LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
When we bought our Gulf Stream from Tom at Oakwell motorhomes a couple of years ago now, we looked at the van, said that we liked it and asked Tom for his best price. He came back to us with a price, he was happy with, we agreed and we have had outstanding service from Oakwell.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Just a question, Why do you expect a dealer to give good service just because you paid top dollar for a new van. I would have thought they will screw you just the same cost for a service, when you pay through the nose for that 'service'. Warranty claims are against the manufacturers who pay the dealer for the repair, that is if they get done at all. Any dealer is supposed to cover warranty repairs for the van body. Base vehicle makers will cover through any Ford or Fiat etc., dealers that are nearby.
I would quite willingly buy a vehicle with a big discount and never darken their door again and let them know that. In fact I would quite willingly go to the factory and collect rather than get screwed for £2000 for delivery and a PDI, in fact that should not be a thing that is charged for at all, as it should be ready to drive upon delivery. If the van was so bad that it required checking out by a dealers grease monkey first, then it would not be worth buying, or the manufacturer is missing some sort of quality control.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just a question, Why do you expect a dealer to give good service just because you paid top dollar for a new van. I would have thought they will screw you just the same cost for a service, when you pay through the nose for that 'service'. Warranty claims are against the manufacturers who pay the dealer for the repair, that is if they get done at all. Any dealer is supposed to cover warranty repairs for the van body. Base vehicle makers will cover through any Ford or Fiat etc., dealers that are nearby.
I would quite willingly buy a vehicle with a big discount and never darken their door again and let them know that. In fact I would quite willingly go to the factory and collect rather than get screwed for £2000 for delivery and a PDI, in fact that should not be a thing that is charged for at all, as it should be ready to drive upon delivery. If the van was so bad that it required checking out by a dealers grease monkey first, then it would not be worth buying, or the manufacturer is missing some sort of quality control.
Apparently you get 100% Red Carpet treatment only if you pay maximum retail price. Not sure what this means as @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes hasn't said.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Thanks for all your comments guys.
I went for a bit more discount, got some extras thrown in and I am now happy. I think the dealer is too so it's win win.
Have now placed the order and wait till June for delivery.
Cheers
John.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I have to say it's all relative! What you save at the beginning you loose at the end!
The residuals don't happen by accident, the price a MH/Vehicle makes at resale is all relevant to its purchase price, the trade know values at purchase, of course anyone overpaying looses more at the end.

Certain brands hold their value for a number of factors but they wouldn't hold that value if they discounted.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The residuals don't happen by accident, the price a MH/Vehicle makes at resale is all relevant to its purchase price, the trade know values at purchase, of course anyone overpaying looses more at the end.
That's interesting.. Is there any documentary evidence to support this?
Surely if a dealer was offering discounts they would not share that info with other dealers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back