New Social Groups.

Discussion in 'Forum News and Announcements' started by Jim, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Here at motorhome fun I’m sure that apart from just a couple of exceptions we all have at least three things in common. We're motorhome enthusiasts, we have Internet access and a sense of humor. :DHowever we know from just reading the forums that plenty of us share other interests.

The traditional way to accommodate interests outside of motorhomes is to add forum sections on those topics but that is not as good as having a dedicated interest group and we do lose Funsters to other places such as Facebook group chat etc..

To address this I hope to make it easier for you to share your other interests and hobbies with your Funster Friends. Subscribers will be able to form their own social group. They can if they wish make that group public or private and invite others to join. However you will need to provide good reasons for a group to be private. But if just a small group of you want to say plan an invite only rally then that is reason enough.

Once a group is established you can upload photos to the group and participate in group chat so you don’t miss anything that happens in your social group.

I have quickly set some groups up to give you an idea. A Benidorm Snowbird group, so that those that winter down there can join that group and you can plan activities and excursions etc.

Special interest groups, I’ve set up a Dieting, a Ukulele and a Homebrew group so you can see the diversity. Someone might want to set up an “Oxford” group for fans of that city. Or a Foodie group. The possibilities are endless.

No real rules, apart from the obvious. Normal forum rules will apply to all interactions within the groups. Social Groups should have a proper core topic and not be just a private chat room to discuss others or forum politics etc.

I’ve put off having groups like this before because the club has not been big enough, but as we get bigger I think the time is now right to experiment and give them a trial.

Give it a go and create a group or two. I’ll delete inactive groups or groups that I don’t feel are a benefit to Fun, but other than that, that’s it. Give them a go and let me know what you think

Click on “Groups” which is far right on the top blue menu bar (or in the drop down if your screen is small) I will transfer my ownership of those sample groups I’ve made to anyone who wants them.

• Like Like x 13
  2. Baggers53

Baggers53 Funster

This is a very good idea...the diverse topics covered in MotorhomeFun should provide a few groups...
    I for one would like one to cover Real Ale..what do others think???

• Like Like x 3
  3. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Looking at the diet group, as there has been a very good group on here for the 5/2 diet would that be transferred to here or would it stay as separate. Just wondering.
    Think it's a good idea.

4. icantremember

icantremember Funster

@old-mo is too shy to ask himself .... so he just called and asked if there could be an Old Swingers Group.;)

• Like Like x 9
  5. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

will cause divisions between menbers.
    like "i would like to go to that rally"
    you cant your not invited,so sod off.

• Like Like x 9
  6. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

My initial thoughts are that it looks a bit messy. How do I get rid of the rally group and look at the headlines say in the U shaped lounge?
    I did prefer it as it was, any chance of going back please?(y)(y)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

You've confused me.

8. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Eh ? you just scroll down.(y)

9. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Hi Jim,Before today it listed latest posts. Now it lists rally's, motor home posts and U shaped lounge posts in 3 separate section. Am I looking at something different?

10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I don't think so Chris. It won't be used to organise public rallies. Private rallies between a few Funster friends goes on all the time except because they don't want to go public on the forum with it they are forced to use skype or facebook to organise. I've no problem with that. Done it myself.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

12. MikeandCarolyn

Surely if it was an 'invite only' rally the Group would have been made private,so you wouldn't know about it.

13. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Help Jim, don't know what happened but a inbox thing came saying I have the diet group ownership. Have I clicked on something I did not mean to.

• Like Like x 2
  14. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

so they would be more meets than rally's???

15. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

16. Jim

Jim Ringleader

The Rally aspect will come into its own when Funsters are on a rally rather than organising it. Morrocco and a couple of Spanish rallies over the last couple of years I have had to manually add members to a specially created group then make them a private forum section so they can chat and arrange stuff. These groups will negate all that work and give them there own area, that aspect should work well.

• Like Like x 5
  17. MikeandCarolyn

Or even 'Get togethers' :LOL:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jim

Jim Ringleader

if someone wants to organise a private rally or meet so they don't have to invite you or me then I have no issue with that, such use will be rare but people do it anyway so I don't mind giving them the facility to do it here.

• Like Like x 2
  19. MikeandCarolyn

Ha ha,I thought about joining the ukulele group,but did wonder if the first 'joiner' would end up being the Owner :LOL:

20. Jim

Jim Ringleader

oops That was me, each group has a leader or two and I nominated you, go and have a look at your group and you will now see owner tools. You can hand it back to me if you like :)