New searcher still looking. (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
As with other new buyers, I join a queue begging for advice.
So far, we have decided we would like a fixed bed, low profile, or A class van, preferably auto, probably German built, to be kept in Spain, so LHD.
I am particularly looking at a 2005 Hymer B640 starline, and am a bit bogged down by model numbers. Also a Dethleffs Fortero, 2006, and finally a Niesmann and Bishchoff 2004, all around the £30,000, mark, with the ford at £20,000.
So, what do owners favor, transverse or "French" beds, and why? Front or rear wheel drive, Ford Mercedes or Fiat engines?
We were recently let down on a purchase, as the owner decided not to sell (dubious) so I will probably buy from a dealer, with a guarantee.
Thoughts and help much appreciated.
Ainsley

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So, what do owners favor, transverse or "French" beds, and why?
Ainsley

Over cab or over seat is the way !!

The amount of space a low down fixed bed takes is out of all proportion to the time spent in it. Everything else suffers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Ainsley Welcome to Motorhome Fun , not wanting to look as if I am pushing a dealer, but like our campervan hasbeentrashed has said John Cross comes highly spoken of on fun so could be worth a visit.

If the van has a drop down bed I can never see the point of having a fixed bed as well, a waste of extra pay load.

Whatever van you choose enjoy and keep asking that's what the forum is about.:welcomefunster

Upvote 0

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Which ever you choose try to get it right for you....mistakes are expensive

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome. We are another fan of the drop down bed, an instant bed without taking up valuable floor space.

I am sure you will find your ideal van soon.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyboyprowler
Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you all for the input. Can I now ask what do you have in your motorhome that you cannot live without. Also, the Fiat 2.8 diesel seems to be very well used, but does anyone have views on Mercedes or Ford engines? Can any one help with guidelines as to what the Hymer model number designations mean? :Smile:

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I would just go and look at as many layouts as possible till you find one you like.
Neither of us fancied climbing a ladder or rearranging cushions to go to bed so this ruled out the drop down or overcab beds. We both wanted a fixed bed. With this in mind, we only considered fixed bed vans with plenty of room inside for the two of us and two dogs to be couped up in comfort if we didn't want to go out( rain, cold, tired etc....)
There was little point then looking at A class vans as most have the drop down bed, so we just looked at Low profile vans, which, luckily was the style I prefer
I also didn't want to travel too far to buy a van, so we bought locally and bought almost our perfect van.
I had to increase the payload and I will be modifying the under slung water tank to stop it freezing if we ever get to take the van skiing, but that's a low priority for us at the moment
Good luck with your search, and, as others have said, give Johns Cross a chance to get you sorted with a van
Allan

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thank you all for the input. Can I now ask what do you have in your motorhome that you cannot live without. Also, the Fiat 2.8 diesel seems to be very well used, but does anyone have views on Mercedes or Ford engines? Can any one help with guidelines as to what the Hymer model number designations mean? :Smile:

Ok, couldn't do without- or rather what sold it to us
That lovely drop down bed.
Separate shower
Heating & hot water
Fiat 2.5 turbo Diesel engine
Easy to drive
Steering wheels, 4 wheels etc:ROFLMAO:
Biggish locker at the back

I think the Hymer model numbers refer to the different layouts, but not absolutely sure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyboyprowler
Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you Allan, and good advice.
I do like the low profile shape, and I like the idea of a fixed bed, but if a pull down, ie always made fits the bill, and leaves more cabin space for living, then that seems like a fair trade. However both French and lateral bed options seem to have their access problems, so a compromise may be the answer. Our van will be used extensively to tour Europe, so I really would like to know what users consider to be essential items! I suppose that a motorhome is generally a compromise, and " you pay for what you want" but hopefully we, like you, can get it almost right first time!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyboyprowler
Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Ok, couldn't do without- or rather what sold it to us
That lovely drop down bed.
Separate shower
Heating & hot water
Fiat 2.5 turbo Diesel engine
Easy to drive
Steering wheels, 4 wheels etc:ROFLMAO:
Biggish locker at the back

I think the Hymer model numbers refer to the different layouts, but not absolutely sure.

Ah, so you have a Hymer, and which is yours? We are looking at an A class next week, with a rear lounge, auto, on a mercedes chasis and in supposedly good condition. Do you have any thing we need to check out, ie are they susceptible to rot, and are there any points are need to ask. Does the drop down bed remain made, and is it a problem to get into?

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Ours is the B564which has the side kitchen and dinette with a side bathroom inc separate shower I.e the shower is not over the loo and washbasin. This model was design for skiing with the rear locker being heated, the shelves hinge to take skis and there is a waterproof floor with drainage.

