New wannabe full timer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by lmjr, Aug 29, 2008.

1. lmjr

lmjr Deleted User

Hi there :BigGrin:

I am very glad to have found your site! I have been thinking about going full time now for over a year, and this place has given me a lot of information and inspiration...

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to jump straight to an RV - I hope that thinking about doing this in a caravan while I save my hard earned pennies isn't frowned upon here? Looking at your "Cost" thread has helped a lot, and based on what I have seen there, I would hope to be able to change to a good sized RV within a year or so :Cool:

I am enjoying trawling through all the threads here, and seeing how happy most people are doing this. I look forward to joining you.

I will try to ensure that I don't repeat any questions, or post in the wrong place.

Cheers
    Lee
    :thumb:

2. artona

artona

Hi Lee

What sort of budget are you talking about

stew

3. lmjr

lmjr Deleted User

Hi Stew,

I reckon that with the money I can save on rent & bills, plus the return of my deposit, plus the sale of the caravan, added to a years worth of hardwork - I should be able to raise around £35k - £40k. I know that this isn't a lot in terms of RV's that are big enough to live in full time, but I am hoping that if I do this in steps that in a few years time I will have been able to upgrade again...

Thanks for your interest - and any ideas/opinions greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Lee

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Lee, £40k is absolutely a lot! You can get a lot of RV for that money; esp in today's economic climate. Most people think that RVs are waaay to expensive, they see images of £200,000 motorhomes and assume they are all that much money.

Very often you can pull on a site in an older RV, to those that don't know, you look like the the most expensive rig there, where in reality, most of the new A class Europeans cost MUCH more. New RV's are expensive, but they lose vast amounts in the first 5-10 years, but will go on for 15 or more years! Shop around with your 40k and you will be able to find an RV between 5 and 10 years old that will last you many years. Have fun and welcome to the site:thumb:

5. artona

artona

Hi Lee

What sort of initial figure are you talking about? I know of a 30 footer stunning RV for sale at £10k. Caravans, unless you are talking about the Hobbies are not really that suited for fulltiming imho.

stew

6. lmjr

lmjr Deleted User

10k as an initial figure is within reach :Smile: I would be interested in knowing more if possible? I was advised by a friend who owns an RV that it ought to be above 27 feet for full timing, so this sounds good...

Cheers
    Lee

7. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: THAT is MORE than enough to buy a decent RV. Unless of course you were thinking of buying NEW?
    Welcome to MotorhomeFun. :Wink:

8. lmjr

lmjr Deleted User

I wasn't thinking of new, just nice and big enough to live in... :Smile:
    I think I have been looking in the wrong places by the sounds of things!

9. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: In that case? Book a trip to the USA. Buy an RV, tour for a while and ship it back. :Wink:

10. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

waste of money !

DONT get an rv unless you have got loads of dosh for fuel and don't mind looking for places to park it. i know that this will upset people with them, but horses for courses. i have a six berth autotrail that has a table for 4 people , the usual self contained showersyhower eyc and a rear lounge for looking at the view etc. it returns 25/30 mpg rather than 12 and you can empty the cassete toilet easily instead of through a pipe if you can find a site that can cope !!! also you can get around scotlands single track roads and cornwall without upsetting the locals. if i have upset anybody then too bad, that's my view !

11. artona

artona

Hi

:Rofl1::Rofl1:if i have upset anybody then too bad, that's my view ! and entitled to it you are, obviously an accountant you are not :Laughing:. Your van will ahve cost probably £20k - £30k more than an RV and even at todays prices thats a lot of fuel.

As for roads if a bus can get down it so can an RV and as for campsites its not normally a problem

but hey everyone to their own

stew

12. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Just like add my support to the above. The big RVs are lovely but the difficulty of parking, manoevering round narrow roads and the ever increasing cost of fuel needs to be considered.
    Another point previously made however is that although there are spacious European vans, you don't get as much for your money as with the US RVs. Many spacious Euro vans do have quite limited payloads which you need to watch out for for long terming. Mine has over half a ton on the uprated chassis, though of course I take up most of that just by getting on board:Rofl1:

13. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

One needs to remember there are two types of fulltimers, those who sit on a site for most of the year and go to local rallies and an annual holiday and those who tour extensively. For the former an RV makes perfect sense and for the latter it does not. As for narrow roads, well the narrow roads of Devon and Cornwall do not stop articulated lorries or coaches, or even massive hay laden trailers so maybe it is not so much the vehicle as the way they are driven. Each to their own. An RV offers a lot of goodies for a fulltimer. Plus the space for a fairly "normal" life. Good luck with your purchase and new life.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  14. spudandpatricia

spudandpatricia Read Only Funster

Good luck on hopes of full timing

Keep on planning, all things good take a while.

I've been planning for years, slowly coming to. Still working, but not far off getting out altogether. We are all ruled by circumstances , whatever anyone say. So hope yours come together in a positive way.

In my opinion an RV is not needed for fulltiming. They're o.k., but not imperative.

It all depends on your budget, keep in mind ongoing costs of staying on the road also.

Good luck.

15. slickmouse

slickmouse Read Only Funster

Don't bother going to the USA to buy, get one here and haggle hard, trust me you'll get a bargain there plenty about

16. Chrisdy

Chrisdy Read Only Funster

For fulltiming, many RVs have something that no European MH can offer - slideouts. The difference they make on site should not be understestimated. If you go for a C Class RV, with 2 or even 3 slides, they are not that much larger on the road than a large Euro MH, yet the difference in space on site is huge. Have a look on the Travelworld website New & Used American Motorhomes - RV Sales - Travelworld Telford UK not necessarily with a view to buying from them, but just to give you an idea of the options with a s/h RV. There is at least one C-Class, 29', with a slideout, at under £20,000 for example. Worth a look just for info.