New Tom-tom great disappointment, can I take it back? (1 Viewer)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
At this time of year most retailers have a better disposition to accepting "unwanted" or duplicated Christmas gifts...

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Me personally (may be a little dishonest but needs must) would say i have used it once and it keeps shutting down after about 30 minutes, can guarantee no one will question it, especially this time of year when the stores are very busy, have done it myself in the past for the very same reasons of not reading up and doing research on an item.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Mack100

I have just tried to load some larger poi files, less than 2mb, and had problems. Maybe the system is playing up. It did load the files eventually using Internet Explorer whereas before I had used Firefox both with Windows 10.

Try that if you can.

By the way I don't think you will find the Speed Camera POI's work on the new ones.

Judgemental.

You added, in Bold, " doesn’t do what it’s supposed to." Sorry I don't agree.

In this case until the update earlier this year the addition of 3rd Party POI's was not available on this unit and not advertised as being available.. Many assumed that the new units would do what they could do on the old units without checking first.

Do you buy items assuming what they will do? Should a shop refund when the customer has failed to check the purchase meets their needs and then finds it does not do something that it never offered to do in the first place?

I do find it disappointing at how many are suggesting how they would take it back with varying excuses rather than help our colleague to work with his purchase in the way he wants.

Doug

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Take it back , swop it for a windows phone with "here maps " on it no need for any sat nav ever again, be cheaper and no need to use it as a phone if you don't want, in fact it doesn't have to be a Windows phone , works on any but seems better on a lumia.
Edit, all the world maps for direct download , always up to date , no hooking up to computers for hours updates as it goes along, more pois than you can shake a stick at, all for free.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Don't see why not I sent a expensive Snooper back as not fit for purpose and got a full refund likewise one of those cheap Chinese jobs.
Did have a TT but gave it my lad.
Nowadays I stick to CoPilot in the van and Garmin on the bikes anything is second best I find.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Chaser

As this all started because Mack100 thought he could not add his Poi files will he be able to do it with your suggested Windows phone and maps?

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
This is a copy of a post I made on PocketGPSWorld forum:
My Start 25 has sadly died from an internal power connection problem. Yesterday I bought a Start 50 as an upgrade , so I thought.
I now understand, I think, the new process for installing 3rd party poi's through MyDrive and then MyDrive Connect.
However, what about the .bmp files associated with them?
If you look here:
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13814/~/how-can-i-install-or-remove-third-party-pois?it

indicates that both files can be installed, yet if you look here:
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14334/~/how-do-i-download-and-install-images?it
indicates that .bmp files are not supported!
I now regard this new device as useless to me, I'm not sure I can get a refund (High Street purchase) as I've used it!
Seems TomTom are more confused than me!

It appears I have several options, I can return it and @Toxic Clown 's suggestion just say it has an intermittent fault. I don't like lying but
a) the sales person at Currys probably won't know what a POI is, and
b)I feel very let down by TomTom's misleading statements and appalling marketing.
This is despite probably over 14 years of using TomTom in it's various forms.

I'll probably end up with a Garmin although I will research the Ebay jobbies.
Thanks to all contributors to this thread:xThumb:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Some TomTom firmware was upgraded to accept third party POIs a few months ago, including the model we use. Might be worth checking that your model's firmware is fully up to date by linking it to TomTom MyDrive Connect.

The functionality is different to earlier models that accepted external POIs, but it works. One bonus is being able to search the CCI aires POI file by index number.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
One thing to consider when buying Garmin is that if it breaks down and you send it back, it may be replaced with a reconditioned one, even though it may be nearly new.
Sadly the reconditioned replacement that they sent me was also faulty and was replaced with another reconditioned one - which has performed perfectly.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Some TomTom firmware was upgraded to accept third party POIs a few months ago, including the model we use. Might be worth checking that your model's firmware is fully up to date by linking it to TomTom MyDrive Connect.

The functionality is different to earlier models that accepted external POIs, but it works. One bonus is being able to search the CCI aires POI file by index number.
My device was fully updated by me. The main problem in the end was that .bmp files could not be installed at all despite TomTom's assurances and that the .ov2 files could only be added one by one.
I also couldn't find a method on the Start 50 for adjusting distance to poi warnings. It's probably there but by then I'd lost the will to live!

I wouldn't mind replacing my dead Start 25 with another but I suspect new firmware might have been applied to that model too thus reducing functionality.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I do find it disappointing at how many are suggesting how they would take it back with varying excuses rather than help our colleague to work with his purchase in the way he wants.

Some of us have not tried to use the sat nav advised and are offering other alternatives or simply to obtain a refund-nothing wrong with that -we all cant be supertecciesxroll:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have been looking at this model for a couple of months now, would you recommend it?

