New to motorhomes and have a problem help! (1 Viewer)

Blackrooke

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Have no idea
Exp
Near to this sport
Hi, very new to motorhomes, picked ours up yesterday. Stayed in it last night and experienced a few problems. Can anyone help. We have just gone from our caravan of 4 years and now think we may have made a mistake.
Problem 1
There seems to be a bad draft at low level, is this with all vans or just Elddis, we have vents near the door!
Problem 2
There is 4 seats which is supposed to make a double bed with the table down, how can this be the table is smaller than the gap, maybe some one has my model and I am just being stupid.
Problem 3
The overcab bed is very low and like sleeping on the floor, the mattress is so slim, is this normal and people (adults) actually sleep in this area.

Our van is an autoquest160 by elddis 2006 model.

Maybe we have been spoilt by our caravan but I am devastated that our first night was not much fun. Please help before the wife tells me to change back to caravanning:Sad:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i think you will find when you take the table down there is a box about 12in high, with a loose lid that is against the wall between the seat's that stores the pullout slats that make's the bed base?
and yes the matress is thin on all elddis's.

chris

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
welcome to the fun:welcomefunster:
hi not familiar with that model but someone will soon help with specifics
the low level draught could be coming from the cab area as that will be cooler than the rest of the van. or just as an effect of blown heating rising until the temperature stabilises.

your table could be one with a folding leg (ours is) and hooks onto a bar at a low level has about an inch or so all round the edges and a crossbar support for the leg end.

the overcab bed varies from motorhome to motorhome some are there just to make some use of the space and suitable for children only others are suited to adults.

hope this helps.

andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We owned an Elddis, a 2006 Autocirrus. We found they had gone a bit over the top with the gas drop vents too! Lots of draughts and not good in winter.
You shouldn't block any of these drop vents because they are there to vent off potential gas leaks. We half blanked ours to help, but please note this really isn't recommended!
Our overcab was low too, we slept up there, however, in preference to breaking down the lounge. It was much nicer not to have to put away a bed before the morning cuppa!
Our mattress too was quite thin but we were comfortable enough.
We changed our Elddis recently for a French made 'van and we don't experience any of the same problems.
As for the lounge bed, we haven't a clue, but we found the Elddis manual very comprehensive! Incidentally, a search round the Elddis site should find you a downloadable manual for your 'van.
Hope this helps..............

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi, very new to motorhomes, picked ours up yesterday. Stayed in it last night and experienced a few problems. Can anyone help. We have just gone from our caravan of 4 years and now think we may have made a mistake.

The over cab bed in our Burstner is better than our house bed. Can't sit up but can kneel to crawl to the far side.

However the second "bed" made from the dinette seats is not big enough for adults.

If you have made a bad choice maybe you can persuade the dealer to change it since you've only just picked it up.

People say your third MH is the one you hoped for from the start.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Problem 1
There seems to be a bad draft at low level, is this with all vans or just Elddis, we have vents near the door! All MH have vents low down they are gas drop holes, allowing any escaping gas to fall out of the habitation area, your caravan also had them for the same reason. I take it you are referring to the draughts when travelling and so remember there is not heater in the back when you travel unless you have a heater that can be left on when travelling. Some people drape a blanket between the front seats to stop it.
Problem 2
There is 4 seats which is supposed to make a double bed with the table down, how can this be the table is smaller than the gap, maybe some one has my model and I am just being stupid. Not sure about your model but maybe someone will be along soon to give advice.
Problem 3
The overcab bed is very low and like sleeping on the floor, the mattress is so slim, is this normal and people (adults) actually sleep in this area. I have slept in over cab beds and yes they are not that good. Many people complain about the headroom & thin mattress

Our van is an autoquest160 by elddis 2006 model.

