New van nearly wiped out..... (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We had our first trip out in our brand new Van at the weekend.

Going Eastbound on the M25 just past Clackett Lane Services, it's four lanes and we were in Lane 3, as we were passing an articulated lorry -my front wheels were 5fy past the rear axle of the lorry, the driver either got distracted or dozed off....he veered from lane 2 into our lane... All his offside wheels were in our lane, I could not move over to lane 4 as I was being overtaken and had I moved I would of forced the driver into the central reservation.

Talk about scary..... The lorry driver was oblivious to all this as the lorry ripped off my near side wing mirror.. I blasted my horn, he moved back and continued on his way.

I was so angry I chased him and managed to get in front of him and using my hazards, I slowed him down and with arm signals got him to pull into an emergency lay by (no hard shoulder on this speech).

It was a British registered lorry - the driver came out of his cab and didn't have a clue what had gone on. I vented my spleen and showed him the damage -thankfully no damage was caused to the body of the van, however it became apparent the driver could not speak English except to say no, no...oh and he could shrug his shoulders...

He got in his lorry and drove off , however not before I photographed him and the lorry.

So this morning I rang the company whose lorry it was and they advised that all their cabs have dash cams - great I said, you will be able to see your driver veer across the lanes and see me talking to him in the layby. They have promised to come back to me tomorrow having viewed the footage and spoken to the driver. I told them I will be billing them for the replacement of the wing mirror as a minimum.

I reported it to the police but they say because I am now in contact with the vehicle owners they do not consider it a police matter. I asked what would it take to become a police matter.... Me being forced off the road and taking out another vehicle? They declined to comment.

Will see what happens.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Bloody hell thats an awful experience!
Good luck with getting paid out!

Jul 30, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Pegaso
Exp
New to Motorhoming
That sounds terrifying - thankfully you were not hurt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Have you already ordered your own dash cam?

Glad you are OK, but your own camera would have given the company no option but to pay out

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hopefully it will be sorted out but non the less very scary, glad you are alright. Do you have a dash cam fitted, a good example of there worth.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Scary stuff. I hope you get paid for the damage soon. Now you've got that out of the way... Enjoy your new van (y)

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Have ordered a dash cam!!!!

By hook or by crook I will get them to pay for the damage.

I found out that adrenalin is brown and very runny!!!!

New van is great thanks.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
It's a good thing SOMEONE was awake :Eeek::Eeek:
Glad you are ok and I hope to get paid out.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If they refuse to pay use the small claims court. Have done this in the past when a skip driver damaged a van. As soon as they were notified I had filed a claim,, they paid up

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Sorry to hear about your accident - I travel a lot for work and spend way too many hours every day on motorways (in the car) and I now see more people texting and tapping away on their phone than I do people making actual calls. It is *so* annoying!!! And I can spot them a mile off now, they're always driving 10mph slower than the flow of traffic, with the slight weave left and right in their lane as they look up every now and then and see they've drifted a bit.

What annoys me more is that if you sound your horn at them, you normally get two fingers as a response - yeah, because I'm in the wrong for sounding my horn at you?!

I've often been tempted to stick a whacking great camcorder on my side window, pointing direction at them, with a big sign saying "SMILE!! Your fine is in the post!" but it's a safe bet that even if I submitted video footage to the police, they wouldn't act upon it (for whatever reason).

This though:

I asked what would it take to become a police matter.... Me being forced off the road and taking out another vehicle? They declined to comment.

This REALLY gets my goat!!!

I have the utmost respect for our uniformed services and I realise that this is not the way they want it to be either, but alas this is the world we live in today.

And putting it politely, it kinda sucks :(

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i passed a car on german plates on the m25 recently doing at least seventy had a clip board resting on the wheel and was texting

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Update:

Surrey Police have come back to me and apologised for their intital response. They will be treating it as a criminal event on the grounds of failing to stop after an accident and failing to provide driver details. The potential charge of rriving without due care and attention will be hard to prove without other witness's or evidence. They reckoned the dash cam on the lorry may develop a fault and not be useable....... Hwever, at least they are taking it seriously.

Thr company who own the lorry have today been in touch and say "Whilst we continue to investigate this incident, can you please provide a quote for the mirror replacement" So things may be moving forward in a postive way (or not when they get a £300 quote for new mirror supplied and fitted...)

