Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
It is nice, no, AMAZING. However, unless you are a real sports pro, then there is little point in spending over £5K unless you have the money to burn! :roflmto:

I'd love one, but can't justify the money on a camera that doesn't give too many extra features (that I need) over the D7000 (which I currently shoot with) unless I was more professional than the odd occasion that I shoot for money. That sort of money would be better spent on lenses for me. It's comforting to see that some of the features that came out on the D7000 have been a testbed for the D4.

I do like the remote http feature though, that would be great for wildlife photos! I'm hoping that maybe this can be released in a firmware upgrade for the D7000.

After all that, I WANT ONE!!!!!!! :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Watching that guy climb with no ropes makes my skin crawl now:Eeek:, yet when I was a kid Id climb all over the place without a thought:Smile:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Stew daughters just gone the other way and bought a S/H Lomo Luitel of ebay for £32 from the Ukraine

Ian

OP
OP
artona

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Ian...hows your daughter doing, has she graduated yet?

The Lubitel was about thirty years ago, it was a copy of the Rollei twin lens reflex cameras. We loved all the loss of edge definition and darkened edges back then, not sure why :) and its good to hear the fashion is back :)

The Russians were great for making cheap copies, the Zenith E, copy of the SLRs and the great Zorki 4k, a superb little camera copied from the Leicas.

Has you daughter got a blog /website?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Hmm, not sure it's catchup, but I know what you mean.

I don't play the Nikon <> Canon war. The reason I'm with Nikon is that who I chose originally due to better quality lenses, and stuck with 'em. Although I don't like the plastic bodies on the Canon's these days.

Although Canon brought their similar spec out first, the world of photo-journalism and Sports photographers still use the Nikon D3 range rather than Canon, so it's just an upgrade. It's just now they have improved the video element, so the catch up is purely on the video front.

As for our Russian counterparts, Zenith, hee hee, that was my first SLR back in the 80s. Cheap as chips! When the Flashgun (also Zenith) broke, I made a stun gun out if it! Great fun!......

OP
OP
artona

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Since I got my first staff job on a newspaper back in 1978 I have moved back and forth between Canon and Nikon..........oh and Olympus, Minolta, Pentax, Hassleblad, Rollei, Sinar, Mamiya, Fuji, Bronica, in no particular order and I am sure there were others..............its all a game.........stayed loyal to Metz flashguns though, you can't get better than those :Smile:

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Problem these days is that the cameras are so sophisticated/clever (chose your own) that the getting the real benefit out of them means sticking to one manufacturer. Even with Flashguns now with advanced TTL and remote. Shooting with Nikon = Nikon Flashgun. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's great how these all work together, but it does stop you looking elsewhere. Same with Lenses. There are some great "copy" lenses out there, but wouldn't touch any of the them anymore.

I have a friend who bought a Tamron lens, can't remember what it was, but it was a medium zoom down at f/2.8 cost around £600 which was about £300 cheaper than the Nikkor one. A few months later upgraded the firmware in his camera (the epic Nikon D70s) and the lens stopped working. Spoke to Nikon and (quite rightly so) they didn't want to know, spoke to Tamron and they said it was his fault for upgrading the firmware. In the end, after a long wait, he was able to "chip" his Tamron, but it cost him.

So for me, these days, it's Nikon/Nikkor (apart from filters).

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Catchup, because the Nikon released yesterday catches up in ability with one Canon released in 2008. Nikon used to be the press camera of choice with over 70% of pro reporters using them. The turning point was the first Gulf war when most agencies swapped Nikon for Canon wholesale after big problems with the latest F4 letting sand in. Recently A photojournalist school in the states reports that 80% of students are now using pro Canon. The vast majority of sports photographers today use Canon. The Canon-Nikon debate is much like the mac-windows, it's rather futile, both sides have their fans while the kit is pretty much the same and does the same job.

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Totally agree. However, the stats are different where you look. It's more like Labour/Conservative rather than Windows/Mac.

