new owner of a fiat ducato

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by daveshott, Jul 10, 2012.

1. daveshott

daveshott Read Only Funster

Ok I feel so stupid about this , i am probably not the first one to do this , but I recently could not resist buying a fiat ducato compass 1.9 turbo 1992 , ok it cost around 5,000 and so far i.ve spent 300 on a new batery new radiator and service parts , but the BIG MISTAKE WAS TO PUT £20 POUNDS WORTH OF DIESEL IN THE WATER TANK !!! . Shame on me should of had my specs on , but could someone tell me if i have to exchange the tank and pipes to the outside of van , i have not pumped the liquid round yet ! has anyone got some good advice for me ! ok i know i should of had specs on ! thanks dave

2. aba

aba

hi and welcome to fun.

you are not the first nor will you be the last to have this accident.
    someone will be along to advise shortly.

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Who's a silly boy then !

The answer is already here somewhere, not easy but many flushes of detergent I think, much easier if you haven't run a tap and got in the pipes as well.

Use the search facility, it might take a bit of looking but it's here somewhere.

4. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Dave, have a word with Jim..(Scot jimland) on here..he did work in the food industry, he may be able to help you get rid of the taste and smell of Diesel out of your fresh water tank:thumb:...Good luck

5. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Dave, me, I would empty it out, contiunally flush it through with the clean tank type stuff you get for water tanks.

I never ever drink out of mine anyway and have bottled water, even the dog does.

Sorry about your mishap, but it has made me giggle, :Doh:

Never heard that one before.

6. aba

aba

having said all that though and you may be able to flush it but as its an older tank you may benefit from a replacement.

7. daveshott

water taank

yes i was guided by the auction centre , but without specs i kind of guessed ! worse thing happen at sea heh :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Well "Daveshott" that takes some balls to come on here and admit to a cock - up of those dimensions.

I watch customers switch Diesel and Petrol every week on our forecourt but I've never seen Diesel in the water tank.

As a matter of interest, I serviced my Ducato before I set off to Garda and found some a**hole had put screen-wash and water in the PAS reservoir. They are only inches apart but not advisable. I had to carry out multiple flushes before I got shot of the water.

Welcome Dave, you'll feel right at home here where there are more nutters per capita than any other site on this interwebbynet thingy....Griff...:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  9. daveshott

water tank

Hi thanks for your comment i know it was a silly thing to do , but heh wont do it again ever , easy job fitting a new rad , and runs well first outing for us will be end of july with a bit of luck

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

As already mentioned, use detergent, this will break down the diesel, but it is a long slow process..

Fill it with hot water and detergent and allow it to soak overnight then empty and repeat. If the tank can be agitated that would help or a brush on a bendy stick is a possibility. Then flush it through with lots of hot water until completely clear of detergent. The flush may have to be repeated many times.

Finally fill with fresh cold water and a big dose of bicarbonate of soda.. leave overnight then flush with fresh water.. this should remove the taint ..

I have also heard that using concentrated orange juice in the final flush will also help remove taint ..

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  11. daveshott

tank

thanks jim will try this , I may be able to get hold of a 2nd hand tank too , but its a bt of a nightmare ! thanks again

dave

12. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Hi Dave,
    do not worry mate.. you aint the 1st and wont be th elast.. And it is not as if it is the end of the world :BigGrin:

There should be a large plastic cap/lid affair on the top of the tank
    Remove that and have a grope around inside the tank in the diesel feeling for a tap.

Place a suitable receptical under than van to catch the diesel in and undo said tap

Leave the tap open and squirt washing up liquid all around the inside of the tank

Get the hose in there and have a bloody good squirt about...

Then once drained and the basic residue is removed you can start the clean up

Yup, pure orange juice is pretty good at killing most smells..

But one that has not been mentioned yet.............

After you have done the detergent thing, the juice thing, and repeatedly flushed it all out, stick a whole bottle of Milton ( baby bottle sterilizer fluid ) in the tank and then fill it right up.

Leave it in for at least 24 hours then do the flushing out thing a couple more times

13. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Would Coca-Cola be any good?

14. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Go to a local motor factors
    Buy TFR trafic film remover.
    Pour in the tank, top up with water
    then keep flushing through.
    It is a really strong detergent for cleaning commercials and it`s job is to remove grease or diesel:thumb:

15. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Have used Coca-Cola on grey water tank to freshen, but don't think it would work on diesel.

16. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Dave have a look under your van at the tank to see if it has a screw on cap underneath :thumb:If it has unscrew it and let all drop then flush as Jim says
    terry