New plans to overhaul driving tests, including changing the age and using satnavs

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mike B, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Mike B

Mike B Funster

The Telegraph

New plans to overhaul the driving test are being drawn up which could see the age limit raised and part of the test using satnavs.

The Department of Transport is drawing up a consultation to help increase the pass rate which include a controversial part-privatisation of the practical examination.

It could see the closure of test centres, job losses at motor agencies and fees for services such as personalised number plates increased, according to the Independent on Sunday.

According to the paper the document states: “We will also consider how we might meet continued strong customer demand for the practical driving test, through exploring partnerships with other organisations. This might include

operating from a range of different sites, or delivering some elements of the test through partners.”

Another proposals is raising the age at which drivers must declare that they are fit to drive from 70 to 75.

The paper reports the consultation will form the basis of next year’s formal strategy on the future of the country’s three motoring agencies – the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA), the Driver and

Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and the Vehicle Certification Authority (VCA).

Presently the pass rate for learner drivers is under 50 per cent and the plans could see more tests being made available on evenings and weekends.

It is presently piloting an examination that asks learners to follow satnav directions for 20 minutes.

If the trial is successful, it could be the biggest shake up of the test since the written theory exam was introduced in 1996.

The changes, proposed by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency, could see the three-point turn and reversing round a corner scrapped.

These will be replaced with more commonplace manoeuvres such as reversing out of a parking bay.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Well having just sat in a classroom for five seven hour days to gain my CPC I know for a fact that every LGV driving test centre in the country has been closed and run out of private driver training premises. As for only 50% pass rate that seems very high considering the way a lot of new drivers drive. Sat navs, what about being able to hold a phone to their ears or texting, most could do with some training on that to cut the amount of fatal accidents on our roads! :whistle:

3. GAVLAD

GAVLAD Funster

Next they'll be scrapping the examiner in the passenger seat and replacing them with a pre set route in the sat nav with driver habits collected and downloaded from the black box recorder!
    It's a shame that government departments never look at privatising Whitehall.

• Like Like x 3
  4. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Probably saves money by cutting out the examiner ... if the driver returns to base in one piece then they pass .... if they get lost and are never seen again it's a fail!;)

Hope they bring the 75 age qualification soon.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. campa cola

campa cola Funster

I do hope they do raise the test age. 17 is way to young to be responsible for a driving a car IMHO. And certainly a bike like power graduation should be a minimum too. But certainly sounds like some action is being taken. The test age should be raised to 20 IMHO and any major infringements means an automatic year or more ban. We need to move from seeing driving as a right to a privilage.o_O

• Like Like x 1
  6. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

It would make the roads far safer if you had to pass a motorcycle test before getting a car licence.
    Air bags, ABS and the like make drivers feel invincible. When this is added to the modern engines that give 100hp from a 1 litre, they can drive well in excess of their ability.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Portland

Portland Funster

I agree with some of it, I do not see the point of increasing the pass rate as standards need to rise, raising the medical declaration to 75 is stupid, I believe everyone should have a medical at 70(at their own expense) to stop people being economical with their ailments and compulsory reassessments at 75. And before you ask I'm 73 and have just passed my Medical.:whistle::whistle:

• Like Like x 3
  8. philw111

philw111 Funster

Does this mean that they will make satnav compulsory? Otherwise what is the point of making someone pass a test on something that they can choose never to use or even have on their vehicle?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Johnnyb

Johnnyb Funster

Bad move. The age should be lowered to 60 with a compulsory re test every year.

:whistle::reel::roflmto:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

Why?
    We cannot train new drivers properly as it is, so how will this improve things?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

If they lower the age to get older drivers off the road a lot of hgv drivers will be getting early retirement instead of having to work till 67 as it is for a lot now. Also it does seem funny that one minute they deemed fit to drive 44 tons then the next minute not fit to drive at all. If the retirement age is being raised so must everything else.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Speve

Speve Funster

Caught one then!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

14. Portland

Portland Funster

HGV Drivers should be able to drive as long as they want as everyone else but no one should drive if their medical condition is such they are a danger on the road no matter what age they are. The reassessment driving tests would be at their own expense no exceptions and separate to the other driving tests

15. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

They should stop me now , I need the rest. Haha

• Like Like x 1
  16. Highwayman1

Highwayman1 Funster

Talking of learning and re-testing whatever the outcome, IMHO it should encompass a simulator beforehand as an indicator of a level of competence.
    Despite having a full motorcycle licence, quite rightly I had to do time in a simulator before the RAF let me loose onto the nursery area in a car, (Moggy 1000 Traveller), in 1974. I also had to suffer on a skidpan to learn about both lack of , and regaining control of a vehicle. It was quite a good experience in the `sim` and on the `pan` although I did feel queasy when I was a passenger in the back. I know also that my experience in riding my motorbike helped with awareness of surroundings.
    Driving in Lincolnshire nowadays isn`t for the faint hearted or those who are unaware of their surroundings given increasing casualties this year.

17. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

That would prevent most under 20s from working.

• Like Like x 1
  18. campa cola

campa cola Funster

No they would learn to use public transport and not mommy's and daddys car and bank account.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

It would make life for young people in isolated rural areas even more difficult. A scooter isn't the answer with our hills /narrow roads etc. Daughter had a scooter and was swiped off it by a cattle truck - which didn't stop.

I agree with the infringement = ban though.

20. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

What public transport? Not even school transport here once you are over 16. 4 miles to nearest bus route (bus doesn't go within 12 miles of the school). 8 mile walk to school along narrow but busy "B" road with no footpath.

• Like Like x 1