If there is a Canon-biased site/organisation, they always report it's Canon, but the other way around for Nikon-biased. Currently though, the world is far swung towards Nikon but that's throughout the entire photo industry

However, top marks to Nikon Marketing for this. The reason they've held off until now as they are going to push it for the Olympics. They are heavily involved to push the D4. The fact that it has built in Wired Ethernet is going to be a storm. RAW files over wireless is slow and so can large JPEGs. I read that Nikon will be installing infrastructure to allow connections to Wired LANs at the Olympics and will also be very present too.

Clever marketing.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I think I will stay with my D300, using my Leica V-Lux 30 as a point and shoot, although it is more than a point and shoot!

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Nice and nice, both of them.

The thing is, there are so many people who "have" to have the latest just to be materialistic.

Until recently, I was still shooting with my D70s, loved that camera and wish I never sold it. Incidentally, it was a pro who bought it off me to use as a school portrait camera.

It travelled about with me and captured some great photos on it. When the D7000 came out it then gave me the spark to get either the D7000 or the D300s. In the end, I decided to go with the D7000 down to some of the more cutting edge technologies and the fact it does full 1080 video.

However, it then took almost a year to bite the bullet. Why did I go with it eventually? 2 reasons, I crop quite a few photos, with 6.1mp, was struggling and I shoot things that move, birds, mountain biking, show jumping, so needed a quicker burst rate.

Hopefully, this D7000 will also see many years, although if I do anymore of these time-lapse, I'll soon wear the shutter out! :roflmto:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If there is a Canon-biased site/organisation, they always report it's Canon, but the other way around for Nikon-biased. Currently though, the world is far swung towards Nikon but that's throughout the entire photo industry

I don't think it's Nikon biased at all. It's close but Canon for years has and still sells more cameras than anyone else followed by Sony, then Nikon. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...-to-canon-with-new-digital-camera-models.html

I followed the camera wars so closely, it cost me thousands over the years. :Blush: I bought the first ever autofocus camera in Hong Kong The Minolta Maxmum, I think it was the Dynax here. Then the big boys started but Nikon lost the autofocus war in the late 80s when Nikon stayed loyal to their users and ensured that all the old Nikkors would fit the new autofocus cameras. Canon dumped on their users and rendered millions of FD lenses useless when they bought out their EFS mounts.

We all thought this was a big mistake and that canon would sink and Nikon would maintain its dominance. But Canon started again with autofocus and a clean slate, not confined to workarounds for 30 year old lenses, they made motors for lenses rather than have focussing motors in cameras focussing old Nikkors. This worked so well and autofocus and follow focus was soon faster than the pros wrist. Sports pros couldn't dump the Nikkons fast eough The result is the sea of white lenses at Sports events, even today they are all Canon. Nikon just cannot seem to win a way back into this area it's not made easier by Canon giving millions of ££ of lenses to the agencies.

The wars between the two now are not as exciting and the improvements are in increments rather than leaps. Still interesting to follow though.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Ian...hows your daughter doing, has she graduated yet?

The Lubitel was about thirty years ago, it was a copy of the Rollei twin lens reflex cameras. We loved all the loss of edge definition and darkened edges back then, not sure why :) and its good to hear the fashion is back :)

The Russians were great for making cheap copies, the Zenith E, copy of the SLRs and the great Zorki 4k, a superb little camera copied from the Leicas.

Has you daughter got a blog /website?

Yes she graduated 2009, seems like only yesterday we took her up there for the initial interview. The Lomo cameras take pictures in a different way somehow, she did explain it, but it went over my head. :roflmto: She wants to do more black and white pics, prefers old fashioned film to digital for some reason.

Since graduating she's had a 6 months contract on the Caribbean Princes as a photographer, reckons she learnt more there in 6 months than she learnt in 2 years at uni. And is waiting to go back for a second contract. She's finding it very difficult to get any regular paid work in England, although at the moment she's working weekends taking photo's in a rock club, and doing bar work elsewhere.

Her website is Link Removed

Ian

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
But that's for camera shipments. It covers all cameras. Canon and Sony have the market lead in Point and Shoot which will push these up higher than Nikon.

In the Pro world, Sony won't be anywhere near the sales of Canon and Nikon. However, they make some great cameras, just never going to topple the 2 giants due to the support Canon and Nikon provide.

It goes on to say that Canon and Nikon share the market on SLRs well above Sony. However, again, this is also to do with the consumer market where Canon do have the lead, however, not in the Pro scene I doubt it's clear cut.

