New Motorhome park at Porthcawl..

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by scotjimland, May 2, 2013.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Just to counter the bad press, this is good news..

Full Story http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/porthcawl-caravan-park-reopen-after-3318166
    Google map https://maps.google.com/maps?q=The+Hi-Tide+Inn,+Porthcawl,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=51.479544,-3.695671&spn=0.000694,0.002032&sll=52.021576,1.4082&sspn=0.08736,0.260067&oq=Hi+Tide+Inn+&t=h&hq=The+Hi-Tide+Inn,&hnear=Porthcawl,+Bridgend,+United+Kingdom&z=20&layer=c&cbll=51.479595,-3.695677&panoid=5FYCcCBjaUggUnT082jlyw&cbp=12,99.09,,0,5.11

Last edited: May 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

I've always wondered what that patch of land was for when I've walked past it - I thought it was part of the Trecco Bay static park that for some reason they didn't want to use.

In other words they're not optimistic that this is going to stop [STRIKE]"camper vans" [/STRIKE]motorhomes parking along places like Eastern Promenade.

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

amazing...

the bad news item gets a ton of hits (almost 1,000) and 17 replies, even though there is absolutely nothing that you can do or say that will change Lincolnshire's new bylaw banning overnight parking with campervans (in certain areas.. )

yet this one .... a good news story about a proposed new aire in Wales ... one reply

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  4. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Both stories are only of interest if you intend to be in that area. I think it is good that someone has bucked the trend and has taken the decision to provide facilities intended for Motor Caravan use.

There will always be those who don't want to pay. It happened at Guisborough with only a few bothering to take a ticket from the machine. On paper no demand, facility closed. At least this guy has set up a barrier to catch them.

John

5. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

I found it of interest. As kids we went to Porthcawl every summer for a caravan holiday. This brings back fond memories. I had a look on Streetview and was disappointed to see that the little paddling pool near the harbour has been filled in. My brother and I spent many a happy hour sailing our yachts in there (I think dad was spening his happy hour in the bar of the hotel across the road :Rofl1:) and the miniature railway that ran back and forth along the promenade has gone. Used to save the walk back from town on a hot day!

Ahhh, those were the days.

It is good to see that someone is prepared to try and accommodate motorhomes. Let's hope it works out and is not just another exercise in "proving it won't work"

I will be sure to make a point of visiting when next in that direction.

Wyn

• Like Like x 1
  6. peter H

peter H Funster Life Member

Am parked up in porthcawl rfc field at the moment. It's about a mile from he new site, which opened tonight.
    Will take a look at it tomorrow and report back if I can find it

Peter

• Like Like x 5
  7. chrisboyo

chrisboyo Funster

We visit Porthcawl quite often and park on the prom if we are there for just the day

Unfortunately, as usual, there are those that park up for 1 or 2 weeks duration
    Emptying there black waste into the seafront public toilets. I have seen someone emptying a cassette over the prom wall when the tide was in, when I approached him on the subject he told me to f off and mind my own business. They also let there the gray waste flow directly onto the road.
    Not surprisingly, when we were there last week signs have been put up prohibiting overnight campers etc

For a 1 or 2 nighter, just 45mins from home
    We usually stay at the Whitewheat CCC CS at Newton village but I am sure we will be giving the new one a try.
    Look forward to your report Peter

8. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Whenever I visit Porthcawl it always reminds me of Llandudno.:thumb:

(In so much as it was probably a brilliant place in its day.)

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Well done chaps Jim for informing us and Mr Dower and his wife for taking the initiative.
    Just hope the Council nosey parkers don't harass the site owners.

10. peter H

peter H Funster Life Member

Ok folks, stop holding your breath, I found it this morning braving on shore high winds with an edge on them that could cut glass. I have a few photos as well

Its situated right behind the Hi Tide Inn and entertainment complex. It is a two minute stagger to get home. Its also a hundred yards or so from the Coney Beach funfair.

But if you want a couple of days of old fashioned sun and sand, bucket and spade holiday with the small kids or grand kids, it looks ideal.

Frankly its a work in progress, the standings are grass over sand, the access rod is gravelled. There are basic facilities, elsan dump, water fill up point, rubbish point atond a couple of portaloos. There is no EHU.

Its £15 per night july/august an £10 per night rest of the time. Closed in winter time.

Its a 10-15 minute walk to the main shops, but lots of eating and drinking places everywhere.

From the parked up van to the sand is a 2 min stroll, say 10 for a toddler.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    Entrance to the site

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    This is Peter for MFH signing off at Portcawl, where the sun is cracking the pavements and the wind keeps blowing my wig off !

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

Llandudno still is a brilliant place.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 15edward

15edward Funster

"yet this one .... a good news story about a proposed new aire in Wales ... one reply"

may not have replied but passed the word straight away and I reckon thats their van in the last picture so a quick response to good news!!

13. malrider

malrider Funster

Porthcawl site

Hi thankyou for info Peter will give it a go next week for a meal and trip around the pubs.