new solar ect what do you think

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by do1977, Oct 30, 2009.

1. do1977

do1977 Read Only Funster

well i have just fitted to my rv 500wat 12v solar pannals 3000w inverter and 6 x 110 amp batterys

as we live in a great place for sun in the uk i have fitted the above to keep me going i was thinking of adding more batterys is it worth it if parking up and will the pannals give the power to charge?
    i run 2x 12v 22" tv's, sky box, 2 laptops and 4 mobile phones and all of the normal things heater fan, water pump lights ect

i do have microwave and a dryer that will be used sometimes and want to have the power there and charge the batterys with the solar when i use them

i have also taken the 240v charger of the mains and fitted it to the genny and the same with the 110v ie the fridge so wont lose power there

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Even with your panels I think you will need the help of 240v in the UK (come to Spain)

But you can increase your panels efficiency by 1/3 if you can tilt the panels to the sun and if you can also rotate them to follow the sun another 1/3 as in winter the sun in the UK is very low in the sky. In other words flat panels in the UK only work at 1/3 the max in the UK and that at noon, in the morning and evening it's much less.

Doug...

3. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: Just one point. What Controller do you have? Something like the Controller that I have can take the extra voltage produced by the Panels and convert it to extra Amps for charging.
    I have a Solar Boost 2000E Controller made by Blue SKy Energy. But others make similar Controllers. :thumb:

I agree with Doug. Come to SPAIN. :thumb:

4. do1977

do1977 Read Only Funster

all i have is a 30amp controler
    i may have to get a 50amp controler as i no where there are more pannals cheep
    i no i lived in spain for 9 months and the wether was a lot better

5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I would be surprised if your panels were producing more than 4amps at this time of the year. So work out how much you actually need. 30 amp controller is ample. max theoretical current is 33amps from 500W but it will never get there and probably ony 25% of that on a sunny summer day.

6. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

We have a Morningstar Pro Star 30 controller that shows battery state in both LED display as well as coloured LED's, also Amps in put from solar array.

[​IMG]

Mick