As already mentioned though, it's horses for courses, like saying which MH to buy. Whatever suits your needs. I always cringe at the Nikon <> Canon war, completly pointless as if people are threatened.

It also happens within one manufacturer too. When the D7000 came out, a lot of D300 users started going on the defensive starting the D7000 vs D300 debate. As mentioned before, it's all materialistic, people don't want to be seen with a camera that isn't the best. It doesn't stop at just cameras though, obviously.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Craig, it was you who mentioned the entire photo industry when you said "The world is far swung towards Nikon but that's throughout the entire photo industry" That is not the case, accros the industry Canon sell more than anyoneelse. As for the pros, Canon lead at the moment and it's Nikons to win back. All those white lenses you see the press use are Canons::bigsmile:

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Yeah, sorry, I meant the entire Pro scene as there's more to just the sports guys. The wildlife and studio guys I've come across mainly use Nikon, but as you say it's a close thing. Doesn't really make much difference to me, apart from the more money Nikon get, the more tecnology (and more importantly lenses) come to the market.

It's probably the reason why Nikon have targeted the Olympics with the D4, clever markerting to try and steal the sports market.

As most "normal" people realise,these are light proof boxes that captures images, whether they are Canon or Nikon, it's like saying BMW or Merc (of which I'd actually have neither).

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Hmm, not sure it's catchup, but I know what you mean.

I don't play the Nikon <> Canon war. The reason I'm with Nikon is that who I chose originally due to better quality lenses, and stuck with 'em. Although I don't like the plastic bodies on the Canon's these days.

Although Canon brought their similar spec out first, the world of photo-journalism and Sports photographers still use the Nikon D3 range rather than Canon, so it's just an upgrade. It's just now they have improved the video element, so the catch up is purely on the video front.

[HI]
As for our Russian counterparts, Zenith, hee hee, that was my first SLR back in the 80s. Cheap as chips! When the Flashgun (also Zenith) broke, I made a stun gun out if it! Great fun!......

Yep i had one of them they did,nt click, just went clunk:ROFLMAO:

[/HI]

OP
OP
artona

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Yes she graduated 2009, seems like only yesterday we took her up there for the initial interview. The Lomo cameras take pictures in a different way somehow, she did explain it, but it went over my head. :roflmto: She wants to do more black and white pics, prefers old fashioned film to digital for some reason.

Since graduating she's had a 6 months contract on the Caribbean Princes as a photographer, reckons she learnt more there in 6 months than she learnt in 2 years at uni. And is waiting to go back for a second contract. She's finding it very difficult to get any regular paid work in England, although at the moment she's working weekends taking photo's in a rock club, and doing bar work elsewhere.

Her website is Link Removed

Ian

As I was typing my question Ian I thought I knew she had graduated because I think it might have been me that suggested the cruise ships to you. Its what I normally recommend when asked by a uni grad.......now you have had the fun go learn something it all on the cruise ships ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

But was it really 2009...wow........its 2012 now ....time flies ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
This chappie I know fancies himself as a good photographer mainly because he has all the gear and could bore you for days with "F8 at a fortnight" conversations.
... one day he sold all his Canon stuff and replaced it with Nikon
when you consider all the lenses he had ..it was a strange decision.
He went on to make just the same uninspiring images with all his new nikon gear.

I still think the eye behind the camera is the most important bit of gear:Smile:

barry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I still think the eye behind the camera is the most important bit of gear:Smile:

barry

absolutely .. great cameras don't take great pictures on their own.. some of the most amazing pictures have been shot with pin hole cameras..

I have a D50 with a couple of Nikon lenses, and as yet haven't stretched it's capabilities so there would be no point in me buying anything better .. but I would like a longer lens... another thinks otherwise.. :roflmto:

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I have a D50 with a couple of Nikon lenses, and as yet haven't stretched it's capabilities so there would be no point in me buying anything better .. but I would like a longer lens... another thinks otherwise.. :roflmto:

Money is much better spent on the Lens. It also doesn't depreciate like the camera body does.

Edit: Forgot to mention how good the D50 is. It's a more compact version to the D70s but with some little bits (that most people don't need) taken off.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back