New to Forum and looking for tow-ball-fitting advice. (1 Viewer)

Mattchooster

Free Member
Jan 8, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Elddis Firestorm 100
Exp
Since 2012
Hello, I'm new to the forum.

I've got a 2004 Elddis Firestorm 100 (may also be called an Autoquest). We've taken it over to Spain for the last 3 years with the kids. Now that their getting to bike-riding age I need to take more bikes. My van has a 2 bike carrier and I'd like to upgrade to a 4 bike. I'm thinking of fitting a tow ball and was keen to see if any forum users with the same van may be able to give me some advice - mainly how is it attached to your chassis?

From underneath I can see some Chassis extensions, presumably to support the overhang at the rear. They look fairly meaty and hold the spare wheel. I'm thinking of joining my hitch on to these extensions but clapping eyes on a similar van with the same setup would put my mind at rest that it will support the weight. Included below a picture of my van.

Would be incredibly grateful if anybody could offer me some advice or a picture of their van with a hitch fitted.

IMG_3053sm.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would check with the converter.....Elddis/autopsies.
While those extension legs look strong enough many can't take the stresses involved.
Many need a bespoke bar which is extra long to fit to the original chassis section.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Looks very similar to mine and I had one made to measure by Towtal of Stoke On Trent but I'm sure you could find a company nearer to your home.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Matt, welcome to the fun house.

First thing first, have you take your van fully loaded (ie full holiday mode with kids etc on board) to a weighbridge and found out what your actual axle weights are? If not then that the first thing you need to do to find out what payload you've actually got left overall and on each axle, then you'll at least know if you have the capacity on the rear for a towbar and extra bike rack as they will add quite a bit of weight.

OP
OP
M

Mattchooster

Free Member
Jan 8, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Elddis Firestorm 100
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you for the replies and the warm welcome.

I haven't crunched the numbers but I'm fairly confident I won't be over weight. I'm thinking of a bike trailer which will require horizontal force rather than vertical.

Looks very similar to mine and I had one made to measure by Towtal of Stoke On Trent but I'm sure you could find a company nearer to your home.

xsparks - really interested to find out about your setup - is your hitch connected to the end of the chassis extensions? Would it be possible to send me a picture of the metalwork used to join the hitch to the chassis.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as your van is pre 2012, you can have any garage weld one up for you. it needs extension legs and bracing all the way back to the van's original chassis. very straight forward and cheaper too, expect £250 - £300

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
as your van is pre 2012, you can have any garage weld one up for you. it needs extension legs and bracing all the way back to the van's original chassis. very straight forward and cheaper too, expect £250 - £300
As long as they can certify it with EU plate.
P.s. you aren't getting mixed up with trailer building regs ? That's october 2012
Whereas anything after 1998 requires a type approved towbar with plate.

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
http://www.motorhometowbarslancashire.co.uk/

Try these people , on my 2nd tow bar from them , proper engineers , very good price , normally done in a few hours while you wait.

Near Preston , but you could build it in to a trip down to the lakes or north Yorkshire ?

Worth a call , they will give you proper advice

Paul

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
As long as they can certify it with EU plate.
P.s. you aren't getting mixed up with trailer building regs ? That's october 2012
Whereas anything after 1998 requires a type approved towbar with plate.
No type approval wasnt brought in for commercial vehicles till 2012, sounds dodgy but its true

OP
OP
M

Mattchooster

Free Member
Jan 8, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Elddis Firestorm 100
Exp
Since 2012

Great, this was what I was looking for. I'm going to fabricate the metalwork myself and was looking for a design to copy. Knowing I need to go back to the chassis is a big help with the design. Many thanks for all the help.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back