new or used motorhomes ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by JimboT, Jan 15, 2014.

1. JimboT

JimboT Funster

We have recently bought a motorhome and a few of our friends are now interested in getting one.
    The question is would you buy new £40,000 ~ £50,000 or buy used for that budget.
    We bought used because we did not know 100% what we wanted.
    They are looking for 4 berth machines.
    They seem to think i am an expert only been away three times two days max.
    Jim

2. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

You now know more than you did before, and probably more than them!

3. chaser

chaser Funster

I'd buy used at half or even a quarter of that:Eeek:

• Like Like x 4
  4. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

Definitely USED every time.:Smile:

You can do exactly the same things in a used motorhome as you can do in a new motorhome.

Older Motorhomes are built better.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

It's all a matter of budget and personal choice :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Used.

Let someone else take The Big Hit and fix all The Faults.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Definitely used for us even if we won a million on the lotto.
    We've had new and used and older m/homes are so much better built then new ones. In fact we sold a new m/home, had it less than a year and bought the one we have now which was 8 years old when we bought it. There is no comparison in the quality this is streets ahead of the new one. We sold because we were very disappointed with the quality not for financial reasons. Admittedly we did go from a American RV to a German so you would expect better quality but even so we made a conscious decision to go older to get the quality and have not regretted it once, probably best decision we've made motorhome wise.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

buy a new motorhome and you lose 20% or 25% of its value just driving it home. there are always very low mileage vans available sold on by people who bought in error etc

my advice to anyone who hasnt motorhomed before is to rent one for a week or buy a cheap older van first to experience the lifestyle. its not for everyone and can be a lot of money wasted if it doesnt suit you. if you buy the right second hand van privately you would hopefully lose very little if you sold it on a few months later. thats what a great many australian and south african visitors do. buy a van second hand experience europe and sell on before going home, makes a cheap holiday and a great experience. just wish it was as easy and cheap the other way round.

9. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

We bought our "new" motorhome a couple of months ago.
    The previous owner, who bought it new, must have ticked just about every option box on the order form. Lucky for us, they only did 1160 miles in it during the 3 years they owned it :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Phill D

Phill D

there are good deals for used vans about or even end of season new vans.

the ONLY prob with buying used is that if you want a specific layout on a specific van then you may not find it.
    we bought new the last van as it was end of season and that years van got £7k of the price and there was 7 miles on the clock.:thumb: had it 3 years and sold it for £2k less than paid for it, that dont happen often.

this time we wanted an ADRIA and a specific layout ,,,, no chance used :Doh::cry: so new it was.

but the best value for your buck is used. but theres a lot of shopping to do ( as you know ) and .... layout that suits you is everything:thumb:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

That's interesting as we viewed a 2012 Bessacar on Saturday and then a 2004 A class Hymer and much to our surprise we fell in love with the Hymer. It seemed superior in every way but we were a bit worried about buying a vehicle that old. Having done lots more research this week we are no longer concerned that the Hymer is too old and think we are actually getting far more for our money and it will not devalue as quickly either. Fingers crossed the test drive goes well this Saturday and we get to part with our money :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bellini

Bellini Funster

For your budget, used every time. :thumb:

13. Spenders

Spenders

New or used?

From my own albeit limited experience, and from the posts I've seen on here, I'd go for buying used every time.

It seems to me that all motorhomes have some sort of issues when they are new.... that the first owner has to sort out. Why be that person if you don't have to? If you have the budget then buy one between 1-2 years old... young enough to be fresh, new and modern but old enough for the first owner to have sorted out the faults.

I can also see the argument for older as in better build quality but that doesn't sway me quite as much (says he with an '06 Autotrail!)

Simon

14. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Used if they can get what they want. We bought our Accent in August 2012 - it has only got around 1000m on the clock and was just over 2 months old, the previous owner had bought it then found his Mum didn't like the transverse bed layout so he changed to a French bed layout for her ... it cost him £44k, it cost us just under £40k so nearly 10% cheaper for what was in effect a virtually new van ... and we got a very good PX deal too! :thumb: :BigGrin:

15. Granjan

Granjan Funster

With that budget I'd buy SH, you can get a lorra lorra motorhome for your money with a lot of Dosh off and just a few miles on the clock.....just keep a bit in reserve in case you have any problems. Probably ask a few dealers to keep an eye out for what you want and be patient..... its all a game!

You can always get new upholstery if the basics are tidy.

16. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi

It is nice to have new and we always buy cars new, but saying that when we bought our first motorhome we were not 100% sure what was right for us so we decided to try it out with a used one bought privately. We liked the N&B Flair at well over £150k which is silly money, so we bought a 2006 model for £50k to try it out with a view to buying something new when we were a bit more clued up.

Now we are just going to keep what we have and I keep adding bits to it with the cash we have saved, jacks, solar panels, inverter, coffee machine, microwave etc etc, and we still have £100k in the bank towards another one day.

Would we ever buy new, not sure, quite possibly not.

Martin

• Like Like x 4
  17. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I have a used van, it is our third van... We love it because our buying experience enabled us to make sure we ticked every single box.

I have the possibility of a new job and should I decide to take it and the huge pay rise that goes with it, I will think of buying our next van (a hobby 750) brand new. Taking the hit or not is neither here or there, it's a case of knowing exactly what we want through experience.

We love our current van though and would have to be peeled away from it kicking and screaming....

But we love the hobby too and if we can afford it why not, :thumb:

Although I doubt we will :Eeek:

18. errpaul

errpaul Funster

It's all down to personal choice and what you can afford and what important to you.
    You can get some very well looked after used vans that appear to be new. It is nice to be the only ones to have slept in the bed, used the bathroom etc etc, and you can choose everything as you want it. But you have to be prepared to take a huge hit on the value.......if you know what you want and plan to keep it many years then that's fine.
    Or, you could be like a mate who has a ridiculous amount of money.....so much so that he went to Germany to pick up his brand new merc (car) from the factory...met the man that put together and signed the engine etc etc......drive it home........kept it in the garage for a year or so and sold it having driven it just that one time, losing tens of thousands!

19. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

I would advise used but only when you are happy with the layout, spend as much as you can afford for a bit of quality.

20. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

New or 'pre owned', my mantra has always been 'sit in as many MHs as you can'. One day you won't want to leave.

• Like Like x 3