One thing to look our for in the older Hymers in a fiat ducato base is the front cross member that holds the radiator in place. Apparently they are know to rot and ours was like rusty lace when we bought it. Colin replaced it easy enough to replace, doing the work himself and paying about £40 for the part.

The rest is the same as any make, timing belt, service history, tyre ages etc. One thing about the older Hymers though is the build quality, 2nd to none IMO::bigsmile:

Having said all that, ours is 18 years old so non of this may not apply if you a looking for a much younger van the van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyboyprowler
Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I think our budget will stretch to around a 2005 model, but I certainly wouldn't rule out an older one if it fitted the bill. I hear that the build quality of the newer Hymers has suffered, as did Mercedes cars from around 2000 to 2008. Do you have any idea of when the Hymers started to go downhill, so to speak!

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I don't know when they went down hill, but some of the newer ones we have seen at shows look pretty amazing. At Malvern we looked in nearly all the Hymers but I just couldn't understand the fixed bed and drop down bed combination, very little living space in a huge van. Finding the correct layout for you is the most important thing.

Why not get yourself to Lincoln show and spend all day looking in vans?

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

Why not spend a couple of hours on my forecourt and have a look round, coffee is free if you ask:thumb:

Peter

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyboyprowler
Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I don't know when they went down hill, but some of the newer ones we have seen at shows look pretty amazing. At Malvern we looked in nearly all the Hymers but I just couldn't understand the fixed bed and drop down bed combination, very little living space in a huge van. Finding the correct layout for you is the most important thing.

Why not get yourself to Lincoln show and spend all day looking in vans?

Sadly we live mostly in Spain, and because our choice is limited here, and a few other reasons, I prefer to get a UK registered, but LHD model. Having said that we are seeing a couple of Hymers, and a Rapido van, here in Spain, next week, , but not sure where the Rapido fits into the "quality" list. One of the Hymers is an auto, with a garage that will take my small motorbike. Also it's auto with a Mercedes chasis and engine, sadly don't know the price, and even if it is a good idea to go for a BIG 'van as a first buy. What do you think?

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
There is a very lively Rapido v Burstner fraternity on here who will no doubt be along to argue the pros and cons of each make. In the meantime, and in my very limited motorhome experience, I think both of those makes sit up there in the 'good quality' market. Along with RMB (sitting at the top) and I think Knaus is a good make too.

As for size - if you are confident driving a bigger van and can afford the fuel then go for it. Our criteria was a van big enough to have the creature comforts but small enough to squeeze down country lanes to get in to the back and beyond of wherever. Colin wanted a diesel turbo engine and power steering, oh and a fridge for his beer!!

Where's the Rapido owners when you need them - SHIFTZZ, MO help! :shout:

Upvote 0

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Hymer 584

We also have a Hymer 584 A class model,1999 year, it has a drop down bed, separate shower and toilet, back end kitchen, long lounge settee and fixed table which extends with 3 captain seats (2 for sitting at table), very roomy loungy area, the made up bed is great at night you just pull down and climb in!! it's a 2.8 turbo diesel and seems very economical.

Rapido's/Burstner/Cathago/Concorde's are all good quality made van's

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyboyprowler
Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I will certainly check out the others that you mention, shame no one came back with a view on the Enlagh.

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
There is a very lively Rapido v Burstner fraternity on here who will no doubt be along to argue the pros and cons of each make. In the meantime, and in my very limited motorhome experience, I think both of those makes sit up there in the 'good quality' market. Along with RMB (sitting at the top) and I think Knaus is a good make too.

As for size - if you are confident driving a bigger van and can afford the fuel then go for it. Our criteria was a van big enough to have the creature comforts but small enough to squeeze down country lanes to get in to the back and beyond of wherever. Colin wanted a diesel turbo engine and power steering, oh and a fridge for his beer!!

Where's the Rapido owners when you need them - SHIFTZZ, MO help! :shout:

I`m here... :thumb:

Well chuffed and pleased.. (So far :winky:) with my "Rapido".... :thumb:::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Can I now ask what do you have in your motorhome that you cannot live without.

A decent payload! :Smile: Can be an issue with some Rapidos. Not just Rapidos, I hasten to add before the Rapido posse launch their counter-attack :winky:, but seeing as you mentioned them ..............

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
A decent payload! :Smile: Can be an issue with some Rapidos. Not just Rapidos, I hasten to add before the Rapido posse launch their counter-attack :winky:, but seeing as you mentioned them ..............

Don't you think it's a bit strange just how quiet the Rapido owners are at the moment, considering what they are usually like? You give them a platform to sing the praises of their beloved marque and they go all quiet on you, apart from Mo, who is a new pido owner :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back