new motorhome

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ruth&Andy, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Ruth&Andy

Ruth&Andy Read Only Funster

Hi my girlfriend & I are looking to buy our first motorhome weve looked at loads deffleffs, swift,hymer,flurrette, looking for 4 berth but main concerns are drivability and access to smaller roads
    and areas where its necessary to drive down small country roads, weve considered a van conversion as well,due to the width and size we are just looking for some advice from people who own motorhomes and have had experiences with this sort of thing
    any advice help would be most welcome
    many thanks for taking the time
    Ruth & Andy

2. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Hello Ruth and Andy and welcome to the club.

Motorhome choice is always going to be a compromise and although you have said the ability to get down narrow lanes is a high priority, are you sure it is your highest? How much of your time, after all, will be spent driving down narrow lanes as opposed to enjoying the experience when you get there? The reason I ask is that we live in Cornwall and you don't get many areas with narrower lanes than here, yet we manage to get down to all the secluded sites here in our van, which is a 6.6m long, 2.2m wide and 3m high A class. The driving experience is second to none, owing to the high and wide view you get from the driver's seat and the view straight down the flat sides of the van in the large wing mirrors. We have many friends who have owned both coachbuilt and van conversion vans and in truth there are pros and cons for all, but I wouldn't swap ours because we like the comfort a larger van provides. However, if your wish for a van conversion is partly driven by the need to keep the van on your drive or to use it as your main vehicle, you can disregard all I have said here! Happy hunting, Gary

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ruthiebabe

ruthiebabe Funster

Hi why not start with reading the guide to buying a Motorhome on here and also consider the e book, there is a lot to get your head around. Then really try and think what sort or use you will be making of it and where. I would also suggest that your first purchase is a used one so that if you make a mistake you can change without serious financial loss. Maybe even no/very little loss. Buying a popular make in a popular layout, between say 2 and 10 years old, with no damp or other no no's, is a good idea. But research and good advice is key, and don't get that advice from dealers!.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

Just visit lots of dealers. Look round them all. For us accessibility was the be all and end all. It took us a while( over a year) but finally bought our MH 2 weeks ago. I think in the end you buy one that just 'feels' right for you. Happy hunting.

5. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Hello. girl-waving-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif Can't really add much more but enjoy your search

• Like Like x 1
  6. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

:welc:

7. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    I bet many of the narrow roads you're concerned about have houses with wheelie bins outside - if Mr Bin Man can use the road, - so can you. :)

Having said that, I personally prefer the narrower width of a PVC.

• Like Like x 3
  8. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Hi welcome .. a layout that works for you is going to be a bigger priority in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lofty1

Lofty1 Funster

Hi,
    Just to add my twopence unless you are looking at RV's then the size of the van width that is , is only a matter of confidence. we go across mountain tracks all over Europe the vans fit just a case of taking you time , Height alas is another matter use a truck sat-nav to avoid low bridges they do turn up in the most unexpected places. But most of all the layout of the van you must be comfortable in it,
    try before you buy, enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Hi @Ruth&Andy, and welcome to the forum.

I would echo what others have said about getting out and looking, especially @HymerB544 , especially as I have a B544 (albeit older and slightly smaller), which I can shoehorn into most places.

Remember that the people who live down the lanes move house, have deliveries from Ocado, and have their bins emptied, at least in the UK.

If size really is an issue, my first proper MoHo (as opposed to camper vans like VW T3s, Mazda Bongos etc, which may also suit you better?) was based on the Mitsubishi Delica, like this one currently on eBay:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUBISH...DIESEL-1997-LOW-MILES-CAMPERVAN-/271938755330

Genuine little MotorHome with cassette toilet, shower, fridge, cooker et al, yet will fit in any car-parking space and so can be used as every day transport if you want. A real tardis. Four wheel drive to boot, I wouldn't enter the Paris-Dakhar, but you should be fine on most campsites (c;

screen shots for when the eBay Ad expires:-

upload_2015-10-22_7-58-7.png
    upload_2015-10-22_8-0-1.png

• Like Like x 1
  11. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Panelvans a good choice, damp not an issue, easier to maintain, faster, more economical, and far more car like to drive. Ours up for sale over in classified section:)

2013 globecar, Possl 636 FR

• Like Like x 2
  12. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello Welcome to Fun :welc:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Hi & :welc:

14. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Our van is just over 7 metres long, 3 metres high and 2.3 metres wide. I haven't found a road that we couldn't drive down yet, and that includes Wales, England France and Spain. We tend to keep off main roads and seem to spend a lot of time driving through villages and countryside. We never plan routes, least of all check them out on Google maps.
    In most villages, if there is restricted access, there will be a sign telling you, either a height, weight or width restriction, it's in their interest not to have vehicles stuck blocking roads.
    But, if road widths do worry you, you may be better off looking at a panel van conversion.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ruth&Andy

Many thanks for all the replies and advice it all helps think after reading them we may go for the A class or low profile deffleffs as many of you state the layout and feel of it is more important than the size and good to know can get pretty much anywhere in one this size.
    Also sorry to ask more questions but is it a good idea to join the caravan club for access to sites etc and is there much possibilty for wild camping in the UK hope this not a daft question but this will all be new to us once we get our MOHO
    Thanks again
    Ruth & Andy

16. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

There are lots of vans which might suit you down to the ground if you are still fairly active!
    Lots of us younger motorhomers do activities from Cyclng to Skiing from our vans.
    Having lots of storage space and good winterisation can help you to get the most use from your purchase.
    Don't get too hung up on size. With four of you, you will always wish you had something bigger! Don't rule out an overcab van. An overcab bed is a fantastic space multiplier.
    I would be suspicious of the modern low profile drop down bed designs for proper family use. When it's bedtime, all of you have to retire because you will lose your lounge!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ruth&Andy

Hi Thanks for your reply actually its just the two of us and we are very active skiing and hiking and surfing being our main hobbies so winterisation is a must , storage options seem endless but i guess the bigger the better
    thanks again

Ruth & Andy

18. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

If skiing is one of your interests, don't buy British. You will need a proper winterised van, not a Brit van with a 'winter pack'.
    It takes more than 2 tank heaters to cope with the Alps in winter!

19. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

20. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Totally agree with Jonandshell, Gary