New Motorhomers to join the club! (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have one daughter and she takes up most of the cupboard space in the MH, you don't stand a chance with 4 :)

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Hi all,

We were at the NEC Birmingham this year with the intention of upgrading to a Buccaneer caravan. Somehow, we drove home with an order sheet for Dethleffs Coachbuilt 7870. So that's why we're here :). This comes in March, and we absolutely cannot wait! We've already started planning where to go, researching places to stay, researching other options (e.g. nav systems, air suspension, inflatable awnings!).

We have 4 lovely daughters who love exploring as we do. To us, this (expensive) leisure activity is about freedom and getting away from technology (PS/3s, phones, TVs, computers!) and avoiding cabin fever.

Anyway, I will probably post in the main forums for our first set of questions to gain valuable insight from everyone's experience here. Talk to you all soon!
Hi welcome
Nice starter van(y)

OP
OP
Jeroen van den Oever

Jeroen van den Oever

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie - caravanner since 2008
Nice starter van(y)

Yeah, taking the bull by the horns. We had a twin-axle caravan towed by a big 4 x 4, so the size doesn't intimidate me, but it could be argued that's one heck of a first step :)

Thing is, having 4 kids and with all the stuff we want to take with us (and with such a big payload, we start thinking about the things we could never take in the caravan... :love: ) any van smaller than the one we picked would be an issue... first world problems eh? :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Yeah, taking the bull by the horns. We had a twin-axle caravan towed by a big 4 x 4, so the size doesn't intimidate me, but it could be argued that's one heck of a first step :)

Thing is, having 4 kids and with all the stuff we want to take with us (and with such a big payload, we start thinking about the things we could never take in the caravan... :love: ) any van smaller than the one we picked would be an issue... first world problems eh? :LOL:

Yup we are also refugees from caravaning. Argenta 6 berth, twin wheel, tug was an LR Discovery Best thing we ever did was change to a motorhome

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
hello and welcome to the house of fun. hope to see you at a meet.

OP
OP
Jeroen van den Oever

Jeroen van den Oever

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie - caravanner since 2008
Yup we are also refugees from caravaning.

So you can speak from experience... I'm guessing a lot is the same; aside from space and “up-and-go” convenience, what would you say are the big plusses and differences vs. caravanning?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
So you can speak from experience... I'm guessing a lot is the same; aside from space and “up-and-go” convenience, what would you say are the big plusses and differences vs. caravanning?
Like many we also had a caravan, pros and cons are different for each individual as it depends what your looking for.
The Pros for us is how easy it is to nip away for the weekend, not having to hook up van tow it then set it up. Where we stay in the south west Scotland we have loads of places we can wild camp on the beach front couldn't do that with a caravan.
Also we sometimes just nip away for one night so just a case jump in MH drive for half an hour and spend the night.
When we do our annual holiday we tend to move on every 2 or 3 days, when we had the caravan we would stay for over a week on each site.
Personally I can't see to many cons for us although some will have the following.
Transport once on a site, we have bikes or use public transport. If you want to visit somewhere in particular just plan it better.
Finding parking spaces in towns, our MH is 7.4 m long so we will look for a P&R or a car park with a grass verge we can reverse the back of van over.
Space can sometimes be an issue depending on size of MH and amount of people which could be for you, don't know the layout of yours but we always find space to relax or chill.

Once you've been out in it a few times you work out what's best for you and do things your way.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, As Lorger say's, we do the same hence my handle Fidget , I/we never stay any where more than 3 nights but we might only move 10/15 miles further on , hate having to drive back over the same ground too many times.
Enjoy, experiment never rush, you can find peace and quiet etc it can sometimes be just around the corner in some nice cl/cs rather than a campsite.
Terry

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Hi and welcome, you will soon be hooked on motorhoming - its very addictive, bit like this forum really :)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome Jeroen!

Its always good to to have younger folks join!
I reckon you will be joining the Motorhome Fun skiing fraternity!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back