Free Member
Oct 21, 2015
redhill
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Hi my girlfriend & I are looking to buy our first motorhome weve looked at loads deffleffs, swift,hymer,flurrette, looking for 4 berth but main concerns are drivability and access to smaller roads
and areas where its necessary to drive down small country roads, weve considered a van conversion as well,due to the width and size we are just looking for some advice from people who own motorhomes and have had experiences with this sort of thing
any advice help would be most welcome
many thanks for taking the time
Ruth & Andy

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hello Ruth and Andy and welcome to the club.

Motorhome choice is always going to be a compromise and although you have said the ability to get down narrow lanes is a high priority, are you sure it is your highest? How much of your time, after all, will be spent driving down narrow lanes as opposed to enjoying the experience when you get there? The reason I ask is that we live in Cornwall and you don't get many areas with narrower lanes than here, yet we manage to get down to all the secluded sites here in our van, which is a 6.6m long, 2.2m wide and 3m high A class. The driving experience is second to none, owing to the high and wide view you get from the driver's seat and the view straight down the flat sides of the van in the large wing mirrors. We have many friends who have owned both coachbuilt and van conversion vans and in truth there are pros and cons for all, but I wouldn't swap ours because we like the comfort a larger van provides. However, if your wish for a van conversion is partly driven by the need to keep the van on your drive or to use it as your main vehicle, you can disregard all I have said here! Happy hunting, Gary

Last edited:

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Hi why not start with reading the guide to buying a Motorhome on here and also consider the e book, there is a lot to get your head around. Then really try and think what sort or use you will be making of it and where. I would also suggest that your first purchase is a used one so that if you make a mistake you can change without serious financial loss. Maybe even no/very little loss. Buying a popular make in a popular layout, between say 2 and 10 years old, with no damp or other no no's, is a good idea. But research and good advice is key, and don't get that advice from dealers!.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Just visit lots of dealers. Look round them all. For us accessibility was the be all and end all. It took us a while( over a year) but finally bought our MH 2 weeks ago. I think in the end you buy one that just 'feels' right for you. Happy hunting.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello. girl-waving-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif Can't really add much more but enjoy your search

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Hi,
Just to add my twopence unless you are looking at RV's then the size of the van width that is , is only a matter of confidence. we go across mountain tracks all over Europe the vans fit just a case of taking you time , Height alas is another matter use a truck sat-nav to avoid low bridges they do turn up in the most unexpected places. But most of all the layout of the van you must be comfortable in it,
try before you buy, enjoy.

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Hi @Ruth&Andy, and welcome to the forum.

I would echo what others have said about getting out and looking, especially @HymerB544 , especially as I have a B544 (albeit older and slightly smaller), which I can shoehorn into most places.

Remember that the people who live down the lanes move house, have deliveries from Ocado, and have their bins emptied, at least in the UK.

If size really is an issue, my first proper MoHo (as opposed to camper vans like VW T3s, Mazda Bongos etc, which may also suit you better?) was based on the Mitsubishi Delica, like this one currently on eBay:-

Broken Link Removed

Genuine little MotorHome with cassette toilet, shower, fridge, cooker et al, yet will fit in any car-parking space and so can be used as every day transport if you want. A real tardis. Four wheel drive to boot, I wouldn't enter the Paris-Dakhar, but you should be fine on most campsites (c;

screen shots for when the eBay Ad expires:-

upload_2015-10-22_7-58-7.png

upload_2015-10-22_8-0-1.png

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Panelvans a good choice, damp not an issue, easier to maintain, faster, more economical, and far more car like to drive. Ours up for sale over in classified section:)

2013 globecar, Possl 636 FR

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our van is just over 7 metres long, 3 metres high and 2.3 metres wide. I haven't found a road that we couldn't drive down yet, and that includes Wales, England France and Spain. We tend to keep off main roads and seem to spend a lot of time driving through villages and countryside. We never plan routes, least of all check them out on Google maps.
In most villages, if there is restricted access, there will be a sign telling you, either a height, weight or width restriction, it's in their interest not to have vehicles stuck blocking roads.
But, if road widths do worry you, you may be better off looking at a panel van conversion.

OP
OP
R

Ruth&Andy

Free Member
Oct 21, 2015
redhill
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Many thanks for all the replies and advice it all helps think after reading them we may go for the A class or low profile deffleffs as many of you state the layout and feel of it is more important than the size and good to know can get pretty much anywhere in one this size.
Also sorry to ask more questions but is it a good idea to join the caravan club for access to sites etc and is there much possibilty for wild camping in the UK hope this not a daft question but this will all be new to us once we get our MOHO
Thanks again
Ruth & Andy

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
There are lots of vans which might suit you down to the ground if you are still fairly active!
Lots of us younger motorhomers do activities from Cyclng to Skiing from our vans.
Having lots of storage space and good winterisation can help you to get the most use from your purchase.
Don't get too hung up on size. With four of you, you will always wish you had something bigger! Don't rule out an overcab van. An overcab bed is a fantastic space multiplier.
I would be suspicious of the modern low profile drop down bed designs for proper family use. When it's bedtime, all of you have to retire because you will lose your lounge!

OP
OP
R

Ruth&Andy

Free Member
Oct 21, 2015
redhill
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Hi Thanks for your reply actually its just the two of us and we are very active skiing and hiking and surfing being our main hobbies so winterisation is a must , storage options seem endless but i guess the bigger the better
thanks again

Ruth & Andy

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If skiing is one of your interests, don't buy British. You will need a proper winterised van, not a Brit van with a 'winter pack'.
It takes more than 2 tank heaters to cope with the Alps in winter!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hello and :welc:.

I recalled this thread about winterising a motorhome, some of the European ones may not need as much work.. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/winterising-the-van-fully.56213/

Many of the Euro vans don't need ANY work whereas every Brit van WILL require lots of work.
We have been on the same trips as Haggers with zero mods save for a bucket to catch grey water ice!:) Ours is a Chausson.

The Haganaps have seen the light and bought a Rapido but Paul deserves lots of respect for making the Bessacarr work in the cold!(y)

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
:welc:
Hi Ruth and Andy,
Welcome to the club. Having just read your introductory post I thought you might be interested in a motorhome that we are just about to sell. It's a Frankia i680ED A-class, 2008, 7.15 m long, fully winterised, garage storage for sports kit, lovely vehicle. We've used it in Devon and Cornwall without size problems. We chose it for its internal layout, which has plenty of lounging space and can seat six for a meal. If this might be of interest please let me know and we can discuss in more detail.
Kind regards,
Stephen

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Our PVC is 2.050m and 6.4m long.
Big enough for space and lounging about. Small enough to get down small narrow lanes.
image.jpeg

Welcome to the forum. Just look at as many as you can, get in and try them all out. Sit on the loos, stand in the showers, lay on the beds etc.

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Agree with Jon and Shell British vans are generally not sufficiently winterised for skiing do not believe any dealer that tells you otherwise. What's your budget?

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Many thanks for all the replies and advice it all helps think after reading them we may go for the A class or low profile deffleffs as many of you state the layout and feel of it is more important than the size and good to know can get pretty much anywhere in one this size.

Hi Thanks for your reply actually its just the two of us and we are very active skiing and hiking and surfing being our main hobbies so winterisation is a must , storage options seem endless but i guess the bigger the better

Hello again Ruth & Andy. Can I draw your attention to my Frankia for sale? It seems to fit your requirements quite well. Here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back