New sat nav system (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just heard on the radio a new sat nav system is now in operation.

the European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service or Egnos for short.

<<HERE>>

five times more accurate than the existing american GPS system.

accuracy of 2mtr.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Great. Next time you get stuck down a narrow lane you'll know even more exactly where you are :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously, anything which can help improve mapping and navigation has to be welcomed.

Graham

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
most of the american GPS satellite were launched in the 80s and early 90s and are a cause major of misdirecting through malfunction.

this system monitors those satellites and if it detects a problem it simply tells your satnav to ignore that particular satellite so you dont receive the duff info.

thats how i understand it anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
isn't this the system that was set up to enable road charging schemes to operate effectively - they will soon be charging us by the mile !!!

carl65

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
five times more accurate than the existing american GPS system.

accuracy of 2mtr.

WHY

we should not rely on these 100% brain power common sence should provale sometimes,
i use sat navs every day and somtimes sending you somewere you should not go mine is tom tom and i have a nav man each one of these brings me within 5m think this is good engough me !!:RollEyes:

carl

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
WHY
we should not rely on these 100% brain power common sence should provale sometimes,
i use sat navs every day and somtimes sending you somewere you should not go mine is tom tom and i have a nav man each one of these brings me within 5m think this is good engough me !!:RollEyes:

carl
within 5 miles...i can do that by memory.::bigsmile:

picture this scenario.

two motorways merge.....maybe 8 lanes.
this will show you which lane you ARE in...not just the lane you should be in like current lane guidance satnavs.

bring it on i say...the paper map is dead.

Last edited:

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
This is Galileo launched by the EU although I don't remember voting for it, Designed to have millimetric precision, the technology was shared with the Chinese who were partners in the early days although once they got what they needed technology wise they buggered off - the technology transfer infuriated the US and that was compounded after a successful Chinese launch of an ASAT anti satellite missile - This has prompted the US to launch their own ASAT programme. The EU project was to be authorised by ratification of the Lisbon treaty but unauthorised funding has been found to get the project going in the meantime.

The idea is that GPS use in the future will have to be paid for.... receivers capable of receiving the US system will be heavily taxed, jammed or banned forcing us to use the EU system which we will pay for either upfront when buying the gear or monthly subscription.

Make no mistake - This technology is going into your car whether you want it or not, your movements will be tracked and monitored and you will be subject to EU wide road charging.

Isn't the EU fun :Eeek:

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
brain power common sence should provale sometimes,
i use sat navs every day and somtimes sending you somewere you should not go
MMMM says a lot!

bring it on i say...the paper map is dead.
Agreed pappa - who can carry enough maps to cover every town in a 3000 mile trip like our recent one through Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Denmark?

isn't this the system that was set up to enable road charging schemes to operate effectively - they will soon be charging us by the mile
Some folk complain about winning the lottery.

Having been in 16 lanes abreast near Amsterdam (2 motorways of 3 lanes per side merging plus a slip road to each in both direction = 16 lanes) then a sat nav correct to a lane would have been a great help in picking the correct lane to merge then leave at next junction.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Make no mistake - This technology is going into your car whether you want it or not, your movements will be tracked and monitored and you will be subject to EU wide road charging.

Isn't the EU fun :Eeek:

so 'they' will be tracking, monitoring and recording each and every journey made by of each and every one of the estimated 30millions cars on the uk roads alone, in real time !

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, bring it on - but I reckon it will be a while before the paper map is dead. I enjoy looking at them too much whilst Jill is driving :Smile:

Graham

so do i Graham but i use mine to CHECK routes...not plan them.

if you know where you're going a satnav will get you there in a fashion that you decide, quickest, scenic, shortest etc and, ofcourse, you can deviate and it will still get you there.

if you dont know where you're going then a map wont help either.

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
AFAIK the current system we all use IS accurate to within 2 meters or so...it's just that the military only let the commerical opertaors to use it based on accuracy necessary for route planning.

