new project engine upgrade (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have always thought that the old bus was under powered so I have just bought a front end of a 2.8 iTD
for a song it had a rear end shunt that bent the chases.
It the old type td engine so not any electrical ECU to mess with just one drive shaft to machine and bottom engine munt to modify.
fitting the gear change could be a challenge to but it.s going to be a interesting project
finging room for the inter cooler.
But the difference it will make in performance just a bit of paper work for DVLA I would think could be interesting.
I will post regular up dates
I went over the engine ran it for a HR or two having to take a chance on the gear box I had it up on blocks and went through the gears no wining or grinding through the gears so finger x its ok
but if needs be I will have it rebuilt I have to get the buger out before I go for my op next week.
I am removing the doner engine in Manchester so if any one want's to come and hand me a spanner or two pleas feel free to drop bye.
I will get it unbolted and hopefully find someone with a fork lift to lift it out on to my tralore reedy to go to Scotland
her is the donor vehicle
the beast.jpg

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Go for it Bill, but please keep us posted on your progress. Ours has the 2.5tdi on a year 2000 & I feel that its a tad under powered. Ours would be a bit easier that the one your doing as we have the dashboard mounted gearshift.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Go for it Bill, but please keep us posted on your progress. Ours has the 2.5tdi on a year 2000 & I feel that its a tad under powered. Ours would be a bit easier that the one your doing as we have the dashboard mounted gearshift.
I don't think the dashboard mounted gear shift will be a problem my one is LHD and I think I might get away with a mod to that if not I will mount the gear shift on the dashboard
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I am toying with resigning and bottom top end rebuild just for pace of mind as it is a high mileage engine
it is sweet but would benefit Frome some TLC
BILL

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Iwill just let every one know my self and lyn are sorting things out five months of masonry for both of us was to much.
we have had lots of good chats and lought and cries over the las few weeks.
we cant throw away thirty five years of our life's in the bin
bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
If any one wants any parts off this donor vehicle it will only cost posteg and a donation to @Jim charity as apart Frome what I want the rest is getting scraped ther is still sum good salvaged bits to be had or collection from site you pull it out bill
bill

Last edited:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Iwill just let every one know my self and lyn are sorting things out five months of masonry for both of us was to much.
bill

Bill that the best news I've heard in years. Your a decent man with lots to offer & I'm sure Lyn will appreciate that.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Hi Bill, please can you tell me if the mirrors are intact & are they manual or electric?

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Bill that the best news I've heard in years. Your a decent man with lots to offer & I'm sure Lyn will appreciate that.
Only one member of the family not happy heas back in his own bead :)
IMG_0615.JPG

In the huff got the hump on he won't come near me gruelling at me when I go near lyn or jay
He had better lighten up or it's nales clipped for him and a bath for him:eek:
Bill

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
That's good news Bill may you go from strength to strength.
Jay will be over the moon to have grandad back.Dog will come round!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
very happy to hear your news Bill, sometimes a break apart makes you realise its the small things in a relationship that mean the most. stress can mean you lose focus of that and you take it out on those you love the most. god knows youve had enough stress

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Great that Lyn has reclaimed the man shed so it's now a she-shed!!( but where are your tools?!

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
IMG_0617.JPG
The front grill and radiator removed it hised it down all day
It's not the best working conditions or place to remove a engine
IMG_0621.JPG
Drive shaft's removed thay put a one hell of a fight every bolt was ether seized or runded and nothing but the most basick of tools on site
Bill
IMG_0622.JPG
dont know what this leaver on the side of the injector pump is for it is worked by a solinoid?
I have removed all the clamps mounts nuts bolts and bits and bobs apart frome the gear Chang cabals there a birch to get to
I will have to remove the cluch cabill and shorten and adapt to a LHD vehicle
Looks like there's a few challenges ahead
Bill

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
bill
Just came across this Bill, what lovely news.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Pleased for you both Bill.(y)

I won't offer any advice on the engine swap.

I might eventually be able to work out how to open the bonnet.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
View attachment 163477 The front grill and radiator removed it hised it down all day
It's not the best working conditions or place to remove a engine
View attachment 163480 Drive shaft's removed thay put a one hell of a fight every bolt was ether seized or runded and nothing but the most basick of tools on site
BillView attachment 163482dont know what this leaver on the side of the injector pump is for it is worked by a solinoid?
I have removed all the clamps mounts nuts bolts and bits and bobs apart frome the gear Chang cabals there a birch to get to
I will have to remove the cluch cabill and shorten and adapt to a LHD vehicle
Looks like there's a few challenges ahead
Bill
Stop solenoid? Or cold start fueling?

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I feel your pain on the underpowered situation.

I've the 1999 2.8D non-turbo which puts out 85hp I think. Joining a motorway with an up hill on-slip (seriously, who's idea was that?!) at 39mph is scary process :(

My motorbike puts out more power than that, doesn't weigh three and a half ton and doesn't have all the aerodynamic properties of a block of flats.

Interesting project!

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Stop solenoid? Or cold start fueling?
thank tony it will be weird up in parallel with the fuel solenoid apparently I should be weird up to a permanent live when ignition is on but thinking that that is incorrect information I have revived
bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I feel your pain on the underpowered situation.

I've the 1999 2.8D non-turbo which puts out 85hp I think. Joining a motorway with an up hill on-slip (seriously, who's idea was that?!) at 39mph is scary process :(

My motorbike puts out more power than that, doesn't weigh three and a half ton and doesn't have all the aerodynamic properties of a block of flats.

Interesting project!
my old engine was 2.5 TD it was like driving a brick way under power hopefully problem resolved
bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's