New to all this ( a heartfelt explanation ) (1 Viewer)

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
the year is 2000, we sold our house , moved down to the coast live in a large static, , which is 37 ft long , so like a big r.v, i enjoy, my weekends with the group in my Topaz, would we go back to bricks and mortar, Never:roflmto:

OP
OP
B

brookwalker

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Funster No
New to all this seems ive started a midlife debate here

Hi every one. its seems ive started a bit of a debate here and good im glad to see it.

Now some tell me just do it man just do it.

Others say dont do it you fool it will end in tears ive bought to tissues already just incase !

So will I Wont I one thing is for sure im getting lots of advice in here and it is ALL GOOD and well meaning advice please keep it going I will not do it..............................

Not without a lot of thought and working out what happens at the end of it all.

If I were brave enough i would have done it with out this help from an unknow army of new advisers/friends. However im not that impulsive, it all has to be looked at checked out tested examined etc I wish i wasnt like that but I am.

Know one person has said if they want me to carry on the saga though I dont meen should I or shouldnt I, that debate I jope will keep rolling on PLEASE I stilll need your help.

19 years ago my wifeasked me to marry her. I said yes. I had to she had my wallet in her hands ( only jokeing ! ) but i put a condition in to it I had to go and see my gran first, who had moved to Australia when I was 15.

I had to see her and other rellies before i setlled down. Now I was told at the time its costing too much money and at that time a grand just for the tickets was a hell of a lot of money + the other two grand i would spend doing the round world thing. you could by a car deposit on a house et etc etc or spend 3 grand and in two months it will all be gone!!!!

Well that was now 19 years ago but I can still remember the moment I kissed my nan her smile her stroking my hair the smell of her jumber like it was two weeks ago then saw other uncles etc and now most have passed away.

Why have I told you this its because my father never did see him mum again. So i may do the full time thing and i may loose every thing i have but when im dead and gone what will they say about me ! god only knows cos i wont be here i wont care i wont want to know but its what i did in the middle that maters.

When im old and cant help my self will they sell my house to look after me ? or because ive blown it on the time of my life in a tin home that has set me down at the waters edge and moved me from shore to shore and blow out to blow out and cos ive got nothing left somone will have to look after me !

Changing direction of my chat now. whats the cheepest im likely to find a site to stay at.

The plan is to be stationed in one place near my home for about - 1 to 3 months to get used to it all while still in my job, then start to move around probably down Corwall first, the ultimate then to be Portugal.

After six months or so off work start to look at new ways to earn money. may even buy a roadside catering unit and do that may even approach companies as a sales agent, who knows its all about new places, new people, new horisons that in its self gives new opening.

" by not being or doing I dont know what I dont Know untill I find the thing I didnt know I didnt know and only then I may find what it is I was looking for" Try saying that when youve had a drink.

That my new friends is what this dream is about ( I think )

Brookwalker.

OP
OP
B

brookwalker

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Funster No
new to all this I continue ! ........

Hi every one. its seems ive started a bit of a debate here and good im glad to see it.

Now some tell me just do it man just do it.

Others say dont do it you fool it will end in tears ive bought to tissues already just incase !

So will I Wont I one thing is for sure im getting lots of advice in here and it is ALL GOOD and well meaning advice please keep it going I will not do it..............................

Not without a lot of thought and working out what happens at the end of it all.

If I were brave enough i would have done it with out this help from an unknow army of new advisers/friends. However im not that impulsive, it all has to be looked at checked out tested examined etc I wish i wasnt like that but I am.

Know one person has said if they want me to carry on the saga though I dont meen should I or shouldnt I, that debate I jope will keep rolling on PLEASE I stilll need your help.

19 years ago my wifeasked me to marry her. I said yes. I had to she had my wallet in her hands ( only jokeing ! ) but i put a condition in to it I had to go and see my gran first, who had moved to Australia when I was 15.

I had to see her and other rellies before i setlled down. Now I was told at the time its costing too much money and at that time a grand just for the tickets was a hell of a lot of money + the other two grand i would spend doing the round world thing. you could by a car deposit on a house et etc etc or spend 3 grand and in two months it will all be gone!!!!

Well that was now 19 years ago but I can still remember the moment I kissed my nan her smile her stroking my hair the smell of her jumber like it was two weeks ago then saw other uncles etc and now most have passed away.

