New to motorhoming struggling to book sites with our dog (1 Viewer)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi

We are new to motor homing and on advice from one of our friend who is also a member on here we are hiring for 10 days in April. Hoping to buy after that. We have a lovely 9 year old Staffordshire bull terrier and we are very responsible owners. We are really struggling to book sites even though he is not a banned breed. Does anyone else have the same issues?. Starting to think this may not be for us after all
I'm in both clubs & one of my dogs is a staffie - never had any problems AND they don't charge extra for dogs (unlike many private sites)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I take my boy to France. The French do think he is a Pit Bull so I carry a copy of the French Embassy regulations and to show the Gendarmes a Google translated slip. Works every time and he gets a stroke (y)

upload_2017-3-30_16-31-18.png

Mon nom est ALFIE, je suis un Anglais Staffordshire Bull Terrier. (Staffy)
Nous ne sommes pas une race interdite en Angleterre ou en France et qui ne figurent pas dangereux. voir ci-dessous
Je n'ai aucun lien PITBULLS même si je regarde similaire.
Nous aimons la compagnie des humains en particulier les enfants.
S'il vous plaît me caresser.

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Introduire-ou-reintroduire-mon,17662

The English should know Staffies are soft and are not a banned breed! :mad:

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are you struggling due to unavailability of pitches rather than dog restrictions? I've just done a couple of searches and there are very few, if any, spots available on some dates.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
We travel with 2 GSds but for many years had 3GSDs plus a collie. Refine your search and discount those that don't allow dogs. We also had to discount sites that had a maximum of 2 dogs but there are lots of sites available. Lets face it on most sites there are more dogs than vans :whistle2:. Where's my tin hat? :reel:

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Never had a problem at any club site, just one or two private sites which I would not use. Britstops are great and so are the clubs certified sites.

Oct 28, 2011
west midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
new
Yes, try and filter out sites which do not allow dogs ( they could be sheep farm sites, or wildlife reserves for example) . Having said that, many years ago, we were in the process of booking a dog friendly site in Cornwall or Devon and something made me look more closely at the "nearby beach". No dogs allowed ! I queried this with the site owner, and was told that they allowed dogs on the site and we could always put the dogs in the car when we went to the beach (!!) We were caravanners at the time. Always worth checking if your dog is welcome at other places where you might want to visit.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Agree with posts above. We are members of both the C&CC and the C&MC clubs and all their main sites have allowed dogs. Have never seen any small print refusing staffies ormother breeds but presume banned dogs under the Dangerous dogs Act wouldnt be allowed.

We know a very small number of their CLs and CS sites dont allow dogs But thats often because they are working farms or the like and not based on any breed of dog.

We have however noticed that a lot of other large sites do tend to stipulate quite openly that none of the banned breeds plus staffies, other bullbreeds and rottweilers will be allowed.

Ironically The most aggressive dogs we ever meet on sites are the spoiled little yappy ones that run at our dog. o_O

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Yes, try and filter out sites which do not allow dogs ( they could be sheep farm sites, or wildlife reserves for example) . Having said that, many years ago, we were in the process of booking a dog friendly site in Cornwall or Devon and something made me look more closely at the "nearby beach". No dogs allowed ! I queried this with the site owner, and was told that they allowed dogs on the site and we could always put the dogs in the car when we went to the beach (!!) We were caravanners at the time. Always worth checking if your dog is welcome at other places where you might want to visit.
Think we looked at that site too. Had its own private beach in cornwall but didnt allow dogs on it!

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We are not allowed to book sites that don't allow dogs, Murphy and Monty have forbidden us to do that.

On several occasions when we've been wild camping for a few days and we need to get to a campsite with facilities we've rolled up at sites which have politely said that had a no dog rule which is fair enough. 50% of the time they have allowed us on if we promised to be sensible about having a dog on site and only stay for 1 night.

Overall dogs and camping seem to go together like Marmite and toast

Shoeless

Free Member
May 17, 2017
Aberdaron
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenza
Exp
Since 2015
May I recommend Heron's Pond just outside of Bedale? Easily the best site that we have been on for dog owners; a nice dog walk with spades for 'stick and flick' hanging from every bush and tree (score one point for a pooch poo going into a rabbit hole) and a lovely dog run field.

I would recommend this site to anyone except, of course, when we're trying to get in ourselves.

- Malc

Lafant

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We never had any difficulty taking our dog with us. Mabon, our lurcher, died last year having filled three pet passports. We never thought to look at the fine print.

Staffies are much maligned, probably becsuse oc the emergence of pit bull terriers etc. They seem gentle with people, though don't take nonesense from other pooches.

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Never ha a problem either, just come back from France, Germany and Austria and no problems anywhere, even allowed on the chair lift in Austria, they stop it for you and help the dog on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back