Maybe we have been spoilt by our caravan but I am devastated that our first night was not much fun. Please help before the wife tells me to change back to caravanning:Sad:

Welcome to the FUN and I hope you find out, as many of us have, that the freedom of motorhoming is a great way of seeing our country & Europe.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Blackrooke and welcome to the fun.

yes, it is a different kind of camping to a caravan.
certainly a more cramped interior and possibly not as light and airy as you're used to.

our last van was a swift kontiki and that too had vents in the step area...on the step risers...which did allow some drafts.

as this is just about the lowest point of the floor they also act as gas drop vents, in the event of an interior gas leak.
if the draft is bad you could temporarily cover them with card and tape but not really advisable.

as chris said, look for the slat box between the dinette seats...simply pull up the lid which has the slats attached.
they then lay on two rails on the front edges of the seats.

we never used the overcab bed as it hadnt enough headroom for me, but the mattress was little more than a foam sleeping mat.

the usual cure is a 1" or 2" memory foam mattress topper.

dont give up hope on your van, you'll soon get used to it and the freedom it brings. :thumb:

OP
OP
B

Blackrooke

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Have no idea
Exp
Near to this sport
Thanks all

Just been out and done it, wow if only I had that last night, you are a star, I suppose I will get some foam mattress toppers which will help, do you get a lot of drafts:Smile:

Thanks to all the replies, wow this is good site feeling positive already, there does seem to be a few vents especially near the door well. I think I will block them and see. Maybe fit a small floor blow heater.

Someone mentioned it takes 3 times to get the right van, that's what we found with our caravan. We use it for the year and think about a change this time next year.

Thanks to all your comments. Merry xmas

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Just been out and done it, wow if only I had that last night, you are a star, I suppose I will get some foam mattress toppers which will help, do you get a lot of drafts:Smile:

Thanks to all the replies, wow this is good site feeling positive already, there does seem to be a few vents especially near the door well. I think I will block them and see. Maybe fit a small floor blow heater.

Someone mentioned it takes 3 times to get the right van, that's what we found with our caravan. We use it for the year and think about a change this time next year.

Thanks to all your comments. Merry xmas

Just another thought. Check the cab doors, they have vents on the curve part of the door that will let a draught in. Most of us tape them off to stop the draught.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
We have a 2006 elddis 130 and are very happy with it i now dont need to tell you about the bed slats lol.
Our model is the 5 berth and as there are only 3 of us we dont need to make up any beds, i am 6ft and find the overhead cab to be very cumfy.
As for the drafts we dont find it to bad do get the odd one but not to bad and we use it all year round even in -9. It can get a little cold in the cab you can buy screens for this and we also hang a blanket from the overhead bed to the floor and this keeps the draft from the cabin out. Last new year when it was -9 we stuck an small cylinder style oil heater on the cab floor amazing the difference it makes.

If you have any other problems or questions about elddis feel free to ask.

Gerry

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Hi and welcome to funstersflyingwelcome
We have this year up graded to a motor home a swift sundance. first use during winter months we found draughty as well our soulutions have been
1 extra curtain between cab area and habitation area
2 winter covers on fridge vents
3 change curtains for thermal lined
3 when on site use a oil filled radiator just behind the cab area
5 memory foam mattress topper as some one else has already said.
We would not go back to a caravan more use from our motorhome than we ever got from our caravan.

Merry Christmas
Rob and Sue
enjoy your new van

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no, we dont get any drafts now we moved into the different world of american RVs.

we dont have as many drop vents as the Rv has a gas monitor/alarm at floor level which turns off the gas if a leak is detected.

there are a couple of 6" x 2" floor vents but no drafts.

please note....blocking off your vents MAY cause some condensation overnight and could cause a build up of gas if there should be a leak so dont block them on a permenant basis.

best bet would be a propane/butane alarm and put it at floor level.

Dipstick 1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2010
Funster No
Drafty

One thing some peeps tend to forget when parked up overnight is to switch your base vehicle heater switch to recirculating air and not fresh this will stop cool air blowing in thro the heater system.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Buy yourself a set of silverscreens for the OUTSIDE of your cab windows they make a great difference this time of year you can get then on ebay cheap quite often

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have an Autoquest 100 a couple of years older than yours. Haven't had a problem with draughts from the step but do get some from the cab area.

