New Tarmac drive

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jerrymjj, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj Funster

I've just had a beautiful new tarmac drive laid. It's been a bit hot lately... and have discovered that my Autotrail Tracker has left 2" deep holes for each wheel where it has been parked. I hope it will sort itself out again over time but any thoughts on what I might use to spread the load? Two 12 foot long builders planks might do I suppose but wouldn't look too good. Could paint them perhaps? Ideas?
    Many thanks, Jerry

2. iandsm

iandsm Funster

How about contacting the people who layed the drive and asking them to put it right, or explain why it sank, or explain why they didn't tell you to keep your van off it for a while.

3. Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj Funster

I think 3 and a half tons is bound to do this. It is hot and it's been laid about 3 weeks now. I need something to spread the load.

4. lorger

lorger Funster

I'm with Iandsm on this one, first think I'd do is contact who ever laid it. I'm sure if you parked on the road on a hot day it wouldn't sink.

If no joy from them I'd go with your idea maybe a couple of scaffold planks would do the job.

5. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

We had ours newly laid about 2 months ago, we put some plywood sheets under each wheel (about 2 ft x 1ft), thinking to spread the load. partially worked but not 100%. As there is a slight slope we put some cut down scaffolding planks on top of the plywood on the driver's side this side virtually no visible impression on the tarmac, but just the ply wood there is a slight impression. Unfortunately the MH is parked on the section with the thickest tarmac.

The plywood definitely helped spread the load.

6. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Sounds to me like they have not done a propped job . A properly compacted sub base ,a base course ,then a top layer of Tarmac,should be good for 3.5 t
    A lot of 4&4 weigh around this and as someone who's in that line of work I'd say they've skimped somewhere.
    The way to check is to cut a small hole to check Tarmac thickness and stone depth.

Vlad

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

Afraid I am with Vlad. Sounds like the sub base has not been constructed properly. Are they a reputable company ? If so they should return and put the matter right.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

not fit for purpose! get them back in.

9. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Have to agree with the others - job not done properly

10. wasp

wasp Funster

If you park it on the same spot every time buy 4 paving slabs one for each wheel sorted.:):):):):)

• Like Like x 2
  11. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Hopefully it was a reputable company who would want to stand by their good name and they'll sort if for you :)

Not Itinerant's I hope. Did they try to sell you a dog, arrive in a caravan and still wore wellies even at 30*C :eek:

12. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

When I had the parking area for the motorhome relayed I specified reinforced concrete with thick steel mesh, it was quite expensive at the time but worth every penny. No more deep ruts and it's easy to maintain.

13. Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj Funster

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. It is a very good company and I have been in touch and the MD is coming out next week having promised to "sort it". I like the idea of the paving slabs I have to admit. Probably embed themselves in over time...

14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Save the wait......while the tarmac is still soft mark out the dimensions for the four slabs, carefully remove the tarmac and drop in the slabs.....or ask the tarmac guys to do it as recompense for a crap job originally.

That way they wont look out of place.

15. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

If you are going to use paving slabs they need to be put on a solid base or they will definitely crack that's why I went for reinforced concrete. The weight of a motorhome being parked for any length of time on unsupported slabs or tarmac will cause cracks which rainwater can seep through and soften the ground further.

16. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

I have to disagree I've done a fair few driveways for better off folk who park horse-boxes on theirs!
    Several years on no ruts or cracks.

Vlad

• Like Like x 1
  17. MikeD

MikeD Funster

18. buttons

buttons Funster

A friend of mine had his drive tarmac by paddy who was doing a job up the road and had some materials left over. It looked so nice he thought he would clean his windows. He climbed 4 rungs of his ladder yet he was still at ground level. True story.....:)

19. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If you are going to use paving slabs get "municipal" standard ones, which are much thicker than the things your local garden centre might sell.

20. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Using paving slabs is a bodge........shouldn't be needed, will look a mess and will probably crack and sink anyway