New Motorhome help pls - Heating (1 Viewer)

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
Hi all,
despite reading the comprehensive info pack i am still unclear or cannot get working as follows, could you help me please ?

1. water heating the manuals say Gas only yet this switch and the heater says also 12V, so switch on and it works on 12V (via battery and mains) ?
2. The yellow drain toggle when i lift to drain it wets around the toggle i thought it would go out below onto the floor, how do i drain it ?
3. Putting the heater on Max (electric) with the gas fire Fan set to say 3 the out put is rubbish, am i doing something wrong ?
4. What is the "A" for on the fire ?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 93
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 88
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 98
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 96

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Here goes,

Water is heated either by gas or electric 220-240v mains on hook up.

To operate Gas, make sure you have removed outside cover on water heater first,
won't work if you don't.
Next make sure gas turned on at bottle,go to control panel shown in picture 4
turn the black centre of dial to desired water temp lines up with dot on right, set at 60 on your photo, then turn outer part of same dial to line up small lug on right with flame sign(only moves a fractionof a turn).Small green light will now show on dial,heater is now operating, if light colour changes this means ignition has failed. in this case turn outer switch back to off then back on again,sometimes this takes several attempts before heater gets going,especialy if not been used for a while.
To operate on electric simply turn on at switch at your picture 1, must be connected to hook up as is 220-240v
will continue with further info later as have to go out for a while.
hope this helps
regards
Steve:thumb:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
your heater will not work on 12v...only gas or 230v....12v is for the blower fan.

the 'A' on the heater top panel is for automatic operation....once the van is up to the pre-set temperature the blower will speed up/slow down to regulate the airflow output maintaining the correct heat output.
basically a climate control switch.

poor heat output could be caused by one or two of the heating elements within the heater being burnt out......you may have it set to 2000w but i may only be running at 1000w or even 500w.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Back now, so to continue,

The reference to 12v on your water heater is solely for the ignition system when using on gas.

As for your heater itself, this can be operated on gas or 220-240v when on hook up,
to operate on gas press down and hold dial on top of fire as in photo 3, you should now
hear clicking sound as igniter operates and then heater should fire up, then turn control to desired setting, the fan control is the sliding button, centre is off, left is on full, right"A"is automatic which will self regulate with temp.

The drain valve, as at photo 2, when yellow lever is vertical and you open your sink and shower taps will drain down the internal pipework,immediately beneath this you should have a short pipe with open end underneath your van from which the water should flow.
if as you say water is coming inside van when you move this lever then im afraid the valve
must have faulty seals and should be replaced.

The control for the electrical side of your fire,is the one on the right in photo 4, this works similar to water heater as center of dial sets temp, and outer has 4 positions 500w, off,
1000w and 2000w, these you can equate to a electric fire, 1 bar (500), 2 bars (1000),
3 bars (2000w).
As to why your heater is poor on Electric I can only go along with Pappajohn as I have not had any problem with mine.Though I find it to be much hotter on Gas than electric.

Hope this helps you

Regards

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Guys thank you,
most grateful for your help, just bought the 700 and love it so just getting up to speed.
The drain valve has no pipe or even a hole beneath it so methinks mine was made on a Friday but i will check again.

The poor electric heating i must fess up here.....the Electric was off, i didnt realise a fuse had blown at the source end so the 700 was getting no juice:Doh:. Once i checked i then found to my delight that the two main 240v switches (heating and water) illuminate when on so hurrah and the heating was good.::bigsmile:

Is there any way i can confirm there is 240v coming into the vehicle other than this ?

On picture 3 of the heater control whats the symbol where the switch is as shown ?

Anyway great job thanks people,
Paul

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Is there any way i can confirm there is 240v coming into the vehicle other than this ?

Plug a small appliance like a table lamp into the 3 pins socket There must be one somewhere in the van when on hook up. (assuming there is not an inverter fitted in the van)

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
On picture 3 of the heater control whats the symbol where the switch is as shown ?

Simply Heater fan ON, speed variable manualy by turning switch 1 being slow to 5 being fast.

here are some photos to show drain pipe location on my van.there has to be a drain pipe coming out somewhere from your valve.

Broken Link Removed
this photo taken from underneath van, shows pipe is located about 6 inches behind outside shower and water heater between skirt of van and chassis.
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed
these show position of water heater vent and outside shower on our van.
hope this helps

Regards Steve

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973

On our van the charger under the dinette forward facing seat has a orange switch
which illuminates when your charger is switched on and you are connected to hook up.
I leave this in the on position at all times and find everything works fine.
You Know you have incoming 240v if this is illuminated.
Regards

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Cheers again Steve, mighty fine camper there mate, looks very familiar he he.
Yes i will re look underneath to see if there as if it is it just maybe blocked i say hopefully (thanks for taking the pictures also).

Ah under that seat eh, havnt been there yet doh. Have been under the opposite seat and tidied the Leisure Battery leads up but had ignored that seat as thought just seat belt mountings so thanks for that.

I plan to buy another 0.99p nightlight from Tesco, the ones with a single LED in and block off the night sensor so it stays on in the daylight, this at a glance i can see if power is on then on a rarely used socket.

Cheers,
Paul

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cheers again Steve, mighty fine camper there mate, looks very familiar he he.
Yes i will re look underneath to see if there as if it is it just maybe blocked i say hopefully (thanks for taking the pictures also).

Ah under that seat eh, havnt been there yet doh. Have been under the opposite seat and tidied the Leisure Battery leads up but had ignored that seat as thought just seat belt mountings so thanks for that.

I plan to buy another 0.99p nightlight from Tesco, the ones with a single LED in and block off the night sensor so it stays on in the daylight, this at a glance i can see if power is on then on a rarely used socket.

Cheers,
Paul
much better option...one of these testers.

with this you can also check if there are any problems/faults on the motorhome mains wiring.

you can buy them just about anywhere for less than a fiver.

Link Removed

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
much better option...one of these testers.

with this you can also check if there are any problems/faults on the motorhome mains wiring.

you can buy them just about anywhere for less than a fiver.

Link Removed

I like that better than my idea, top man thanks.
Paul

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Steve,
thought it was strange that i could miss a drain pipe, i didnt because it not there.
Must add this to a future job when in for service as cannot of been drained since 2003 !!
Cheers
Paul

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 17

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
At least I think we managed to sort out all your problems, and you know
what should be there, even if Autotrail didn't do it.

Regards

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
At least I think we managed to sort out all your problems, and you know
what should be there, even if Autotrail didn't do it.

Regards

For sure and thanks to all. Found the big charging unit under the seat today also, so all is good.
Just had the reversing camera fitted so ready to go.
Thanks
Paul

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Thinking on surely if i fire a pilot hole from the top down, then carefully drill from the underside with a large flat headed bit i should reveal the valve to which i could fit a hose then silicone around it after looking at your picture, might just give that a go as i cant lose.
Obviously the hole will be far bigger than is needed to give me access but silicone hides most sins.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Hurrah its sorted.

I noticed that the valve only had one screw in and wasnt sitting straight so i undid all the screws so i could raise the thing and below was a hole ! When poking the hole it was full of silicone so i got it out and hurrah, some idiot had filled the hole when perhaps the hose fell out and didnt know there was supposed to be a hose there.

I couldnt see the hole the other day as unlike Steves mine was partly behind the insulated pipe. So mine as pictured is now correct and working, just have to silicone round the thing when its dry now.

Forums, dont you just love em when you need help :party2:.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 11
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 13

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!