new to motorhoming and making lots of mistakes (2 Viewers)

deborah

Free Member
Aug 30, 2008
Ashbourne
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
Hi - We are currently on a 9 month trip and as a complete novice I have made a few mistakes along the way... My latest disaster happened today. While filling the fresh water tank of our 1997 Niesmann Bischoff flaire 8000i I left the hose pipe attachment in the water fill while i went to turn on the tap.... when I returned to the hose the water pressure had forced the nozzle off and it is now inside the tank.... could anyone suggest how I can remove this. (preferably before my Hubby gets back - he is a patient man, but I think there are limits!!:winky:

Shore-is-Good

Free Member
Aug 26, 2008
Somewhere warm
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Hi
Sorry to hear about your 'learning curve' but most, if not all of us have been through similar curves at some time or other.

The only way you can remove to object is to remove the access panel on top of your f/w tank and fish it out. It won't do any harm down there, so you could leave it in place until you can get to it. FWIW, I remove the nozzle from my hose before inserting it into the filler hole and use the nozzle to wedge the hose in place.

There is also available a special adapter cap you can use to replace the normal cap with when you are filling up. You then connect your hose with a female hozelock to it to start filling. This would be another solution to 'losing' stuff in the tank and are used extensively on the continent.

OP
OP
D

deborah

Free Member
Aug 30, 2008
Ashbourne
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
Lol

I imagine its in there for good now. If you don't tell him, we won't:roflmto:

Yes - Thanks for your replies - I imagine you are very right!! (about it being in there for good, and not telling him!") biggest concern is wether it will have any lasting effects - bacteria etc.... what do you think?

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
I maybe able to tell you but i'm all for getting people in trouble so tough, only kidding:ROFLMAO:, our tank as a big access point on top of the tank, if you lift the seating which house's the tank you should be able to see it if you have one (our is round and red about 8") good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

deborah

Free Member
Aug 30, 2008
Ashbourne
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
Hi
Sorry to hear about your 'learning curve' but most, if not all of us have been through similar curves at some time or other.

The only way you can remove to object is to remove the access panel on top of your f/w tank and fish it out. It won't do any harm down there, so you could leave it in place until you can get to it. FWIW, I remove the nozzle from my hose before inserting it into the filler hole and use the nozzle to wedge the hose in place.

There is also available a special adapter cap you can use to replace the normal cap with when you are filling up. You then connect your hose with a female hozelock to it to start filling. This would be another solution to 'losing' stuff in the tank and are used extensively on the continent.
Thanks for your reply, very useful info - everyday is a schoolday at the moment!! appreciate your time and info... Husband has now returned and seems to think it is wedged into the pipe! oh the joys!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes - Thanks for your replies - I imagine you are very right!! (about it being in there for good, and not telling him!") biggest concern is wether it will have any lasting effects - bacteria etc.... what do you think?

No not at all, anyway,most don't trust their water tank to drink from. They will use it to make tea or clean their teeth but that's about it. We always carry separate drinking water but this season we will be getting a Link Removed. Once or twice a year we sterilise the tank with Miltons.

OP
OP
D

deborah

Free Member
Aug 30, 2008
Ashbourne
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
I maybe able to tell you but i'm all for getting people in trouble so tough, only kidding:ROFLMAO:, our tank as a big access point on top of the tank, if you lift the seating which house's the tank you should be able to see it if you have one (our is round and red about 8") good luck
Thanks for your eply - husband has is head wedged under the bathroom cupboard as we speak! Alas it has not made it into the tank and seems to be wedged in the filler tube - not near enough to reach or see! but in the way enough to make filling up a right bother!! better get the kettle on and the chocolate out!!

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

We always put baby bottle steriliser in our fresh water tank a couple of times a year, a litre does the process very nicely and takes care of any nasties which might be in your tank.

I am sure hubby will be understanding, after all I bet he has done something he regrets!!! we have all been there.

My probably worst disaster was leaving the shower on - I thought I had turned it off - went to get dry whilst Michael filled up the water tank and couldnt hear the shower as the telly etc was on - result - flooded motorhome, it took us a couple of days to dry our the carpets etc!

Michaels worst event was installing a second Gaslow bottle, tightening every nut, except one - and then going to fill up at the petrol station! Gas blasting forth everywhere, people running in all directions very embarrasing, even more so was going to Stratford and asking the advice of the Gaslow Man - he nearly fell over laughing when he saw what Michael had done!!

