New to this site and need help with floor repair! (1 Viewer)

frankster

Free Member
Jul 25, 2010
Funster No
Hello lovely people.

I've just discovered this site and it's great. I'm from Plymouth and I have a 1989 Swift Kontiki on a Talbot Express that I love dearly. Unfortunately it's had some water ingress and a bit of damp. (I have a friend helping me with repairs). The damage is mostly to the van floor at the rear of the van and the wood has gone soft in places. Water ingress has got to the floor and to the lower frame/wallboards. The water seems to have got in from damage to the rear grp bumper (but could also be the rail seals). It seems to have caused the damp to literally rise!

In terms of the floor repair, my friend thinks it would not be a good idea to cut out the floor/rot since the walls are built onto the floor and cutting this out can affect the structure? He suggests treating it and then laying new ply over? Not sure if this is a good idea? Can anyone help advise here? :Sad:

It still feels to me that the rot should be cut out and then rebuilt? However, it's just the concern about the vans structure being affected that worries me most! I am aware that there is some slight delamination as well. If anyone has any advice is this area, or can help me in any way, that would be appreciated.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Welcome to fun, :welcome: sorry I can't help with your problem but I am sure some one who can will be along soon. :Smile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome

Im sure one of our more experienced members will be along with advice shortly, a although lot will be away now on holidays

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
welcome to fun:Smile:

hope all goes well with the motorhome purchase:winky:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi take a look at this tread from another forum /www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23470993.cfm

dave

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
sorry carnt get a link to work
go to rvnet
click on forums
click on c class

page 3
hope this helps dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We had a leak in the bathroom, toilet and kitchen. The leak was caused by a damaged and leaking washer in the fresh water system. The garage reckoned it had been leaking for about two years but had been masked by the floor covering.

The garage took out the whole of the floor in the effected areas and welded in new steelwork under the floor too support the new one.

I dont know about the walls but I wouldnt leave any damp affected areas in the build.

There was a post on here last week about somebody taking their van apart because of serious damp. It was costing a few bob but it was apparentley worth it.

Jim
:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back