New to this site and need help with floor repair!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by frankster, Jul 25, 2010.

1. frankster

frankster Read Only Funster

Hello lovely people.

I've just discovered this site and it's great. I'm from Plymouth and I have a 1989 Swift Kontiki on a Talbot Express that I love dearly. Unfortunately it's had some water ingress and a bit of damp. (I have a friend helping me with repairs). The damage is mostly to the van floor at the rear of the van and the wood has gone soft in places. Water ingress has got to the floor and to the lower frame/wallboards. The water seems to have got in from damage to the rear grp bumper (but could also be the rail seals). It seems to have caused the damp to literally rise!

In terms of the floor repair, my friend thinks it would not be a good idea to cut out the floor/rot since the walls are built onto the floor and cutting this out can affect the structure? He suggests treating it and then laying new ply over? Not sure if this is a good idea? Can anyone help advise here? :Sad:

It still feels to me that the rot should be cut out and then rebuilt? However, it's just the concern about the vans structure being affected that worries me most! I am aware that there is some slight delamination as well. If anyone has any advice is this area, or can help me in any way, that would be appreciated.

2. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Welcome to fun, :welcome: sorry I can't help with your problem but I am sure some one who can will be along soon. :Smile:

3. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome

Im sure one of our more experienced members will be along with advice shortly, a although lot will be away now on holidays

4. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

welcome to fun:Smile:

hope all goes well with the motorhome purchase:Wink:

5. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

hi take a look at this tread from another forum /www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23470993.cfm

dave

6. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

sorry carnt get a link to work
    go to rvnet
    click on forums
    click on c class

page 3
    hope this helps dave

7. W18BLA

W18BLA Funster

I replied to you thread you posted in a different section :BigGrin:

8. madbluemad

madbluemad

We had a leak in the bathroom, toilet and kitchen. The leak was caused by a damaged and leaking washer in the fresh water system. The garage reckoned it had been leaking for about two years but had been masked by the floor covering.

The garage took out the whole of the floor in the effected areas and welded in new steelwork under the floor too support the new one.

I dont know about the walls but I wouldnt leave any damp affected areas in the build.

There was a post on here last week about somebody taking their van apart because of serious damp. It was costing a few bob but it was apparentley worth it.

Jim
    :Smile: