New Motorhome park at Porthcawl.. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just to counter the bad press, this is good news..

Full Story http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/porthcawl-caravan-park-reopen-after-3318166
A famous Porthcawl caravan site will welcome visitors for the first time in more than a decade next week.

Sandy Bay Touring Site will reopen for business on Monday on land close to the Hi Tide Inn.

The former site – a mainstay of the seaside town’s tourism industry – was controversially closed by the council in 2000, in part to free up the prime seafront site for Porthcawl’s regeneration scheme.

But the seafront dune expanse remained unused for 12 years, with Hi Tide Inn director Geoff Dower branding it “derelict for a decade”.

Calls to reopen the site have persisted for more than a decade, with residents and campaigners arguing the lack of overnight stopover facilities for camper vans has led to a clogging up of the seafront with overnight parkers.

But Mr Dower and wife Fran, who have put £30,000 towards developing the new camper van site and will fund the project, said the facility should ease the seafront parking problems.

“This is great news for Porthcawl, enabling a designated site for mobile homes to vacate the promenade,” Mr Dower said.

The site, which will be accessed via the Hi Tide Inn car park through an automated barrier in the far wall, includes basic washing and toilet facilities and means to dispose of mobile homes’ chemical toilets.

It will open on an initial six month trial basis, which has been negotiated with Bridgend County Borough Council.

Google map https://maps.google.com/maps?q=The+Hi-Tide+Inn,+Porthcawl,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=51.479544,-3.695671&spn=0.000694,0.002032&sll=52.021576,1.4082&sspn=0.08736,0.260067&oq=Hi+Tide+Inn+&t=h&hq=The+Hi-Tide+Inn,&hnear=Porthcawl,+Bridgend,+United+Kingdom&z=20&layer=c&cbll=51.479595,-3.695677&panoid=5FYCcCBjaUggUnT082jlyw&cbp=12,99.09,,0,5.11

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I've always wondered what that patch of land was for when I've walked past it - I thought it was part of the Trecco Bay static park that for some reason they didn't want to use.

Porthcawl town councillor for the East Central ward, Mark Davies, said: “This should see an end to the issues the town has had in recent years with camper vans abusing Porthcawl’s residential streets.
BCBC deputy leader, councillor David Sage, said: “While the overall Sandy Bay site still figures prominently in our plans for the ongoing regeneration of Porthcawl, we have agreed a proposal for using part of it on a temporary basis to provide a dedicated place which can be used by touring caravans.”
He added BCBC would look again at providing a permanent camper van facility to tackle seafront parking problems during future
In other words they're not optimistic that this is going to stop [STRIKE]"camper vans" [/STRIKE]motorhomes parking along places like Eastern Promenade.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
amazing...

the bad news item gets a ton of hits (almost 1,000) and 17 replies, even though there is absolutely nothing that you can do or say that will change Lincolnshire's new bylaw banning overnight parking with campervans (in certain areas.. )

yet this one .... a good news story about a proposed new aire in Wales ... one reply

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Both stories are only of interest if you intend to be in that area. I think it is good that someone has bucked the trend and has taken the decision to provide facilities intended for Motor Caravan use.

There will always be those who don't want to pay. It happened at Guisborough with only a few bothering to take a ticket from the machine. On paper no demand, facility closed. At least this guy has set up a barrier to catch them.

John

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I found it of interest. As kids we went to Porthcawl every summer for a caravan holiday. This brings back fond memories. I had a look on Streetview and was disappointed to see that the little paddling pool near the harbour has been filled in. My brother and I spent many a happy hour sailing our yachts in there (I think dad was spening his happy hour in the bar of the hotel across the road :ROFLMAO:) and the miniature railway that ran back and forth along the promenade has gone. Used to save the walk back from town on a hot day!

Ahhh, those were the days.

It is good to see that someone is prepared to try and accommodate motorhomes. Let's hope it works out and is not just another exercise in "proving it won't work"

I will be sure to make a point of visiting when next in that direction.

Wyn

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Am parked up in porthcawl rfc field at the moment. It's about a mile from he new site, which opened tonight.
Will take a look at it tomorrow and report back if I can find it

Peter

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
We visit Porthcawl quite often and park on the prom if we are there for just the day

Unfortunately, as usual, there are those that park up for 1 or 2 weeks duration
Emptying there black waste into the seafront public toilets. I have seen someone emptying a cassette over the prom wall when the tide was in, when I approached him on the subject he told me to f off and mind my own business. They also let there the gray waste flow directly onto the road.
Not surprisingly, when we were there last week signs have been put up prohibiting overnight campers etc

For a 1 or 2 nighter, just 45mins from home
We usually stay at the Whitewheat CCC CS at Newton village but I am sure we will be giving the new one a try.
Look forward to your report Peter

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Whenever I visit Porthcawl it always reminds me of Llandudno.:thumb:

(In so much as it was probably a brilliant place in its day.)

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Well done chaps Jim for informing us and Mr Dower and his wife for taking the initiative.
Just hope the Council nosey parkers don't harass the site owners.

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Ok folks, stop holding your breath, I found it this morning braving on shore high winds with an edge on them that could cut glass. I have a few photos as well

Its situated right behind the Hi Tide Inn and entertainment complex. It is a two minute stagger to get home. Its also a hundred yards or so from the Coney Beach funfair.

But if you want a couple of days of old fashioned sun and sand, bucket and spade holiday with the small kids or grand kids, it looks ideal.

Frankly its a work in progress, the standings are grass over sand, the access rod is gravelled. There are basic facilities, elsan dump, water fill up point, rubbish point atond a couple of portaloos. There is no EHU.

Its £15 per night july/august an £10 per night rest of the time. Closed in winter time.

Its a 10-15 minute walk to the main shops, but lots of eating and drinking places everywhere.

From the parked up van to the sand is a 2 min stroll, say 10 for a toddler.

hiTideCL01sjpg_zps2f1e9595.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Entrance to the site

hitidecl04sjpg_zps910beaa2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

hitidecl03sjpg_zpsb25b10c6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

hitidecl02sjpg_zpsf98e66fb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

hitidecl02sjpg_zpsf98e66fb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
This is Peter for MFH signing off at Portcawl, where the sun is cracking the pavements and the wind keeps blowing my wig off !

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
"yet this one .... a good news story about a proposed new aire in Wales ... one reply"

may not have replied but passed the word straight away and I reckon thats their van in the last picture so a quick response to good news!!

malrider

Free Member
May 12, 2012
CARDIFF
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
since a child
Porthcawl site

Hi thankyou for info Peter will give it a go next week for a meal and trip around the pubs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back