New Rooflight

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by gazzeroo, Apr 7, 2015.

1. gazzeroo

gazzeroo Funster

Hi all, I am looking for advice again! I need to change the rooflight in my Compass drifter. The one in it now has been completely sealed by a previous owner and I got a drip on the head when I was driving the other day, so have decided to replace it. Could any of you generous people recommend a replacement rooflight, it is a 400mm light, with a handle on either side that you push up to open. I do not necessarily need to replace same for same. I just want a good quality one that will work ok and not leak. Could you also recommend the best sealer to use as there seems to be differing opinions as to the best one. I have seen mastic on a tape, is this any good. I am a competent diyer so shouldn`t have any problems replacing the rooflight. As always I am sure you will help me out and I thank you in advance
    Cheers Gazzeroo

2. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Omnivents are very good but to keep the mechanism from seizing up it's advisable to spray some silicone lubricant on regularly.

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

400mm x 400mm is a standard size so any will fit.

When you remove the old one have good look at the wood battens which form the opening in the roof.

If they are black and spongy, which they may be if its leaked for a long time in the past, they will be rotten and need replacing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gazzeroo

gazzeroo Funster

thanks for the comments guys, helpful as always