Why have I told you this its because my father never did see him mum again. So i may do the full time thing and i may loose every thing i have but when im dead and gone what will they say about me ! god only knows cos i wont be here i wont care i wont want to know but its what i did in the middle that maters.

When im old and cant help my self will they sell my house to look after me ? or because ive blown it on the time of my life in a tin home that has set me down at the waters edge and moved me from shore to shore and blow out to blow out and cos ive got nothing left somone will have to look after me !

Changing direction of my chat now. whats the cheepest im likely to find a site to stay at.

The plan is to be stationed in one place near my home for about - 1 to 3 months to get used to it all while still in my job, then start to move around probably down Corwall first, the ultimate then to be Portugal.

After six months or so off work start to look at new ways to earn money. may even buy a roadside catering unit and do that may even approach companies as a sales agent, who knows its all about new places, new people, new horisons that in its self gives new opening.

" by not being or doing I dont know what I dont Know untill I find the thing I didnt know I didnt know and only then I may find what it is I was looking for" Try saying that when youve had a drink.

That my new friends is what this dream is about ( I think )

Brookwalker.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

brookwalker

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Funster No
Yes I know

Cheers buttons you are 100% on the ball I shouldnt do it and I cant do it but I want to do.

Every salesman that knows his salt knows it is far far easier to sell some thing some one wants than some thing they need and this dream i want i dont need it !

?

Jim's been there done it he can give you good advice. :soaobox:My view is that selling all you have worked for at 47 years old to invest it into something that’s value will go into free fall as soon as you drive it from the garage is a fantasy it is a mid life crises forget about it, it will all end in tears.:cry:You sound like an intelligent couple that should be enjoying the fruits of your labors. If you want to spend time in a motor home then go out and get one, use it enjoy it then enjoy what you already have until your next trip away. :thumb:
Do you have a contingency plan or are you looking through rose tinted glasses:Cool:. Getting away for a couple of years is everyone’s dream but not everyone can realistically afford to do it.
Many couples would give their right arm to have what you have now, sit back and enjoy it. To burn your bridges could end in 40 years of regrets. :helptitanic:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Brookwalker.

Hi

thanks for expanding on your plan, it makes it clearer and easier to help and advise.

You should be able to find a CL ( Caravan Club Certified Location, small 5 van site ) for about £10 per night, however you can only stay 28 days then you should leave.. however, there are some who will extend this ( unofficially ) once you get to know them..

When booking a CL don't mention work or that you are or planning to full time.. book the site for say two weeks, then when you feel you have a good relationship with the owner ask to extend for a further two weeks.. They may even ask if you are full time and offer longer term and perhaps a reduction in fees if you pay per month.. but I stress, this is completely unofficial so the owner will be cautious about it until they know you ..

If all goes well, you can offer to help .. be a useful guest, one they want to keep. This worked for me for almost a year, I am now close friends with a CL owner and we keep in touch and visit each other.. I have even looked after the site while they go on holiday ..

If they insist you leave after 28 days you will need another close by.. you can then alternate between the two every 28 days

There are other options , some sites have long term pitches which you can book at the start of the season.. but I have no experience of these so I will let someone who has explain..

Last edited:
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
This subject comes up a lot on all motor home forums.

You always get the "Just do it!" advocates and just as many "Give it a LOT of thought before you do ANYTHING" promoters.

What this usually boils down to is that the original poster is unhappy about something (job, age, health, life etc. etc.) and is looking for CHANGE.

Change can be good, and it can be bad. But doing nothing can be good or bad also.

Have a read of the following book. It's not a long book and it is of course metaphorical.

Link Removed

It has changed peoples lives...

My own contribution would be this.

We are all on the same journey to a wooden box
Why not take the scenic route? :Smile:

Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Have a read of the following book. It's not a long book and it is of course metaphorical.

Link Removed

[/COLOR][/B][/I] Bryan

Hi Bryan

the link is crashing the browser ..( Chrome )

edit..

now opened after several tries

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
WMMC is a great little book, I read it when it was first published in 1990 something. You could read it easily around 45 minutes. Essentially the message is "things will change - Learn to adapt" Aimed more at the corporate ratrace but WMMC will certainly get you thinking about what changes might be happening in your life.

Now if I were to reccommend a book to someone who is struggling with the idea of doing something different, easily by miles it would be Jonathan Livingstone Seagull. another very small book that I first read when I was 17 but its message has stayed with me forever. Everyone should read it. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back