Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Hi all

Has anyone ever experienced a problem in finding insurance for vans over £50k.

Most firms i have contacted want extra security such as a cat 1 alarm I had one of these fitted to our last van a 2010 Autotrail and what a waste of £400!I
it seemed to me any one having basic vehicle skills could have removed it in about five minuets.
As it appeared to sense voltage drop as well as switched sensors it was just a nusence to us and any one else in ear shot.

As we all have heard these things going off all over Lincoln Show this weekend and I dont think there was one break in just false alarms ?

The other thing they asked for is a Tracker to be fitted apparently to inform the police once you realise it has been stolen.
I am sure more than myself have tried to get the police to respond to something happening, my experience was not reassuring.

S&D

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I had the same problem last year obtaining cover on my van, £50 thousand plus. The stupid part is the Renault alarm/imobiliser in France is classed as a much superior alarm than our Car 1 upgrade. I pointed this out to the insurer but they insisted on the upgrade. I point blank refused a Tracker as they cannot pick up any signal where I live. It ended up costing me £165 for the cat 1 plus some other sensors. Battery drain is very marginal as the alarm is just giving off a pulse so very little power is used.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Mine was just under 50k but they still insisted on a Cat 1 and Tracker, the up side is its cheaper to insure my MH with a max 10k miles per year miles than it is to insure my 8k little car with a max 5k miles per year.:thumb:

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Cat 1 Alarm

Yes Wiljoy
I to tried to explain that the factory fitted unit was far superior to any after market alarm
but with little sucsess as the script they read from did not allow for this.

As for the tracker well we struggle to get a phone signal most of the time.

Maybe its about time manufactures took this on board as it seems rater stupid to have to do this after you purchase the vehicle.

S&D

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Yes Wiljoy
I to tried to explain that the factory fitted unit was far superior to any after market alarm
but with little sucsess as the script they read from did not allow for this.

As for the tracker well we struggle to get a phone signal most of the time.

Maybe its about time manufactures took this on board as it seems rater stupid to have to do this after you purchase the vehicle.

S&D

Good point.
If insurance companies insist on trackers etc, as mine did, then it seems somewhat lacking on the part of the manufacturers not to factory fit them in the first place. Maybe they are blissfully unaware of the situation. Has anyone told them ::bigsmile: ?

I had a Phantom Pro-active tracker fitted to our MH and it appears effective. When the MH moves with it switched on the phone rings straight away to ask if everything is ok. Even when it went in to the dealers for a few jobs to be sorted I had phone calls to tell me that the battery had been disconnected. I had to convince them that all was well and that I would inform them when I was back in possesion of the MH.

Even if the police did nothing and the MH was wrecked or not recovered I have the peace of mind that my insurance was ok and should pay out for a new one ( for the first two years at least), and value it after that.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Now have it sorted out

Hi all

Thanks for the input, I rang the popular companies with not a lot of luck.

Then saw the N F U flag on here (i always assumed it was for farmers cant think why) I found them very helpful and easy to deal with so I will be popping down to day to pay up and collect a cover note.

No silly cat 1 alarms or trackers and I thought a reasonable premium to.

S&D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back