new radio

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by iago84, Apr 12, 2015.

1. iago84

iago84 Read Only Funster

I am thinking of buying a new radio on my Autocruise Peugeot Boxer 2011 based as the sound on the existing one is not up to much. Any advice from someone as to what would be best suited. I want something with a decent sound and able to connect to iphone etc. thanks for any suggestions...

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

In my book bad sound would be bad speakers or bad ears.

3. iago84

iago84 Read Only Funster

thanks Brian,,, what did you say???? I know my ears are deteriorating but was also wandering whether the speakers on this boxer are any good also... I have a Honda FRV car and the sound is terrific.. so maybe that tells me that my worn out ears are still in existance... thanks

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Basically audio electronics have been sorted for years, you'll have similar chips inside them all. There are no savings to be made in downgrading the audio quality.

Speakers and speaker enclosures are a different matter. Much room to make or break good sound quality.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

I took my van in to a place in Leeds this lad took one look and said you can put the best unit in there you want but it will still sound crap
    Standard speakers in all ducato range are just cheap crap :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  6. iago84

iago84 Read Only Funster

thanks Peter, I thought as much....

7. iago84

iago84 Read Only Funster

Some nice pics there Brian. I think the Italian Job beach scene is from near me Rossili, Swansea...!!!

8. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Although it sounds a bit naff but you could visit Halfords and try a range of speakers and radios to see if there could be a worthwhile improvement that is economical. They even do the fitting.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  9. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  10. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

I would look at speakers first, that will give most improvement for the smallest outlay.

Halfords stock a VERY limited range of speakers, they are cheap (around £20) and certainly an improvement over standard fit.

You can get mid budget Alpine for around £35 from ebay, £45 for a pretty good pair.

After that, you'd be looking at component speakers, can spend as much as you like but will have issues with fitting them and so on.

As for headunits, Halfords do stock some half decent kit and sensible prices (check online price -not instore).

Sony, Alpine, Pioneer all have some good units with Bluetooth, iphone compatible, usb input etc all for between £50-£100, so no need to spend a fortune...

Finally, will say that as great as the improvement is -
    it's still not comparable to the quality of your average hatchback, but it is a van after all....

I swapped the Fiat cardboard speakers for these, it made a huge difference, even before changing the headunit
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371023945698?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I also wanted Bluetooth/iphone/usb and bought this 'driveless' unit for £70.
    Lots of functions, works great with iphone, can even use siri with it.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.halfords.com/technology/...-drive-less-head-unit-with-bluetooth-and-ipod

• Like Like x 2
  11. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The hab area speakers are ok ish in my rapido but the cab speakers are absolute rubbish. The are also tiny so can only be replaced with something equally small.

• Like Like x 2
  12. iago84

iago84 Read Only Funster

Thanks Moho for the very comprehensive reply... and thank you to all the others for your help in trying to make me do the right decision. ... Have plenty here to chew over... thanks again all..

• Like Like x 1