New Toy...

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by mark e, Feb 15, 2008.

1. mark e

mark e Read Only Funster

I know it would annoy some people on here :Angry:
    but........

I've just ordered a Kipor IG 2000 Digital genny :BigGrin:

Cant wait to get it ! It will help us to enjoy Scotland later on in the summer, and too save money on paying for campsites. The money saved on sites will go towards fuel :cry::cry:

I have given carfull consideration for solar, even had a book from the library, but why people spend so much money on solar is not IMO viable.

2. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: I am an ex (for the moment) Wild camper. I have always (while being a Wild camper) had Solar power & generators. We are currently on a camp site with 16 amp power supply. We are STILL using our Solar power for our MAIN power supply. It saves us around 50 Euros a month in Electricity costs. Works for me. :Wink:

3. mark e

mark e Read Only Funster

But to have solar, use all year round, i would have to spend about a £1000-£1200. for my calculated usage. £300 for a genny, and im quids in :Wink:

4. johnsandywhite

:RollEyes: But you still have to buy the fuel to run it. Time after time after time etc. Once bought? Solar power does not need re-fueling. Just a clean now and again. :Rofl1:

5. mark e

mark e Read Only Funster

The problem i have is " one 85ah " battery. So no where to store the solar energy being produced by the panels, so i would have to upgrade to " two 110 ah " batterys, so makes the instalation expensive. I know i'll have to buy the petrol to use it but it's on a "pay as i go" basis. If one weekend we dont use the motorhome, it's no loss.

6. mnd

mnd Deleted User

Hi mark, John has made some good points in favour of solar panels, I've found them a worthy investment.:thumb:

7. mark e

mark e Read Only Funster

Another question..........

Genny charging leisure battery at 8.3 amp....
    is this the genny putting back inti the battery 8.3 amp........

Per hour or what ?

8. mnd

mnd Deleted User

Hi Mark, your vehicle alternator puts out around 45 amps and to fully charge a flat 85Ah battery would take about 750 road miles! The fuel used would probably pay for a replacement or two even!:Eek!:

Using a leisure charger i.e. portable genny is absolutely fine for charging your batteries via the on board charger, as long as you only connect to the power supply when it's running, some gennys will 'spike'or power surge when starting or stopping, which can cause damage to the chargers electronics, regarding the amp output of 8.3, this is the output measured at the two connections for direct connection to the battery, and not to be confused with connecting via the mains input:Wink:

Regards mnd:Smile:

9. mark e

mark e Read Only Funster

assuming i only use the genny to charge battery ( 85ah ),
    would it be more economical to start the engine of the cab, or use the genny ?

or use the genny for 240v output only.

i have 2 inverters, 600 watt fitted to the leisure battery, and a 150watt for the 12v cigarette socket.

if its more economical to run the engine, i'll cancel the genny order !!

10. johnsandywhite

:Cool: Swings and Roundabouts. For a quick booster charge? Use the Motor. For a more sedate charge? Use the Genny while watching TV etc. :Wink:

11. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

Hi Mark

I think you will find that the genny has a 12 volt outlet so why would you want to generate 240 volt to be brought back down to 12 volts thereby wasting precious power (as the charger would not be !00% efficient)

Hi John and Sandy where in Spain are you? As we are flying out to see some friends in both Torrevieja and on Al Mafra on Monday 18th for a week (half term)!

Regards Pat

12. johnsandywhite

:Cool: We are on Camping Almafra. Look forwards to meeting you. :Wink:

:Smile: If we are not out on our bikes? :Rofl1:

13. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

The best way to make the most use of the genny is to run it to power 240v items (we used to have a washing machine) and use this time to charge batteries. We bought our RV with solar panel fitted, so we did not have the cost to consider, but we swear by it, as, in the summer it provides nearly all of our power. We do have a 3000 Kipor but would be happy with a smaller one.
    BTW is the one you have ordered a red one or yellow?? if it is red, think about swapping it for a yellow one!! Mine is red.
    Also remember that if you run your battery flat, it will have a VERY short life.
    Nigel

14. 2escapees

2escapees Deleted User

I have a 110w solar panel and would not be without it. But I suppose if you only go to Scotland then a solar panel is not high on your list of priorities because it does rely on the SUN!

15. mark e

mark e Read Only Funster

It's the yellow one i have ordered !

Im really torn...

Would i be better upgrading the batterys, 2 x 110 amp, using the inverters i have and not bothering with the genny ?

then when my battery runs down, just start the engine up ??????

16. johnsandywhite

:Cool: It would be the initial cheapest way to do it. :Wink:

17. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

I wouldn't want to use the m/h engine to charge the battery, and would prefer to use genny. IF you can afford the weight and storage space to carry it. I would think that the genny would be less likely to upset any other campers(even when free camping) But the risk of it walking is quite high.
    Nigel
    BTW yellow is the right choice.

18. mark e

mark e Read Only Funster

Would anybody else agree, that leaving the engine running ( on tickover ), could or would damage the engine for the purposes of charging the leisure battery, for say half hour, to an hour ?

19. rolandrat

rolandrat Deleted User

generators

When considering buying a Genny what about storing it and what about the petrol it will use, unless they can be stored in an isolated locker, don't bother, the constant stink of the petrol is enought to consider a Solar panel, no stink with them and power input to the battery is constant.:thumb:

20. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Hi Mark leaving the engine ticking over is not the kindest thing you can do to it,
    apart from that the output of the alternator is not good at tick over, stick with the genny and double your options ie 240v or 12v on demand
    Geo