New to this would like to plan trip to Germany (1 Viewer)

Helga

Free Member
Aug 20, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Hi there

Any advice would be most welcome as we are very new to motor homing.
We have a week off work in september and would like to visit Germany. Not sure whether to take a ferry or the Eurotunnel or where to go next? Is it possible to go to Germany and take a different route home in a week? Are we being too ambitious? We bought a 1992 Hymer 3 weeks ago and have so far tested her on a trip to Malvern and we are currently camping at Sandringham. So far we are loving it and I am addicted to this site and buying motorhome magazines!!

Thank you
Helga :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Go to Calais, drive East, you can't miss it.

It's not that far to the nearest bit. The really nice bits may be a lot further, depending on taste.

I did Rotterdam to Cologne in under 2 hours once, as a daft youngster.

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
The Rhine and Mosel

We love Germany and although a week isn't enough it can be done. Try going down the Rhine or the Mosel river = they meet at Koblenz so you could do a bit of each. When you have more time try Bavaria or the Black Forest.

Have fun - I know you will

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Hi and welcome to Motorhome Fun, we hope you enjoy it here with us ...

Just go for it you can go as far as you want in a motorhome ::bigsmile: that is the beauty of it

Have fun and let us know how you are getting on, some photos to post whilst / later on would be good

Stay safe and enjoy !:thumb::thumb::thumb:

John n Kath

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Welcome...
I have only done Germany once, as recommended by many, we did the Mosel river..
A motorhomers delight.. Head for Trier and then go up the river, loads of places to stay (stellplatz) great scenery and if you like to walk or bike you will really enjoy it.. :thumb:

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Germany

I would recommend you consider the following:

Folkstone (Tunnel) - Calais - via Namur (no Tolls) - Luxembourg (cheaper petrol) - Trier (Mosel River) then just follow the B53 to Cochem. About 380 miles from Calais to Cochem. In Germany stay on Stellplazt.

What ever you decide, have a great time. :thumb:

Andrew

Feb 9, 2011
Lytham
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
You could go tunnel one way ferry the other just to do both! Dont book any sites or do to much planning it will spoil it!

Have fun:thumb:

Dave

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome!

You have made your first mistake by PLANNING your German tour!

For your first taster of Germany, we can recommend a trip along the Mosel. There are lots of Stellplatzes (stopovers) all along it's length with wineries and restaurants aplenty within staggering distance!
For a finale, there's a fantastic site overlooking the Mosel/Rhine junction at Koblenz. It's a lovely city and a foot passenger ferry is provided from the site to the city centre.

We hope the wet weather at Sandringham isn't getting you down. There's always the Social Club through the woods if you get bored on your pitch! Just head west!:thumb:

OP
OP
H

Helga

Free Member
Aug 20, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Thank you...

...for your kind advice. I shall not do too much planning and just see how it goes. I must admit I am enjoying this motorhoming stuff!
:Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back