Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
It would seem our MH TV has gone on the blink - works apparently OK but can't change channel, either with handset or with button on the TV itself.

It's never been particularly good - we have a small TV in the kitchen at home that seems to have much better reception when compared with the MH TV, which refuses to pick up BBC1 or 2 on the kitchen aerial - but the kitchen TV doesn't have a 12v option.

So - we need a replacement, and as ever I turn to the inexhaustible fund of good advice to be had from you lot!

We need:-

18" screen
Built in DVD player
Decent sound quality
Robust build (to withstand being carefully stowed away every time we move the 'van)
Option to run on either mains or 12v (I guess 12v only would be an acceptable option)
Not expensive - TV whilst away in the MH isn't a big deal for us, nice to have but I won't pay a fortune for it!

Don't think it makes a difference but we only watch terrestrial channels.

Over to you guys! and in anticipation, many thanks

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
No fan of Avtex here, either

Cello are fair, good for the price, but audio isn't the best and viewing angles reportedly a bit limited. Works for us

You gets what you pays for, I'm afraid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Avtex .. Great for the first five minutes.. We have had two, both failed within days of the warranty expiring and both times we were quoted £199 to have them fixed.. One was 3 days out of guarantee but they would not budge
After that we moved over to a 21" Cello. That was about 3 years ago.. I now want to upgrade it to a full HD unit but have so far failed to find a suitable replacement ( 24", HD tuner, dvd, USB, and be able to receive analogue stations too ( as many camp sites are still using analogue distribution systems down in Spain )

So we will continue to use our Cello for the foreseeable future !

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Our Avtex fell apart internally, so spent part of the refund on a Cello, and pocketed the rest.

We do find the audio a bit limited, but have not had the viewing angle issues that people have mentioned here and elsewhere.

The ability to play back MP4 asnd MP3 from a USN stick has been very handy

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Avtex .. Great for the first five minutes.. We have had two, both failed within days of the warranty expiring and both times we were quoted £199 to have them fixed.. One was 3 days out of guarantee but they would not budge
After that we moved over to a 21" Cello. That was about 3 years ago.. I now want to upgrade it to a full HD unit but have so far failed to find a suitable replacement ( 24", HD tuner, dvd, USB, and be able to receive analogue stations too ( as many camp sites are still using analogue distribution systems down in Spain )

So we will continue to use our Cello for the foreseeable future !
Avtex fixed a previous tv for us FOC when the warranty period had recently lapsed (think it needed a new circuit board), perhaps we just got lucky or it was a known issue with the model? Chose to buy the replacement from John Lewis for the extended 5 year warranty they throw in at no extra cost.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Anything from a supermarket.
When on offer at Aldi or Lidl they usually come with a 3 year guarantee.
Most, up to maybe 22", run on 12v via the mains power brick system so only need a fused and regulated 12v lead.
They are robust enough to withstand the odd knock and bump and if they do fail its only around a hundred quid to replace rather than the many hundreds for an Avtex etc..

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Are all new tv's able to get TV in France. I have an Avtex and tbf, very happy with it but because France changed to HD transmission then it won't pick up there but fine in Germany up to now.
Do they do a set top box like when we changed from analogue to digital. Sorry, shouldn't have nicked a bit of your thread.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
All an say on the matter is every 12 v tv I've ever had has been a compromise and they never lasted that long .
Now I have a small inverter and take a 19 inch tv DVD player from the kids bedroom great picture excellent sound , never fails .

Vlad

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
All an say on the matter is every 12 v tv I've ever had has been a compromise and they never lasted that long .
Now I have a small inverter and take a 19 inch tv DVD player from the kids bedroom great picture excellent sound , never fails .