So far have only used it a couple of times .
I like the pinch screen and it also has the same interface and map data as the Garmin Nuvi I use in my car.
Its a nice size screen at 6" and can be voice activated.
I do prefer Garmin navigators as I find their search and input very simple and the map info accurate.
Yes I would recommend it but of course navigators like anything else are down to personal preference.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I like the pinch screen and it also has the same interface and map data as the Garmin Nuvi I use in my car.
I do prefer Garmin navigators as I find their search and input very simple and the map info accurate.
Yes I would recommend it but of course navigators like anything else are down to personal preference.
I'm assuming you mean Avtex and not Navtex?
Does this correspond directly with an existing Garmin model physically?
I'd be wanting to match it up with a Brodit holder.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I'm assuming you mean Avtex and not Navtex?
Does this correspond directly with an existing Garmin model physically?
I'd be wanting to match it up with a Brodit holder.

Yes, sorry , its Avtex the 12v tv manufacturer , think I've lost it .

Dont know what a Brodit holder is but this one mounts on a ball and socket suction mount provided and not the same as my Nuvi mount.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Yes, sorry , its Avtex the 12v tv manufacturer , think I've lost it .

Dont know what a Brodit holder is but this one mounts on a ball and socket suction mount provided and not the same as my Nuvi mount.
I've used their products for years, I find it's the best solution in car or motorhome for holding devices, expensive but worth it IMHO.
http://www.dsldevelopments.com/?gclid=CI3E7MOr8skCFUHnwgodxvgLSQ
The holder is very model specific which is why I would need to know the Garmin equivalent if one exists.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
A photo of the rear of the unit and a type at the top is "Garmin
145-01415-10
Numbers tiny but I think I got it right.
image.jpeg

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

Guess what my lovely wife bought me, (us) haha?

Garmin (Avtex) 660 nice looking unit, have wired it into the back of an existing 12v outlet, so the power cable runs inside the dash and comes up by the window, no trailing cables.

Shame the holder does`t fold like our old Garmin nuvi so have to remove it from the windscreen to close the blinds, apart from the that the 6" screen is easy to read and looks good.

Well impressed so far, hopefully will still think the same when we road test it.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Guess what my lovely wife bought me, (us) haha?

Garmin (Avtex) 660 nice looking unit, have wired it into the back of an existing 12v outlet, so the power cable runs inside the dash and comes up by the window, no trailing cables.

Shame the holder does`t fold like our old Garmin nuvi so have to remove it from the windscreen to close the blinds, apart from the that the 6" screen is easy to read and looks good.

Well impressed so far, hopefully will still think the same when we road test it.

When not using as a navigator , I find it a useful mobile road map with the advance info of roads ahead and speed limit warnings.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Took the TomTom back to Currys and swapped it for a Garmin Nuvi 57LM. As far as I can see it has much the same capabilities as the TomTom and the software seems more intuitive.
So far poi's have loaded easily although as Apple have almost crippled the unzipping of zip files, I'll probably use my Windows partition in future.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Took the TomTom back to Currys and swapped it for a Garmin Nuvi 57LM. As far as I can see it has much the same capabilities as the TomTom and the software seems more intuitive.
So far poi's have loaded easily although as Apple have almost crippled the unzipping of zip files, I'll probably use my Windows partition in future.

Pleased you managed to change it ok!

Now you have a Garmin, try looking up the threads on here about 'Basecamp'. Great piece of software to use alongside your new sat nav.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Pleased you managed to change it ok!

Now you have a Garmin, try looking up the threads on here about 'Basecamp'. Great piece of software to use alongside your new sat nav.
Thanks, I've installed it but not yet had a chance to look at it. PoiLoader on Windows is a bit picky but I'm sure I'll get used to it!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Garmin do Apple versions of both POI Loader and BaseCamp which may be of interest to you.
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3697
https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449
Thanks, yes I've installed those, it's apples weird way of dealing with zipped files I was having trouble with.
Only thing I'm not sure about is the naming of the next turn rather than showing it's number, fine in town but not out in the sticks !

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
And how did you take it back , told them it didn't work? Just said you didn't want it? Or that it wouldn't do what you thought ?or what else? Didn't think you would have any problem either road:xThumb:

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
And how did you take it back , told them it didn't work? Just said you didn't want it? Or that it wouldn't do what you thought ?or what else? Didn't think you would have any problem either road:xThumb:
They didn't seem to be particularly interested why but I just muttered that it didn't do poi's well enough!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Just take it back , get a refund and go chinese:xgrin:
Just read what is happening with the Chinese sat navs regarding updates before you go Chinese!!! I have a Garmin Nuvi although it's a bit odd it works gets properly updated and will take regular POI's and lifetime updates means the lifetime of the satnav not the Chinese reseller company!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back