New Radio fitting Assistance needed. HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

Apologies in advance for the length of post.

Just treated the 'van to a Lidl special, a Silvercrest Car Radio that has connections for an MP3 player 3.5mm pin as well as connections for a memory stick?

When I was removing the previous radio (a Kenwood) there was an extra wire that fitted into the back of the Kenwood ISO adaptor connector. This wire was brown and disappeared off to the right at the back in the direction of the Ignition.

I have 'disconnected' this wire and fitted the new radio.

Everything is working on the new radio except that it will only work with the ignition 'On' (It worked without Ignition on the old radio.

You all know what's coming. I'm assume the wire I have disconnected:Doh: is the power for the radio when the key isn't in the Ignition.
In the book accompanying the kit is a diagram for connecting the power to the radio (via a standard ISO connector block) Pin 4 is described as "Steady plus12v (terminal30)" and Pin 7 has the legend "Ignition circuit positive 12v (terminal 15)"

Would I be right in saying that the previously described brown wire should be connected to Pin 4 of the ISO Connector to allow me to use the radio without the Ignition on.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Can't help with your wire as mine is different. I do have the same (or similar Lidl) radio and it's brilliant for the price. It even has bluetooth hands free for your phone.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
You will need a multi meter as there are several live wires behind any dash
1x ignition live
1x main live
1x light dimming live
1x cambus if it is a modern design
4 or 8 speaker wires normally in the block
& possibly an electric arial wire

best probe the wires to find the main live & once found you can either power both radio lives with this or just the main live & probe again for the ignition live.

In reality you only need 2 wires run direct from the battery to run the radio ive & earth & by doing just this bypassses all the silly junctions the the manufacturer puts in.

just ask if you need more help :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Greetings,

Apologies in advance for the length of post.

Just treated the 'van to a Lidl special, a Silvercrest Car Radio that has connections for an MP3 player 3.5mm pin as well as connections for a memory stick?

When I was removing the previous radio (a Kenwood) there was an extra wire that fitted into the back of the Kenwood ISO adaptor connector. This wire was brown and disappeared off to the right at the back in the direction of the Ignition.

I have 'disconnected' this wire and fitted the new radio.

Everything is working on the new radio except that it will only work with the ignition 'On' (It worked without Ignition on the old radio.

You all know what's coming. I'm assume the wire I have disconnected:Doh: is the power for the radio when the key isn't in the Ignition.
In the book accompanying the kit is a diagram for connecting the power to the radio (via a standard ISO connector block) [HI]Pin 4 is described as "Steady plus12v (terminal30)"[/HI] and Pin 7 has the legend "Ignition circuit positive 12v (terminal 15)"

Would I be right in saying that the previously described [HI]brown wire should be connected to Pin 4 of the ISO Connector[/HI] to allow me to use the radio without the Ignition on.

Any assistance gratefully received.

logic says yes.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for that guys.

I'm still discovering what my very local and friendly garage can do for me.

The boss said, "Bit busy this week, bring it in next week and we'll sort it."

That doesn't mean, I've just found a mug to pay for my next holiday. It means in all likelihood that I'll pick it up and he won't charge me.:thumb:

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Radio Reception breaking up.

Greetings,

Following on from my previous problems regarding fitting the radio I have another problem.

Whilst on site, or at home, and stationary, there are no probs, but when on the move, and not all the time, the radio seems to attempt to change frequency to another frequency of the same station. This causes the reception to stop/start with an annoying breakup of reception. (recently we drove from Staffs thru Brum and South well out of the city before it started to break up)

The unit doesn't do it with a memory stick providing the music nor does it do it when the music comes via a MP4.

I believe that the aerial, which I am led to believe is situated in the nearside door mirror??? may be the culprit (Fiat X244 base).

Is this a common prob. and if so what does the solution entail? Is it a new mirror housing, the fitting of a window aerial or an external aerial stubby I have seen on some 'vans?

All comments gratefully received.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Whilst on site, or at home, and stationary, there are no probs, but when on the move, and not all the time, the radio seems to attempt to change frequency to another frequency of the same station. This causes the reception to stop/start with an annoying breakup of reception. (recently we drove from Staffs thru Brum and South well out of the city before it started to break up)

That is called AF (alternative frequency). The idea is that if you are on a journey and the strongest frequency of the station you are listening to changes which it will the radio automatically retunes itself so you don't have to which is your break in reception while this happens. There will be a button on the head unit labelled AF. Press it. When you see AF Off in the display this won't happen but you will need to retune manually pretty much each time this would have happened. Once you get used to it, its quite useful.

The BBC radio stations have an extension to this which, if I remember correctly will appear on your radio as TP, and will automatically retune to local traffic news. For example if you are listening to Radio 2 on the M6 it will retune to BBC West Mids for the traffic and then retune back to your original program afterwards. This can be annoying.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Greetings,

Following on from my previous problems regarding fitting the radio I have another problem.

The unit doesn't do it with a memory stick providing the music nor does it do it when the music comes via a MP4.

I believe that the aerial, which I am led to believe is situated in the nearside door mirror??? may be the culprit (Fiat X244 base).

Is this a common prob. and if so what does the solution entail? Is it a new mirror housing, the fitting of a window aerial or an external aerial stubby I have seen on some 'vans?

All comments gratefully received.

To "fix" it, turn off the "AF" feature on the FM radio. If you have an accessible AF buttonyou can leave it off, but just press it occasionally to see if there is a better frequency, preferably when the adverts or Michael Buble comes on, rather than right in the middle of your favourite guitar solo.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi NicNac and CMCardle75

You're Stars!!!

Can't say I've cured the thing but at least I've been able to switch off the AF system.

That'll do until I can get a fix on the crap aerial that these "Fix It Again Tony's" have installed.

Once again, Thank you

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back