new to motorhoming and making lots of mistakes

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by deborah, Feb 22, 2009.

1. deborah

deborah Read Only Funster

Hi - We are currently on a 9 month trip and as a complete novice I have made a few mistakes along the way... My latest disaster happened today. While filling the fresh water tank of our 1997 Niesmann Bischoff flaire 8000i I left the hose pipe attachment in the water fill while i went to turn on the tap.... when I returned to the hose the water pressure had forced the nozzle off and it is now inside the tank.... could anyone suggest how I can remove this. (preferably before my Hubby gets back - he is a patient man, but I think there are limits!!:Wink:

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I imagine its in there for good now. If you don't tell him, we won't:Laughing:

3. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

sorry cant help u put i can welcome u to the fun :BigGrin:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  4. Shore-is-Good

Shore-is-Good Read Only Funster

Hi
    Sorry to hear about your 'learning curve' but most, if not all of us have been through similar curves at some time or other.

The only way you can remove to object is to remove the access panel on top of your f/w tank and fish it out. It won't do any harm down there, so you could leave it in place until you can get to it. FWIW, I remove the nozzle from my hose before inserting it into the filler hole and use the nozzle to wedge the hose in place.

There is also available a special adapter cap you can use to replace the normal cap with when you are filling up. You then connect your hose with a female hozelock to it to start filling. This would be another solution to 'losing' stuff in the tank and are used extensively on the continent.

5. deborah

Lol

Yes - Thanks for your replies - I imagine you are very right!! (about it being in there for good, and not telling him!") biggest concern is wether it will have any lasting effects - bacteria etc.... what do you think?

6. Blisters

Blisters Read Only Funster

I maybe able to tell you but i'm all for getting people in trouble so tough, only kidding:Rofl1:, our tank as a big access point on top of the tank, if you lift the seating which house's the tank you should be able to see it if you have one (our is round and red about 8") good luck

7. deborah

Thanks for your reply, very useful info - everyday is a schoolday at the moment!! appreciate your time and info... Husband has now returned and seems to think it is wedged into the pipe! oh the joys!

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

No not at all, anyway,most don't trust their water tank to drink from. They will use it to make tea or clean their teeth but that's about it. We always carry separate drinking water but this season we will be getting a filter. Once or twice a year we sterilise the tank with Miltons.

9. deborah

Thanks for your eply - husband has is head wedged under the bathroom cupboard as we speak! Alas it has not made it into the tank and seems to be wedged in the filler tube - not near enough to reach or see! but in the way enough to make filling up a right bother!! better get the kettle on and the chocolate out!!

10. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

We always put baby bottle steriliser in our fresh water tank a couple of times a year, a litre does the process very nicely and takes care of any nasties which might be in your tank.

I am sure hubby will be understanding, after all I bet he has done something he regrets!!! we have all been there.

My probably worst disaster was leaving the shower on - I thought I had turned it off - went to get dry whilst Michael filled up the water tank and couldnt hear the shower as the telly etc was on - result - flooded motorhome, it took us a couple of days to dry our the carpets etc!

Michaels worst event was installing a second Gaslow bottle, tightening every nut, except one - and then going to fill up at the petrol station! Gas blasting forth everywhere, people running in all directions very embarrasing, even more so was going to Stratford and asking the advice of the Gaslow Man - he nearly fell over laughing when he saw what Michael had done!!

Ginny

11. deborah

:Doh:

Thanks - glad it's not just me then!! (giggle!)

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

My god Jim.......dont ever ask me if i would like a tea or coffee.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Time to go fishing. Find a lightweight bent wire coat hanger and make it into a suitable fishing hook.

14. Jim

Jim Ringleader

:BigGrin::BigGrin:

15. madbluemad

madbluemad

We should all contribute and write a book about this type of thing. It would be a joy to read. There would probabley be a chapter for each of us.

Jim

:Laughing:

16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I bet Jim is already doing it ... :Wink:

17. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

To try and remove the obstruction, it might be worth getting a mechanics 24" flexible claw pick up tool, it's a cable inside a metal spring. You press the button at the end which makes the jaws on the other end open. I think they are available from motorspares types shops, but we found them on-line from Vehicle Wiring Products Ltd. Suppliers of auto electrical parts. £1.80 - Ref. 5527

Nigel and Pamala

18. deborah

:thumb: Great idea! I think I could write several chapters s already!!! - but then where would all the fun be in learning the ropes!??? (that said it would probably have saved me a fortune!!...

19. deborah

:thumb:Dear Nigel and Pam.... This is a great idea and if this doesn't work nothing will. really appreciate your help. Thanks.

20. deborah

::BigGrin: tried this one - no luck.... but thanks very much for the idea.