New to Motorhome Fun, hello and looking for some advice. (1 Viewer)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
before you go and see anything stick the number plate in LEZ compliant website.

If your looking for a cheap roof over your head a caravan makes more sense and use your van for going back to Norwich and travelling. Have you investigated a room in a shared flat can be done for around £400 a month if lucky..You would be a lot more comfortable and closer into London.

Eddie

OP
OP
Ian67

Ian67

Free Member
Dec 17, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Vauxhall Novano
Exp
Hi Eddie

I have done all that in the past. Being 49 I have no plans ever to go back into house sharing

It's good to have a fresh pair of eyes look over the problem. I have a couple of houses. One I let my parents live in and the other in London my X rents of me. (Joint owned) I was happily living in a house in Loughton. Then my sister became ill and passed away. During this time I moved back home to Norwich to help with her care. I'm a nurse by trade. I rented a place in Norwich but prefer to work in London. Pay and conditions being better. I stayed in a house share when the rent was £400 a month. Since being away rents are now in the region of £700-800. Far to much. I don't get paid a great deal and the strain of renting at both ends is far too much. After costs I'm left with a £100 a week to live on. So i average 50 hours a week to make ends meet. Sadly life for me is not about work work work. So I have been living in my van (£200 a month) and spending the odd day at the house in Norfolk. So I want to step back. Drop my hours and work less. If i become a full timer my costs drop by £1200 a month. By giving up the house with associated costs. Meaning I can reduce my hours giving me more time off. To do what I want.

The other option is to find another partner then share the living costs in London or Norwich. This seems rather drastic to me

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Fairy snuff :) But cant imagine anywhere worse to full time in a van then London. where is site? £200 a month good....I just think leaving vans standing for months on end dont do them much good...whereas a caravan it hardly matters. probably get a winterised german one for few grand and it wont be LHD!:D

all about a bit of lateral thinking....

quick example: https://www.gumtree.com/p/caravans/hobby-690-caravan..-christmas-bargain/1146803629

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Have you considered the LEZ?

Only Euro 4 spec upwards diesel engines will comply. This will exclude older vans.

Unless under 2,5 T then they will always comply.

Hi Larry.

Yes hello neighbour

The LEZ is a real problem as where I stay at the moment is a couple of hundred yards inside the zone... Typical. I suppose I could always look at having a filter fitted..?

Ian
Don't even think of it ,waste of money.

Hi @Stitch , my B544 03 plate on 2.8jtd gvw 3500kg is lez compliant so worth looking for one at 3500kg.
When I bought mine it was 3900kg but I had to get it downrated (easy) to 3500kg for my licence change. Miro was 2780kg so adequate payload.
Have not looked but I guess >3500kg is the qualifying mark.

Have just checked and that is the case , if below 3500kg ok but a proviso if registered between 2000 and 2002, requires a phone call.

SV Tech downrated mine, took approx two weeks , cost £144 , so a b class Hymer may be possible for you if you took that course.

under 3,5 T diesel up to 2002 :)
under 3,5T diesel up to 2006 ,some comply ,some don't & as said you need to check with them or the other way is to fit a filter. :)
over 3,5T diesel after 2006 normally comply.:)
Under 2,5T diesel all comply regardless of year made & classed as Euro 5.:D

OP
OP
Ian67

Ian67

Free Member
Dec 17, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Vauxhall Novano
Exp
My shifts are grouped together. I work 14 days a month and on average only spend 12 nights a month in the van. ( at the moment I work 5 days a week to make it all work)
I agree being stuck in London full time in a van would drive me nuts.
When I'm not working I head out to the coast or back to Norfolk. It's a pleasant way to live

OP
OP
Ian67

Ian67

Free Member
Dec 17, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Vauxhall Novano
Exp
Nice caravan for the money. Hmmm decisions.
I pay £11 a night summer £14 winter with electric. Can't say where as its a friends.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My shifts are grouped together. I work 14 days a month and on average only spend 12 nights a month in the van. ( at the moment I work 5 days a week to make it all work)
I agree being stuck in London full time in a van would drive me nuts.
When I'm not working I head out to the coast or back to Norfolk. It's a pleasant way to live

Have you considered getting some credit and buying a compiant more modern van.

Edit: OK just seen above, how would your friends feel about a caravan being left semi permanently.

loads on here...bring a damp meter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...+carav.TRS0&_nkw=german+caravan&_sacat=121904

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ian67

Ian67

Free Member
Dec 17, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Vauxhall Novano
Exp
Now I'm up, but less awake. I've made a few decisions. One of them is sit back and wait till I see a newer van that will suit my needs. The caravan idea is top of my list at the moment. With allot less outlay I can get a base in London.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Now I'm up, but less awake. I've made a few decisions. One of them is sit back and wait till I see a newer van that will suit my needs. The caravan idea is top of my list at the moment. With allot less outlay I can get a base in London.

Plus you still have a van you are happy with for everything else...

OP
OP
Ian67

Ian67

Free Member
Dec 17, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Vauxhall Novano
Exp
Thanks for all your advice. Yep I get to keep the van I like and save some money in the process.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Welcome to the fun, but what is this thing you talk about called WORK ?
I seem to recall it somewhere ?
There is a CL at Upminster just outside of the LEZ. The owner has a small holding and will im sure take long term parking. Takes 20 mins to Fenchurch st and the train is same fare as tube on Oyster.
Phil

OP
OP
Ian67

Ian67

Free Member
Dec 17, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Vauxhall Novano
Exp
Hi Phil

That sounds great. I'm going to have a look tomorrow morning. It could all work out very well.

Many thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back