Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
A couple of questions re awnings.
I have a fiamma wind out awning 45s fitted to the van and would like a porch awning. This would be for me to sleep in when the grand children come with us.
First question, if I buy an awning that slides into the Fiamma wind out awning will this leave a gap between the porch awning and the side of the van or is this step out taken into account by the awning manufacturers?
second question, There is also a U shaped channel above the Fiamma wind out awning. Is this also for a porch awning to slide into? The channel above the Fiamma wind out awning looks to be bigger than the channel in the Fiamma wind out awning, is this usually the case?
Third question, If the channel above the wind out awning is for a porch awning to slide into is the porch awning shaped to go around the the Fiamma wind out?
Sorry about all the questions but if you don't ask you don't find out and you people seem to be the ones to ask.
Thanks Glenn.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In a word Glenn....no.

The side will alway stand out as far as the awning box front edge but will obviously come closer as it gets lower.

I would be more concerned about a hurricane howling through UNDER the van....unless you have a draft skirt which needs either sucker pads or a low level awning rail.

OP
OP
glenn2926

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Thanks so far, more questions.
Why is the draft skirt not sewn on to the awning across the van side? (maybe I can do this myself then as the awning is stretched across the van the draft skirt would become tight ).
How does the awning attach to the van at each end?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Because even a 'full' awning for a caravan doesn't have a draught skirt for the van attached to the awning. On a caravan, you erect the awning, then the skirt is fed into another awning rail which runs along side of said van in a straight line, just above the wheel arch (or it may be shaped round the arch) - or you can put it on first, but usually after - cos the 'tent' part is usually the most important and the longer job, then the skirt can be done inside out of the 'weather' with less rush.

MoHo awnings can be freestanding like a tent but with an extra flap from the roof that fits into the Moho awning rail, thus giving you a covered way to get from the Moho door to the 'tent' door. The 'covered way' may have side pieces or not. When you want to nip down to the supermarket, you can just detach the attached part, leave the tent part up - and drive away. If the completely attached part, you have to completely dismantle it, stash it away and put all the contents away in the van, before going for that pint of milk or loaf etc.

Can't help with the rails themselves, sorry - not that technical, me !

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
PS the sides don't attach, the same as a caravan 'porch' awning sides don't. Usually have poles of some sort that enable you to get it pretty darn close to the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back