental car, getting back to Auckland a month later to fly home. Flying Korean Airlines who are putting us up in a hotel during the stopover in Seoul. Flown long haul with them before. Very good airline
Enjoy

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Were in NZ too, this is our 5th visit as 2 of ours sons live here. In the past we've hired a medium size car and stayed in lodges, small hotels and B&Bs. Wish we could afford to import our van and travel for 3 to 4 months, then leave it here for future holiday, nice dream but. :)

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi @jonegood , I went for just six weeks and spent most of it on the South Island out of choice but I motored round using boutique hotels and homestops. Met loads of Motorhomers on our travels though. My sister in law is out there now for three months in a rented Mo-Ho

The only place I've ever been where I could have gladly lived if it wasn't for the gap between us and the grandchildren.

What a pity we didn't get round to having this chat at Shrewsbury last week.

Best of luck with your trip.

Griff

Thanks for the info Griff. It is a shame we didnt get to talk at Shrewsbury, but maybe you had a lucky escape - I was suffering with a heavy cold and trying not to spread it.

Jon

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed My advise would be if you are going to NZ allow at least 4 weeks for the North Island and the South Island you will need at least 5 weeks.

We went there March 2015 and went to the North Island first.

We hired from WENDEKREISEN Not the newest of MoHo but clean and never let us down.
They collected us from the airport and dropped us off at the hire end. If they can't collect or drop you get a taxi and they refund you.

You will find the top hirers sell their MoHo after a couple of years to another hirer and so on down the line.

I can't remember the exact amount we paid for the MoHo but it was less than half of one of the top hirers.

You can pay over twice what we did for a MoHo but I wasn't worried about having the latest model but value for money.

I went for the full monty regarding insurance and it covered everything tyres, underbody damage, windscreen etc. This also included camping chairs/table, sat nav, tv etc.

I may just be tight but I couldn't see the point in paying top money for a shiny MoHo just to park it somewhere and some dope mark it and I would have to pick up the cost of.
Plus you will fit in with the locals better if you are driving something a bit older :)

If you are going to both islands do as others have said going the NZMCA they have good cheap sites and cheaper ferry crossings.

You won't be disappointed thats for sure the South Island can start to get a bit chilly from May time and we were told some roads can be closed for a bit due to snow.

I would go again at the drop of a hat Beautiful country with friendly natives and they nearly speak English :)

If you need more info feel free to pm me (y)

Ps should have said we wild camped 95% of the time there without grief and often at the edge of the sea

IMG_2502.JPG
IMG_1828.JPG

Elleeanne

Free Member
Nov 2, 2016
Lochlea, Nr Kilmarnock, Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 2016
We're going in Feb/Mar to visit our son and grandchildren and hoping to do a few weeks touring in a MH. All info from Funsters here has been so very useful. Thanks

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Enjoy!

Can I just check:- We re total NZ novices but understood that February was their Summer and March the stop of autumn. So would it not be like August September here, but you mentioned freezing temperatures? Is this right?

Thanks in advance

Jon & Sue

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
Can I just check:- We re total NZ novices but understood that February was their Summer and March the stop of autumn. So would it not be like August September here, but you mentioned freezing temperatures? Is this right?

Thanks in advance

Jon & Sue
That's correct, summer is Dec, Jan, Feb and Autum is March, April, May.
But there is a big difference from the North to South islands in climate.
We have been in Jan, mid summer in the South Island and can be cool then hot!! Weather can be very changeable. But we had the better weather 3 years ago in March, also less people traveling. Would not go again in January, its like France in August, well you know what I mean!! Everyone is on holiday that month.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
The weather can be changeable whenever you go,after all they're islands in the roaring 40's! We were very lucky with their 'spring' weather,Sept-Nov,only one days rain on North Island.The first calm crossing to South Island after the winter and even better weather......except!
On the 1st Nov we met some friends in Geraldine,south of Christchurch,and sat out in 30 degrees! the following day we drove up to the DOC site at Mount Cook,got a dig in the ribs at 5.30 the next morning,it was snowing! Interesting drive back to Twizle,so expect anything! and yes it is a colour photo! If you want anymore info were only in Newport.

image.jpeg

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Flights are now booked . We have about 6 weeks in NZ (I know but we can always come back if we like it).
So the rough plan is to have a few days in Auckland before flying to Christchurch to pick up motorhome to then explore South Island and then cross onto North island and see how far we get before we run out of time.

Wendekreisen are coming up with massively cheaper quotes than anyone else $5000 instead of $10000 but mhs do look a little tired, has anyone got a good halfway recommendation?

Also any must see places that we might miss?

Thanks again

Jon & sue

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
The bottom of the 'established' renters is Britz I think,bit rough round the edges but it did the job! The cutlery draw had to live on the floor as it fell out on the first corner!
As for places you might miss,depends whats on your list already and what roads have reopened! We steered clear of the big trip boats on Milford and Doubtful sounds and went on the smaller boats that held about 40 people.Unfortunately the seal pup stream at Ohau point near
Kaikora was destroyed in the earthquake :( we would have missed it if it wasn't for the other vans parked there so always a sign that there is something worth seeing!

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We ve finally used shareacamper.com and rented a NZ motorhomers camper for a month. We would love any suggestions of things to see or places to stop predominantly in South island although we do intend to come back across to North island if we ve got time ( we ve got to drop it back off in wellington anyway)

Thnaks in advance
Jon & Sue

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Glad you've go a van sorted always a good start! as for places to see!

Arthurs pass,somehow Ros managed to get in in our route three times,but worth it! We covered most of the South Island from Farewell spit in the north to Sterling point in the south.Apart from the well publisised places,Milford,Doubtfull,Moreaki boulders,Pankake rocks we did places like theTotara sheep station (free if your NT members) it's where the shipping of frozen lamb started.Also Denniston plateau where there's a coal mining museum with the Coalbrookdale and Ironbridge seams! Banks peninsula and Akaroa,nice free camp at Wainui looking back across Akaroa harbour where the cruise liners moored when we were there.
Of the 30 nights we we're on South Island we stayed on a campsite for 5 and free camped the rest,much easier on South Island.I could show you on a map!
When you get to North island and you're in Wellington it's worth spending a day in Te Papa museum,the story of NZ.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back