Free Member
Jun 18, 2012
Andover
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi
Myself and my other half have just got our first M.H this year, a Burstner Prismo, after looking for over a year for something suitable. Something I understand most people do. Who knew there was going to be so much choice!

Anyway we've had it about 12 weeks and already had much fun in Cornwall, Devon, Gloucester and more recently France, where we had a great time and found it much easier to get around _ we did already know this having had about 10 years of motorcycle tours over there.

We're restricted on how much time we can spend travelling as we're both still full-time working sadly so none of the long jolly jaunts that your retired community seem to have!

Anyway we have a small scooter for our small van but have also been looking to get some decent electric bikes for those short weekends away as it is not worth the hassle loading up a scooter. We bought some folding electric bikes to take away to France, but they failed dismally with electronic issues, so have been taken back to the dealer for a refund. Anyone have any suggestions on this area? I think now we would be looking to get an ordinary sized bike with the larger wheels as the folding ones really don't feel up to the job. It would be interesting to hear anyone's suggestions or experiences in this area.

Shazspun

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We bought some folding electric bikes to take away to France, but they failed dismally with electronic issues
Shazspun

Don't give up. Electrics don't have much range but they are acceptable in all the best places to go, promenades, pedestrian areas. You can't use "proper" bikes there.

Look for 36V Lithium and a plug in motor or else it's near impossible to mend a puncture on the powered wheel. Be prepared to pay £700-£1200 for quality.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
E Bikes

There's a very informative site here - http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/content.php

Lots of information and advice. My wife and I ride Kalkhoff bikes which are powered though the crank and easily manage 35miles +

Good Luck

Rob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
welome to the forum

Welcome to to the forum.. seems you are up and away.

Why not join one of our get togethers... Weekend shows from Thursday to Monday.... i.e Malvern.. great show, lots of MHF members (Need to be a member - subscribing £10 a year).. we have our own area at that show and others.. you can arrive Thursday, Friday etc., so even working you get a chance to meet up with members and have a good time.

Anyway, cannot help with bikes, but many on here can.

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard

OP
OP
S

Shazspun

Free Member
Jun 18, 2012
Andover
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks Rob, Brian and Bob.

Funny enough we have looked at the Kalkoffs since coming back to the UK as they have a good write-up on that Pedelecs site. They just seemed a bit expensive for just some weekend camptrips, but I think we may have to bite the bullet and pay a bit more.

Where did you get your kalkoffs?

Sharon

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
50 Cycles

Thanks Rob, Brian and Bob.

Funny enough we have looked at the Kalkoffs since coming back to the UK as they have a good write-up on that Pedelecs site. They just seemed a bit expensive for just some weekend camptrips, but I think we may have to bite the bullet and pay a bit more.

Where did you get your kalkoffs?

Sharon

Hi There,

We got our bikes from 50Cycles who were based in Richmond, Surrey. I think they have just moved recently to Hampton Wick.

I must say we are pleased with our two bikes they are a bit on the expensive side but are really well manufactured.

Rob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Try this - http://www.electricbikemag.co.uk/

The electric bike 'scene' is getting busy and crowded recently and I suspect there are a lot of bandwagon-jumpers out there. Prices do seem to be coming down, but whether quality is universally good I'm unsure. For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of the Go Cycle - http://www.gocycle.com/ - excellent example of form following function and looking really stylish!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back