New tactic with speed camera van.... (1 Viewer)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
There is a speed camera van that sets up outside our house on a regular basis. Recently as much as twice a week.

We live on a main road with 2 lanes going in each direction. There is staggered islands along the road that allows people to park in the central part of the road.

This speed camera parks here and for years has been catching speeding drivers in the oncoming direction.

Today, when i returned, the van was set up in the same position but the camera was set to the nearside presumably catching traffic driving away from it.

I have always been wary of this setup but this is the first time that the van outside our house has used this tactic.

Drivers beware.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
There was a police car used to play the same trick many years ago,sitting between the "Armco" Barriers on the A1,between Grantham and Colsterworth Island,you could only just see him in a lorry,in a car you stood no chance. The CB paid for itself on that stretch.
Tea Bag

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
There is a speed camera van that sets up outside our house on a regular basis. Recently as much as twice a week.

We live on a main road with 2 lanes going in each direction. There is staggered islands along the road that allows people to park in the central part of the road.

This speed camera parks here and for years has been catching speeding drivers in the oncoming direction.

Today, when i returned, the van was set up in the same position but the camera was set to the nearside presumably catching traffic driving away from it.

I have always been wary of this setup but this is the first time that the van outside our house has used this tactic.

Drivers beware.

Surely that should be
"Drivers stick to the speed limit"
?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi.
There was a police car used to play the same trick many years ago,sitting between the "Armco" Barriers on the A1,between Grantham and Colsterworth Island,you could only just see him in a lorry,in a car you stood no chance. The CB paid for itself on that stretch.
Tea Bag
Oh dear, that's so last century @Tea Bag. In fact it's sooooooooo last millenia. :Grin:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I understand some can actually operate in both directions - as the equipment has become more sophisticated it is easier to locate on the van - particularly ANPR

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
When they do that the vehicle going away from them are a long way to the left of the camera. The HYPOTENUSE effect is therefore in action, as the vehicle speed is not accurate by quite a margin. The speed recorded is that if the long arm of the triangle (Hypotenuse), formed using the true distance covered and the width of the road. Depending on the speed given it is possible by calculation to get the true speed of the vehicle and it might be a cause to have the ticket dropped if it is worked to be below the speed given.
Work it out on paper if you do not believe me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
When they do that the vehicle going away from them are a long way to the left of the camera. The HYPOTENUSE effect is therefore in action, as the vehicle speed is not accurate by quite a margin. The speed recorded is that if the long arm of the triangle (Hypotenuse), formed using the true distance covered and the width of the road. Depending on the speed given it is possible by calculation to get the true speed of the vehicle and it might be a cause to have the ticket dropped if it is worked to be below the speed given.

My head hurts so much I think I would just pay the fine.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Anyone who knows the scarborough to whitby road may be surprised to see a camera van pointing at the northbound lane at the Harwood dale turnoff dip, a couple of miles south of the Flask inn.
They sit in the layby/entrance to the short section of the old road a couple of hundred yards past the bottom of the hill on the seaward side.

This, to my mind, is a simply revenue maker as its on open moor.
A quick look at the speedo showed 61mph but as they allow a very small margin i heard nothing.
Had it been a fixed camera i would now have 3 points.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

Drivers beware.

Drivers beware.
Sounds like Paisley road west..........there used to be some brave people that kept a fairly recent motorhome in one of the central reservations on that road....... personally I wouldn't!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Is the vehicle marked up with Police on it?

Ask the person inside if he is a police officer as if he isn't he shouldn't be in there :)

IMHO these are used more as cash generators than safety vans.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Sounds like Paisley road west..........there used to be some brave people that kept a fairly recent motorhome in one of the central reservations on that road....... personally I wouldn't!
Neither would I !

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001

Brilliant .. So the vehicle travels a greater distance along the line to the camera than on the road itself .. Problem you always have though is after waiting 14 days for the paper work you can never remember if you were over or not. It would be worth the calculation if you were just over.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
I got nicked a couple of weeks ago for the first time in 42yrs:mad: doing 58 in what I thought was a 60 limit in one of our vans but it turned out to be 50mph so am now waiting to go on a speed awareness course on March the 29th to avoid the points on my licence.the cost of the course is £85.00 :eek::mad:
Brian &Jo

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011

Ask the person inside if he is a police officer as if he isn't he shouldn't be in there :)

What are you in about? If it's a police vehicle and he works for the police it doesn't matter if it has police on it or not.
And .. a cash generator or a muppet catcher.
As it's only catching people who are speeding then what's the problem?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Most people don't know basic trigonometry, so it's easier to say that reading in a straight line is more accurate than at an angle, which will record an artificially low speed. Add that to the 10% + 2 margin, it gives you a lot of leeway, if you don't take the Mickey!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
You should be pleased that the police are trying to stop folk speeding past your house.
But they don't stop them, there isn't a speed camera EVER that has STOPPED a car speeding. The car goes past at speed, if the driver believes they are at the correct limit, they will never slow down.
All the camera vans do is send out a NiP up to 14 days later. No offence is ever prevented with camera vans!