Ginny

OP
OP
D

deborah

Free Member
Aug 30, 2008
Ashbourne
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
We always put baby bottle steriliser in our fresh water tank a couple of times a year, a litre does the process very nicely and takes care of any nasties which might be in your tank.

I am sure hubby will be understanding, after all I bet he has done something he regrets!!! we have all been there.

My probably worst disaster was leaving the shower on - I thought I had turned it off - went to get dry whilst Michael filled up the water tank and couldnt hear the shower as the telly etc was on - result - flooded motorhome, it took us a couple of days to dry our the carpets etc!

Michaels worst event was installing a second Gaslow bottle, tightening every nut, except one - and then going to fill up at the petrol station! Gas blasting forth everywhere, people running in all directions very embarrasing, even more so was going to Stratford and asking the advice of the Gaslow Man - he nearly fell over laughing when he saw what Michael had done!!

Ginny
:Doh:

Thanks - glad it's not just me then!! (giggle!)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Alas it has not made it into the tank and seems to be wedged in the filler tube - not near enough to reach or see! but in the way enough to make filling up a right bother!! better get the kettle on and the chocolate out!!

Time to go fishing. Find a lightweight bent wire coat hanger and make it into a suitable fishing hook.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We should all contribute and write a book about this type of thing. It would be a joy to read. There would probabley be a chapter for each of us.

Jim

:roflmto:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
To try and remove the obstruction, it might be worth getting a mechanics 24" flexible claw pick up tool, it's a cable inside a metal spring. You press the button at the end which makes the jaws on the other end open. I think they are available from motorspares types shops, but we found them on-line from Link Removed £1.80 - Ref. 5527

Nigel and Pamala

OP
OP
D

deborah

Free Member
Aug 30, 2008
Ashbourne
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
:thumb: Great idea! I think I could write several chapters s already!!! - but then where would all the fun be in learning the ropes!??? (that said it would probably have saved me a fortune!!...
We should all contribute and write a book about this type of thing. It would be a joy to read. There would probabley be a chapter for each of us.

Jim

:roflmto:

OP
OP
D

deborah

Free Member
Aug 30, 2008
Ashbourne
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
:thumb:Dear Nigel and Pam.... This is a great idea and if this doesn't work nothing will. really appreciate your help. Thanks.
To try and remove the obstruction, it might be worth getting a mechanics 24" flexible claw pick up tool, it's a cable inside a metal spring. You press the button at the end which makes the jaws on the other end open. I think they are available from motorspares types shops, but we found them on-line from Link Removed £1.80 - Ref. 5527

Nigel and Pamala

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Why not try a vacumn cleaner with a suitable pipe and suck it out::bigsmile:

OP
OP
D

deborah

Free Member
Aug 30, 2008
Ashbourne
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
:thumb:Hi Sinbad, Thanks I was thinkning along those lines and may well have a pop as nothing else has worked... Kindest regards _ Deborah:thumb:
Why not try a vacumn cleaner with a suitable pipe and suck it out::bigsmile:

maxitai

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
LINCOLNSHIRE
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
23 YEARS
Water tank

We never use the water from the tank, for drinking, tea etc.
We always use fresh from a proper source.
I would"nt think it will do any harm leaving it there.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
With all these implements being used to get it out I can't help thinking about the old children's nursery rhyme 'There was an old woman who swallowed a fly' :Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
what you need to do is insert a spring used for hanginging net curtains into the tank filler from INSIDE the tank via the inspection hatch and push it out. Good luck

OP
OP
D

deborah

Free Member
Aug 30, 2008
Ashbourne
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
:Cool:This sounds like a plan!! we have yet to get the wretched thing out and it is making filing a right royal pain! currently we are on a site in the French Alps and heading off to Italy tomorrow - we will be calling in at a mechanics shop for the grabber thingy, a net curtain shop and trying to find a vacumn cleaner to have a pop when we have an empty tank! Thanks to everyone's imaginative and practical ideas. I am really very grateful
what you need to do is insert a spring used for hanginging net curtains into the tank filler from INSIDE the tank via the inspection hatch and push it out. Good luck
I cross threaded the cap today!! Husband is never going to let me fill the tank again! It seems I get to empty the loo instead! - apparantly there is nothing I can damage! Big Giggles.... We shall see!
:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back