New Rules for Pets

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Druid_Ian, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Druid_Ian

Druid_Ian Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 3
  2. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Just a little....it just means no tick treatment..... as for tapeworm still under consideration at european level window..could still be 24-48 hours...and only 21 days not a 6 month wait for blood tests

You will still have to see a vet...you will still need a worming tablet given by the vet....you will still need a consultaion and fee by the vet....you will still need all your documents checked at the tunnel and ports... you will still need your rabies jabs upto date...and for us in france it is every year...for us it is a saving of 10 euros.......Mmmmmm

A bit different to what was published early this year, the pet passports system is going to be abolished by the UK

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  3. pablomc

pablomc Funster Life Member

Entry rules for pets entering the UK from the EU and listed non-EU countries:

What has to be done
    Now

Microchip - Yes
    Rabies vaccination - Yes
    Documentation (pet passport or third country certificate)Yes
    Blood test (dogs and cats) -Yes
    Pre-entry waiting period - Yes
    Length of waiting period before entry to the UK - 6 months from date sample taken for blood test
    Tick treatment - Yes (24-48 hours before embarkation)
    Tapeworm treatmentYes (as for ticks)

What has to be done
    From 1 January 2012
    Microchip - Yes
    Rabies vaccination - Yes
    Documentation (pet passport or third country certificate) - Yes
    Blood test (dogs and cats) - No
    Pre-entry waiting period - Yes
    Length of waiting period before entry to the UK - 21 days after vaccination against rabies
    Tick treatment - No
    Tapeworm treatment - Under consideration at European level

4. sue1959

sue1959 Read Only Funster

So basically you can vacinate your dogs go to Europe for 21+ days and come back. No having to wait until 6 months is nearly up before you can travel.
    Am I right?

5. pablomc

pablomc Funster Life Member

That is my understanding, once the new rules come into force.

6. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Hi does anyone have anymore information on whether we have to see a Vet before we come home, after Jan 12? Do they still have to be certified 'fit to travel' and have the tapeworm treatment?

Will these new rules affect the stupidly expensive £30 per dog we have to pay at the port when we come back to UK??

Ginny and Mike

7. ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies Read Only Funster

Try to see a Vet further from the port as it can be cheaper. Vet I saw in Bruges did my 3 dogs for 47 euros.

8. Simba

Simba Read Only Funster

So what will happen if Rabies injection does not take, out of five dogs we have had injected one of them failed the blood test and had to be re-injected and a further blood test taken, without the blood test could easy catch rabies and fetch it back to this country. :Eeek:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  9. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

"So what will happen if Rabies injection does not take, out of five dogs we have had injected one of them failed the blood test and had to be re-injected and a further blood test taken, without the blood test could easy catch rabies and fetch it back to this country."

I think UK is changing the rules because so few animals "failed " the blood test. it is set at such a level that animals would probably have antibodies but not at the level demanded.

It's all been based on statistical risk.

I understand there'll also be a much larger window than the "more than 24 hours but less than 48 hours rule" for the tapeworm treatment. Think it'll be 5 days.

€47 for 3 animals tick and tape treatment is good--my 4 cost me almost €100 each time:Eeek:

10. maz

maz Funster

I was reading that there is estimated to be a 5% blood test failure rate with an initial single rabies injection - generally in puppies and young dogs. For this reason, many vets recommend an initial course of two injections.

The good news for those of us with new puppies is that the blood test is no longer necessary and the pet passport is issued as soon as the puppy has had his/her second injection. :Smile:

11. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

There is no major change

Only change is the 6 month rule.. the rest is the same.

Shame.. pain in the bum having to lay over in France for an extra 24/48 hours.

Our vet in Amiens charges €29 and is very use to the British...

Bob:thumb:

12. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

What I cant understand is that if we are being brought into line with the rest of the EU, then why do we need to visit a VET before we travel home, no other country demands this.

It seems they have relaxed the important Rabies part and left in place the visit to the vets which is the least necessary - and in some cases the most expensive!!

Ginny

13. maz

maz Funster

It seems that continental ticks and tapeworms carry different diseases to our home-grown ones.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/pet-owners/parasites/

14. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

15. alan

alan Funster

Rabies

If we come into line with the rest of europe it will become more expensive as we will have to have our pets vaccinated every year for rabies instead of every 3 years.
    Alan