New product idea (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
After downsizing to a PVC I found that I dont have enough hanging space. I have a big area over the cab where I can lay clothes, but what I wanted occasionally was a rail or two for drying towels or hanging wet coats or a long dress (dress not for me)

Now my bathroom has wood effect walls so I cant use suction cup hooks etc as they wont stick.
So I saw and bought a plastic extending bar with a clamp in the middle with suction cups either end. It will stick due to the force against the walls from the extending pole clamp, However being plastic it flexes when weight is put on it making it fall off.

So not finding something stronger I have made a prototype extending bar that i am currently testing in my van. Its been up with weight on it for around 2 weeks.

Im looking at making some up to sell at shows.

I will add some photos here soon if anyone is interested.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We have had one of these exactly as you describe in our bathroom for years now, put S hooks on it and hang our anoraks, bags with all our under wear in so it's at hand in the bathroom in the mornings the weight it takes is surprising. They can be bought quite easy at various places.

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
We have a PVC too. I bought a couple of the telescopic bars and place these on the inside frame of the two skylights. Ideal for hanging stuff like towels and tea towels, but we've also used it for the very odd occasion we've needed to travel with 'posher' clothes!

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Isn't that just like an adjustable shower rail, but without the curtain hooks?

Yes but with a re-adjustable locking mecahamism and suction cups

We have a PVC too. I bought a couple of the telescopic bars and place these on the inside frame of the two skylights. Ideal for hanging stuff like towels and tea towels, but we've also used it for the very odd occasion we've needed to travel with 'posher' clothes!

I didn't think of using the inside of the skylight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We had three cupboard keepers left over from our previous van. We don't need them in the current van lockers so use them in the washroom for towels or wet coats.

washing2.jpg

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Warning: At a guess that would destroy the thin plastic walls in our Burstner.
If you have smooth plastic the suction cups grip with no pressure from the telescopic clamp. You only need pressure on textured surfaces like wood.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you have smooth plastic the suction cups grip with no pressure from the telescopic clamp. You only need pressure on textured surfaces like wood.

Our Burstner has 10mm corrugations to give the very thin plastic a bit of strength. It's waterproof and strong enough to stand an elbow but that is all.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Beware if the bar is fixed from side to side (rather than back to front) You will probably find that the hangers will jump off while driving over "sleeping policemen", particularly in France where they are higher than normal and there are loads of them!

colyboy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back