They COULD let us use it more accurately but they don't.

The biggest problem is that the reserve the right to stop all but miltary use at their whim.

Bryan

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
These days I use the sat nav to give the first, quick, indication of the route and then have a look at the printed atlas. Best thing about the sat nav when actually moving is the approximate time of arrival :Smile:

Graham

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Sat Navs

Hi,
I have been using inbuilt satnavs in cars for about 9 years now, and they always get you there, even if it is sometimes by a strange route! One sunday outing to a pub in the country took us down some lovely backroads, which we would never have selected by choice. I have now bought a tomtom 730 for the MH - does euro maps as well, but the best thing is, its got an inbuilt receiver, so you can get the directions played through the car stereo without the expense of an inbuilt version or wires. Bit better that a post-it stuck to the dash ::bigsmile:
I still like to look at a map before I go on a trip, just like to know what part of the country I will be in, and maps hold a fascination of their own, to a degree that satnavs dont have (yet).
S.

PS - I thought it was well known that women don't have a sense of direction :ROFLMAO:

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
so 'they' will be tracking, monitoring and recording each and every journey made by of each and every one of the estimated 30millions cars on the uk roads alone, in real time !

Fraid so old chap - The system works by using Satellite to track your movements which are recorded onto the black box, a little bit like route tracking on your TT, this black box knows what roads you have used and will charge you accordingly (best not to speed either, as the fines will be automatically added to the total charge) As you car passes various roadside receivers the information will be automatically downloaded and your account debited accordingly. Simples:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sat nav doesn't replace paper maps.. only the co pilot, a blessing some might say :roflmto:

I have a collection of my dad's old maps from the 60s, some are linen backed, he logged camp sites, routes and interesting info .. they make fascinating, if out of date reading .. I keep old atlases and maps for the same purpose .. can't see my TT being around in 40 years time for my grand kids to enjoy ..

jim

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
I too enjoy looking at maps but in comfort and not as I drive.

Sat nav has one HUGE advantage:

it knows where you are!!

Try using a map when you don't know where to start!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Try using a map when you don't know where to start!!

My Jan is an expert at that ... but could only navigate if going North :Doh: :roflmto:

I recall some years ago we got lost in Paris .. she threw the atlas at me, got out and stomped off .. but in her haste forgot her handbag .. soon came running when I started to move off .. hence TT :thumb: the great marriage saver :winky:

jim

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,

PS - I thought it was well known that women don't have a sense of direction :ROFLMAO:

not true !!!!!

shirl got us from Zeebruge to a village outside Caen just using paper maps and avoiding tolls/motorways but at the same time, if she doesnt know where we are at a given time, she couldnt find her arse with both hands:Doh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I find this fairly funny considering what happens if you are seen with a satnav on the csreen in Spain ( who like to consider themselves one of the major EU players !! )

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
These days I use the sat nav to give the first, quick, indication of the route and then have a look at the printed atlas. Best thing about the sat nav when actually moving is the approximate time of arrival :Smile:

Graham[/QUOTE

Quite agree Graham the ETA is brilliant! We plan the route roughly on Microsoft Autoroute then if we're happy with it we use the sat nav which we then check against Autoroute.

We use the printed map en route to check details and watch out for low bridges etc!:Smile:

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
We only use the Sat Nav as an aide and we always have a general knowledge of the route. Sat Nav's can take you miles out your way sometimes and can make some very illogical decisions at times, so it definitely does help if you plan your route using a map as well.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sat Nav's can take you miles out your way sometimes and can make some very illogical decisions at times

The thing with a sat nav is the same as with any computer - it's as thick as two short planks and only as good as the testing of the programming against the specification and the data available (both of which might also be lacking in completeness).

If we ask for the shortest route it will normally give it - but that route may be only a few metres less than one which is more logical to a human. Similar with the fastest route etc.

Like all computers it's a tool and only valuable within the constraints which apply to it.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back