As people have mentioned, switching the heater vent to recirculating helps as does some sort of curtain/board behind the cab seats. We also found a bit of a draught from the fridge/sink unit where there is a slot for a piece of worktop board to fit into. Solved that by using a length of foam plumbing pipe lagging - cut to size, open the split along the length and fit it into the gap.

Only the two of us so we only use the Luton for storage and sleep on the dinette bed. We bought a mattress topper for that and find it very comfortable.

In case you don't have an Owners Manual you may find one which has details of your van Link Removed.

Graham

P.S. The locker between the dinette seats (where the bed slats reside during the day) is just the right size to store 24 cans of beer - well it is on ours anyway :Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Welcome to the site

no, we dont get any drafts now we moved into the different world of american RVs.

we dont have as many drop vents as the Rv has a gas monitor/alarm at floor level which turns off the gas if a leak is detected.

there are a couple of 6" x 2" floor vents but no drafts.

please note....blocking off your vents MAY cause some condensation overnight and could cause a build up of gas if there should be a leak so dont block them on a permenant basis.

best bet would be a propane/butane alarm and put it at floor level.

I have to agree if you want comfort then you need to consider an American RV.. When at a show have a nose.. You will be suprised.. Beat a euro box hands down and any caravan.... Been there done that, had a eurobox... Now on our third American.. Would never go back.

Anyway enjoy the forum, lots of experts, lots of info

Regards

Bob, sue and Ezzie the St Bernard:Eeek:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I have to agree if you want comfort then you need to consider an American RV.. When at a show have a nose.. You will be suprised.. Beat a euro box hands down and any caravan.... Been there done that, had a eurobox... Now on our third American.. Would never go back.

Anyway enjoy the forum, lots of experts, lots of info

Regards

Hi Bob, maybe you had the wrong " eurobox " ::bigsmile: some are quite good, very happy with ours. :Smile: Its very well insulated I can park and go anywhere in it, tows the trailer and car no problem and good on fuel.::bigsmile: That all we need. :thumb: After owning a lorry for many years, its nice not to have shares in the fuel companies. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
...You will be suprised.. Beat a euro box hands down...

...Rather a sweeping statement for a (ex) lawyer surely?

"Objection your Honour"

"Beat a euro box at what I ask?

Ease of spares and repairs around Europe?

MPG economy when touring around?

Ease of parking and travelling on smaller roads?"

Each to their own I say...

JJ

Born Again RVers... :Doh: IMO the most fanatic of them all... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

PPS. Welcome to the Fun Blackrooke... Enjoy...

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
...Rather a sweeping statement for a (ex) lawyer surely?

"Objection your Honour"

"Beat a euro box at what I ask?

Ease of spares and repairs around Europe?

MPG economy when touring around?

Ease of parking and travelling on smaller roads?"

Each to their own I say...

JJ

Born Again RVers... :Doh: IMO the most fanatic of them all... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

PPS. Welcome to the Fun Blackrooke... Enjoy...

Not the roar of a 747 when heating is on either. :Eeek:

Nov 30, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt autoroller 700
Exp
on and off 20 years
Eldis Autoquest 160.

Hi we used to have a 160 so will ehlp where I can. I'm glad you have sorted the doubel bed out. We also found a good set of external siver screen worked very well and in ver cold weather used to put a pillow in th door well step to help reduce drafts. The other itwem we found was that the frdige needed resealing as there was a gale blowing through the gaps even with winter vents on the outside. We alos bought a memeory form mattress topper which made a huge difference to the double bed.

Having said all of the above the van was great and we used it all year round.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Sorrry :Doh: Blackrooke went off topic, on our last van we took the door panels off and put gaffer tape over the door vents, get the wife to feel around when on the move. :Smile: The other place was where the seat belts fix to the body take them off and put gaffer tape over the holes behind them.

Check around the fridge and make sure its sealed as it should be. Vans built in the UK are not really built for winter use, they have a very different idea on fully winterised. :Doh: But all that aside I should say you will use it more than a caravan, just get in and go.:Smile: We do! Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back