Vlad
I'd be very surprised if that TV was not in fact running from a 12v transformer! Most LCD/LED TV's are actually 12v, and come with a 240v transformer! :D

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I'd be very surprised if that TV was not in fact running from a 12v transformer! Most LCD/LED TV's are actually 12v, and come with a 240v transformer! :D

I had read something similar somewhere ,indeed I had a tv with the brick thing between the plug and tv ,got an adapter and it worked with a 12 v plug
Re the tv we use now there is no brick does that mean the transformer is built into the actual tv .
I think it's a joke that 12 v specific tvs are around £200 quid more than the 240 v equivalent. For me a decent quality 240 v through a little inventor is the way to go

Vlad

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I bought two (2) "Cello`s" for our unused caravan which we have just part X`d for a M-home...

Put one in the new M-home and have the other at home...

I think it is a 14 or 18 inch.. (Sorry not home at the mo, so not sure)..

It is 12 v only and has a built in DVD player...

Paid some where in the region of £140...

It has no box, as was fixed in the caravan and box disposed of..

Switched on once and tuned in... then taken out... :doh:

Will be selling it for £80.... if it was £140.... or will sell for less if it cost less than £140...

Watch the "For Sale" section on Wednesday.. (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Are all new tv's able to get TV in France. I have an Avtex and tbf, very happy with it but because France changed to HD transmission then it won't pick up there but fine in Germany up to now.
Do they do a set top box like when we changed from analogue to digital. Sorry, shouldn't have nicked a bit of your thread.
As far as i know France has switched to FULL HD transmission and anything other than a full hd tv or digibox wont now work.

FULL HD not HD ready.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
As far as i know France has switched to FULL HD transmission and anything other than a full hd tv or digibox wont now work.

FULL HD not HD ready.
Yes it did last year just before we went. I just wondered if I could get a set top box thingy to save getting a new TV.
I appreciate Avtex aren't the most reliable or cheapest but lots complain about sound and/or viewing angles on Cello.
Might just forget tele in France and just watch dvd when there..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, a set top digibox will work.
The French viewers even got a 25€ grant towards a tv or digibox if they had older equipment.
As long as it can receive FULL HD it should work.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Yes, a set top digibox will work.
The French viewers even got a 25€ grant towards a tv or digibox if they had older equipment.
As long as it can receive FULL HD it should work.
Brilliant. Are they available to buy in the supermarket like Carrefour or L' Eclerc?

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi There
I have two Avtex tv I like to record when away and watch later on that day, if you get back early and want to watch another tv programme while the Avtex is recording you can’t.

Although I have two Avtex tv's I certainly would not recommend them to anyone I don’t think the picture is top notch for the price and if one breaks I will be looking for another make with a record function while I can watch another station at the same time if there is such an animal.

Avtex are certainly a reasonable tv but vastly overpriced in my opinion and comparable options are available from other suppliers.

If sound is a problem on other company products if the product has a head phone socket or Bluetooth then a separate Bluetooth speaker might be an option to overcome that.
People say you get what you pay for but in this instance I don't think that is true.
Best Wishes Tony

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Or you could have a 43" LG that runs on a 12v brick or straight from the battery. :whistle:

IMG_0063.JPG

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks to all. Looked at the Cello, seems fine but more than I wanted to pay, really. I'm going to try the supermarket route - Aldi, Tesco - hope to find one that has an external 240/12v transformer which can run on 12v - hopefully around the £100 mark or less.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks to all. Looked at the Cello, seems fine but more than I wanted to pay, really. I'm going to try the supermarket route - Aldi, Tesco - hope to find one that has an external 240/12v transformer which can run on 12v - hopefully around the £100 mark or less.
Many do that and seem happy with the results. BUT if you want to use it in France you will need to get one with an HD tuner so it can receive HD channels. That is not the same as "HD ready".

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Many do that and seem happy with the results. BUT if you want to use it in France you will need to get one with an HD tuner so it can receive HD channels. That is not the same as "HD ready".
And if wanted to use with sat system you either need a tuner box or a built in reciever . Roy

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Don't watch satellite channels whilst away - and won't be going to France in the near future!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back