New van nearly wiped out.....

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jdk62, Aug 1, 2016.

1. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

We had our first trip out in our brand new Van at the weekend.

Going Eastbound on the M25 just past Clackett Lane Services, it's four lanes and we were in Lane 3, as we were passing an articulated lorry -my front wheels were 5fy past the rear axle of the lorry, the driver either got distracted or dozed off....he veered from lane 2 into our lane... All his offside wheels were in our lane, I could not move over to lane 4 as I was being overtaken and had I moved I would of forced the driver into the central reservation.

Talk about scary..... The lorry driver was oblivious to all this as the lorry ripped off my near side wing mirror.. I blasted my horn, he moved back and continued on his way.

I was so angry I chased him and managed to get in front of him and using my hazards, I slowed him down and with arm signals got him to pull into an emergency lay by (no hard shoulder on this speech).

It was a British registered lorry - the driver came out of his cab and didn't have a clue what had gone on. I vented my spleen and showed him the damage -thankfully no damage was caused to the body of the van, however it became apparent the driver could not speak English except to say no, no...oh and he could shrug his shoulders...

He got in his lorry and drove off , however not before I photographed him and the lorry.

So this morning I rang the company whose lorry it was and they advised that all their cabs have dash cams - great I said, you will be able to see your driver veer across the lanes and see me talking to him in the layby. They have promised to come back to me tomorrow having viewed the footage and spoken to the driver. I told them I will be billing them for the replacement of the wing mirror as a minimum.

I reported it to the police but they say because I am now in contact with the vehicle owners they do not consider it a police matter. I asked what would it take to become a police matter.... Me being forced off the road and taking out another vehicle? They declined to comment.

Will see what happens.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Jo662

Jo662 Funster

Bloody hell thats an awful experience!
    Good luck with getting paid out!

3. Moglet

Moglet Funster

That sounds terrifying - thankfully you were not hurt.

4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Have you already ordered your own dash cam?

Glad you are OK, but your own camera would have given the company no option but to pay out

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hopefully it will be sorted out but non the less very scary, glad you are alright. Do you have a dash cam fitted, a good example of there worth.

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Scary stuff. I hope you get paid for the damage soon. Now you've got that out of the way... Enjoy your new van (y)

• Like Like x 1
  7. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

Have ordered a dash cam!!!!

By hook or by crook I will get them to pay for the damage.

I found out that adrenalin is brown and very runny!!!!

New van is great thanks.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Baycott

Baycott Funster

It's a good thing SOMEONE was awake :Eeek::Eeek:
    Glad you are ok and I hope to get paid out.

9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

If they refuse to pay use the small claims court. Have done this in the past when a skip driver damaged a van. As soon as they were notified I had filed a claim,, they paid up

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. RogerThat

RogerThat Funster

1999 Swift Sundance 590RL. North West, UK.
    Sorry to hear about your accident - I travel a lot for work and spend way too many hours every day on motorways (in the car) and I now see more people texting and tapping away on their phone than I do people making actual calls. It is *so* annoying!!! And I can spot them a mile off now, they're always driving 10mph slower than the flow of traffic, with the slight weave left and right in their lane as they look up every now and then and see they've drifted a bit.

What annoys me more is that if you sound your horn at them, you normally get two fingers as a response - yeah, because I'm in the wrong for sounding my horn at you?!

I've often been tempted to stick a whacking great camcorder on my side window, pointing direction at them, with a big sign saying "SMILE!! Your fine is in the post!" but it's a safe bet that even if I submitted video footage to the police, they wouldn't act upon it (for whatever reason).

This though:

This REALLY gets my goat!!!

I have the utmost respect for our uniformed services and I realise that this is not the way they want it to be either, but alas this is the world we live in today.

And putting it politely, it kinda sucks :(

• Like Like x 1
  11. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

i passed a car on german plates on the m25 recently doing at least seventy had a clip board resting on the wheel and was texting

12. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

Update:

Surrey Police have come back to me and apologised for their intital response. They will be treating it as a criminal event on the grounds of failing to stop after an accident and failing to provide driver details. The potential charge of rriving without due care and attention will be hard to prove without other witness's or evidence. They reckoned the dash cam on the lorry may develop a fault and not be useable....... Hwever, at least they are taking it seriously.

Thr company who own the lorry have today been in touch and say "Whilst we continue to investigate this incident, can you please provide a quote for the mirror replacement" So things may be moving forward in a postive way (or not when they get a £300 quote for new mirror supplied and fitted...)

Lets see.

• Like Like x 10
  13. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Good luck. Just glad it was only a wing mirror and not something more serious.

14. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

Many thanks

• Like Like x 1
  15. RogerThat

RogerThat Funster

1999 Swift Sundance 590RL. North West, UK.
    Keep us posted please (y)

16. airwave

airwave Funster

I should bloody well think so too , and i say that as a trucker , myself .

I'm afraid plod are probably rite , with the camera , or else the driver had arranged for it not to work (ie , pulled the plug) .

But , do yourself a favour and get a camera fitted , pronto . Hopefully there won't be a next time but just in case ! .

17. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Try driving on the Italian autostrada! I quickly learned the trucks rarely kept in their lanes and to be very wary overtaking trucks on bends - too many trucks keep going straight on. :)

I'm not drawing comparisons with the OP but on my first drive with our MH I never went went fast enough to overtake a lorry. Even now I always keep a close eye on them both when approaching from behind for signs of weaving and when overtaking, often accelerating to get past quickly.

18. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

Update:

Haulage company have agreed to pay for the replacement of the damaged mirror. I sent them the quote form local Fiat Van Dealer and they did not quibble. Very apologetic etc etc - good result out of a scary incident

So whilst I have the inconvenience of having to take it to the repairers at least I got it replaced.

• Like Like x 13
  19. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

photographing the driver and the truck will have played a big part in your successful outcome. Hopefully the driver got his P45 or whatever the polish/eastern european version is P45ski

20. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Top result!