Jan 9, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
tribute T615
Exp
Since late 2015

This.

I quite agree. I don't want to come over all 'holier than thou' but if you don't speed you don't pay. And before anyone accuses me of pomposity, of course I've exceeded speed limits but the point is that I try to obey them. Inevitably, I do on occasions fail through poor signposting or lack of attention but if I do get caught, I like to think I will accept it with good grace.

That said, I'll probably now get caught in the morning and be hopping mad by lunchtime!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
This.

I quite agree. I don't want to come over all 'holier than thou' but if you don't speed you don't pay. And before anyone accuses me of pomposity, of course I've exceeded speed limits but the point is that I try to obey them. Inevitably, I do on occasions fail through poor signposting or lack of attention but if I do get caught, I like to think I will accept it with good grace.

That said, I'll probably now get caught in the morning and be hopping mad by lunchtime!
So you'd happily pay a £60 fine and take 3 points because you drove into a 30 limit at 40 because the signs were missing, or inadequate, or hidden, or deficient in someway would you? Because I sure as hell wouldn't!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
What are you in about? If it's a police vehicle and he works for the police it doesn't matter if it has police on it or not.
And .. a cash generator or a muppet catcher.

If some one is using a police vehicle that person has to be a police officer otherwise said person is impersonating a police officer. Last time i looked that was an offence :)

Unless you know different :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Not always the case.
Many police forces employ safety camera partners and are authorised by the police force who employ them.
Their vans are marked, usually with the safety camera partnership livery and the force they are partners to, but not marked POLICE, and are manned by authorised civilians.

Jan 9, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
tribute T615
Exp
Since late 2015
So you'd happily pay a £60 fine and take 3 points because you drove into a 30 limit at 40 because the signs were missing, or inadequate, or hidden, or deficient in someway would you? Because I sure as hell wouldn't!

No, not at all. If the signs were not properly in place according to the relevant legislation, of course I would appeal. But I think we've all probably missed a less that ideally sited sign (albeit legally correct) and got confused over the actual limit. If in doubt, I tend to slow down but even then I might not slow enough.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
This.

And I know you are going to say that all the signage in the whole of the UK is fine, so here is an example. This road here:
https://goo.gl/maps/GE1ZkSoGsHP2
In the image, you can clearly see the 30 sign on the left, but not the one on the right. From the position one is coming from a national speed limit into a 30 mph limit. I can confirm, since I drove that road this morning, that the sign on the left is also totally obscured by foliage. What makes me mad, I know that the 30 limit exists, and I slow down, but rather than trim the hedges, the scamera partnership prefer to lay in wait around the bend!

[Edit to add]
The signage is illegal in this shot, since a transition from one speed limit to another requires 2 visible signs on the left and right of the road. thus in this picture the 30 limit does not exist, thus anyone who receives a ticket on this road has a valid legal position to appeal.

Just saying, if you happen to have driven over 30 through West Meon! :D

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just thinking back to the first speed 'trap' i ever saw....i say trap as it wasnt a camera, it was a crude laser beam only.
Two black boxs, one each side of the road.
Depending how long the beam was broken when passing through indicated you were exceeding the limit but not by how much.
Second copper further down the road stopping, and presumably cautioning , speeders.
HGV & COACHES were stopped and cautioned if they APPEARED to be speeding as obviously the beam was broken far longer than a car indicating a much lower speed.
This particular trap was set up outside my work place so i had plenty of time to observe.
This would have been mid to late 70s.

Jan 9, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
tribute T615
Exp
Since late 2015
Oh no! I'll never argue that all signage in the UK is textbook clear. That was my point - perhaps not clearly made - that if the signs are properly sited, one has to live with the consequences of speeding but in a case like this where one could easily demonstrate that that signage was inadequate, then of course a speeding ticket should be contested.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Oh no! I'll never argue that all signage in the UK is textbook clear. That was my point - perhaps not clearly made - that if the signs are properly sited, one has to live with the consequences of speeding but in a case like this where one could easily demonstrate that that signage was inadequate, then of course a speeding ticket should be contested.
And how many of the drivers that were NiPP'd (yes the camera van was present and correct) this morning will appeal do you think? I'm guessing less than 50%, quite a good return from those hedges I'd say?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
But they don't stop them, there isn't a speed camera EVER that has STOPPED a car speeding. The car goes past at speed, if the driver believes they are at the correct limit, they will never slow down.
All the camera vans do is send out a NiP up to 14 days later. No offence is ever prevented with camera vans!
If it's there every week, folk will get wise and slow down.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back