Lets see.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Update:

Surrey Police have come back to me and apologised for their intital response. They will be treating it as a criminal event on the grounds of failing to stop after an accident and failing to provide driver details. The potential charge of rriving without due care and attention will be hard to prove without other witness's or evidence. They reckoned the dash cam on the lorry may develop a fault and not be useable....... Hwever, at least they are taking it seriously.

Thr company who own the lorry have today been in touch and say "Whilst we continue to investigate this incident, can you please provide a quote for the mirror replacement" So things may be moving forward in a postive way (or not when they get a £300 quote for new mirror supplied and fitted...)

Lets see.
Good luck. Just glad it was only a wing mirror and not something more serious.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC

Keep us posted please (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Try driving on the Italian autostrada! I quickly learned the trucks rarely kept in their lanes and to be very wary overtaking trucks on bends - too many trucks keep going straight on. :)

I'm not drawing comparisons with the OP but on my first drive with our MH I never went went fast enough to overtake a lorry. Even now I always keep a close eye on them both when approaching from behind for signs of weaving and when overtaking, often accelerating to get past quickly.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Update:

Haulage company have agreed to pay for the replacement of the damaged mirror. I sent them the quote form local Fiat Van Dealer and they did not quibble. Very apologetic etc etc - good result out of a scary incident

So whilst I have the inconvenience of having to take it to the repairers at least I got it replaced.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
photographing the driver and the truck will have played a big part in your successful outcome. Hopefully the driver got his P45 or whatever the polish/eastern european version is P45ski

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Update:

Haulage company have agreed to pay for the replacement of the damaged mirror. I sent them the quote form local Fiat Van Dealer and they did not quibble. Very apologetic etc etc - good result out of a scary incident

So whilst I have the inconvenience of having to take it to the repairers at least I got it replaced.
Top result!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Glad it wasn't a lot worse. And glad the firm are coughing up for the repairs.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
And Surrey Police are in contact with the driver - given the Company are paying up, the police believe it strengthens their case.
Apparently the dash camera was on and has suitable evidence of driving without due care and attendance. That and failing to report an accident and not providing details means the driver is in deep do do....

Haulage company advised that he has been dismissed.

Good!!!!!!

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Sorry to hear of Incident
One reason I bought a dash cam
The other was a white van driver at a junction realised over line and reverse back onto bonnet of my car.
Thankfully he admitted and claim sorted quickly however got me thinking as could have said I ran into him.
Dash now goes between car and MH depending what I am driving would not be without it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you've been been very fortunate! :D The truck dashcam, according to the OP, would have recorded a truck being forced to slow down on the carriageway of the M25 and being directed to an emergency lay-by. Good job no one ran into the back of the truck while all this was going on over a bit of plastic and glass.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I think we have been extremely fortunate. We survived an incident which could of had catastrophic consequences for ourselves and others.

By stopping, we have been able to ensure that the police will apprehend and prosecute a driver who through his actions is clearly unsafe on the roads and hopefully will be prevented from putting other people at risk.

So no, it was not just about a bit of plastic and glass.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Good to hear that the company has accepted responsibility , it does show the worth of a dash-cam, good when a post is followed through by the OP to the conclusion, thank you.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think you've been been very fortunate! :D The truck dashcam, according to the OP, would have recorded a truck being forced to slow down on the carriageway of the M25 and being directed to an emergency lay-by. Good job no one ran into the back of the truck while all this was going on over a bit of plastic and glass.
But the dashcam also films the driver of the vehicle and may well show all sorts

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
Hi, newbie to the forum and MHing. A harrowing tale for sure that (thankfully) didn't involve injury or more serious damage whilst serving as a convincing argument for dash cams. Without wishing to make light of your experience, sadly it is the sort of incident that anyone who drives a reasonable mileage witnesses on a too frequent basis. The thing I can't get over is the cost of the replacement. Ok, I appreciate that modern mirrors (can) contain all sorts of electrical gizmos (motor, heater, indicator repeater, antenna, temp sensor etc.), but they are a bunch of mass produced components fitted in a mass produced plastic housing. How the hell can anyone justify charging 300 quid for something like that?! There are cars on the road that cost less!

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Actually it is worse than that......

Fiat Mirror : £290.00