New to motorhome fun (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Hi, I am new here so I am introducing myself. I have a 22yr old gulfstream Sunstream RV that I obtained needing some work to get it back to its glory, which is well on the way now, and ready for this years summer. I use it mainly to take my 1961 austin A35 to steamfairs and shows around the country. The 5.9 cummins diesel handles the 6 ton RV and 1 ton towed vehicle with no problem. I am now retired, mainly from poor health, but still try to do a bit with classic car work for friends. I have spent my working life as a self employed vehicle builder and repairer, also making fibreglass mouldings. I am also a moderator for the busiest biodiesel forum in the UK, with a few years experience making bio fuels. This, coupled with some time spent renovating properties, means I have a broad range of knowledge to share on vehicle mechanics, bodywork and painting, fibreglass repair, all forms of welding, anything to do with biodiesel and biofuels, and house repair, coupled with motorhome conversions. If any one thinks I can help with anything, then just ask, cheers, steve.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You sound like just the man to tackle restoration, not for the faint hearted.

A35. I remember them well. Rotten heaps 50 years ago. But cute. The last of the curves before they all went square.

But what a joy to work on compared to a modern lump. So simple.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello and welcome from us just down the road from you. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
:welcomefunster:
That BMC A engine was a great thing to play with::bigsmile: In my lecherous youth I used to have an Austin A40 Ute that I played with, Ported and polished, fitted twin 1 1/2inch S Us etc etc:winky:

Done the same to a Spriget later on in life, only more so, didn't increase top speed by much, but got there a whole lot quicker::bigsmile:

Fella that runs the "Clock Garage" in Summercourt has a couple A30 s (small window on back?):thumb:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi Steevie and :welcome:

My father bought a new A30 in early 50s - PXT 771 :thumb:
.... with a set of tartan seatcovers. It was my job to switch the indicators on :roflmto:

:france:Peter & Caroline

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi, I am new here so I am introducing myself. I have a 22yr old gulfstream Sunstream RV that I obtained needing some work to get it back to its glory, which is well on the way now, and ready for this years summer. I use it mainly to take my 1961 austin A35 to steamfairs and shows around the country. The 5.9 cummins diesel handles the 6 ton RV and 1 ton towed vehicle with no problem. I am now retired, mainly from poor health, but still try to do a bit with classic car work for friends. I have spent my working life as a self employed vehicle builder and repairer, also making fibreglass mouldings. I am also a moderator for the busiest biodiesel forum in the UK, with a few years experience making bio fuels. This, coupled with some time spent renovating properties, means I have a broad range of knowledge to share on vehicle mechanics, bodywork and painting, fibreglass repair, all forms of welding, anything to do with biodiesel and biofuels, and house repair, coupled with motorhome conversions. If any one thinks I can help with anything, then just ask, cheers, steve.
Hi Steve and welcome, you sound like a handy man to have around. Pity you live so far away or we could become best friends:Smile: Showing my age maybe but I once had an A30 van, I though it was good at the time apart from feeling as if it was about to tip over every time I made a hasty turn. :thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to Motorhome Fun :welcomefunster:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi Steevie..I RUNG YOU BY MISTAKE DIDNT I stevo...stevo:roflmto:
welcom to the fun from another old rv owner
dave

OP
OP
steevie
Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
thanks for the warm welcome. Seems a few have memories of the a30, but in all fairness a lot of the work had been done when I got it. I am now helping a friend with his 59 ford pop, and we are now nearing the paint stage, which I will probably do in sections. I can only sort of do a couple of hours at a time, and thats on good days. My motorhome is due for testing, so when it stops raining, I am going to jack it up all round and check it over. My son helps me with these type jobs cos he has the muscle. I have all the stuff collected for fitting leveling jacks, but that might have to wait a while. I have just about completed changing all the bulbs[except headlights] to LED. There were 20 outside, and 21 inside. I have got most of the bulbs from china, well thru hong kong anyway, and the lot has cost under £40, but took about 3 weeks to come. I know you would never put them all on at once, but if you did, they would still only use about 30 watts. When I used to put on the outside lights, with dipped beam, the ameter went into the negative, and only got back to level when revving a bit, so a night time journey would be relying on the batteries after a while. I thought about a bigger alternator, but decided that the LEDs would be better, plus they last around a 100.000 hrs.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome to fun

Feb 16, 2010
Newport, Gwent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2002(previously 25 years caravaning
Hi - Welcome to Motorhome Fun - hope to meet up with you in the no to distant future

Tony & Perri x

OP
OP
steevie
Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
the welcome on here is brilliant. Hope I can be of help to some of you.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi and welcome. Maybe we can get some definitive answers on running bio now.
I used to run my old Tiffin with the Cummins 5.9 on it with no problems whatsoever.
Have been running a 1.9 non turbo VW golf for over 30000 miles with no problems and also run a 2.5 turbo Peugeot with a Lucas pump 50/50.
Love the smell of it and am experimenting now with black diesel.

OP
OP
steevie
Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Once again thanks for the welcome. I will give you a few general facts about bio fuels in the chat/general section. cheers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back