Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi looking at changing my van any advice on new Auto trail or Swift.
thanks
Paul

Arewethereyet

Free Member
Apr 21, 2016
Bracknell, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi musson, my last M/H was a Autotrail Delaware and was a really good van, we had never had any problems with leaks and the such like, the nice thing about Autotrail's is they do come loaded with all the usual stuff has standard ie; ext bbq point/ext shower/awning/microwave etc etc, The only reason I sold it was we decided that a different layout would suit us better.

I have no experience of the swift brand as I have never owned one, which ever route you chose just make sure you get a good damp report done before parting with any money, obviously not needed if you are buying new.

Mark

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Our Swift is about three and a half years old now and so far has been great. Few initial problems with step etc but fine since then.

As far as I know we have no damp issues. We hear a lot about Swift having damp problems but they do have a 10 year water ingress warranty so long as you have an annual habitation check. I don't know how much use the warranty is but 10 years is still a lot longer than many Continental brands.

Paul

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
Met the MD of autotrail in a pub in Edinburgh the other week, he was at his son's stag. My suggestion of a 20% discount for funsters was politely ignored. But he was a nice guy.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
We have a 16 year old Bessacarr, (Swift Group) van.
We have not experienced any water ingress at all.
snuff dry, warm and comfy, everything fits / works as it should.

All brands will have the odd problem vans, as do all car brands and talking to Swift group MH / caravan owners, I feel the name they are given for damp isn't justly earned.
I have heard of folk with damp Rapidos, Swifts, Burstners, Hymers...most brands.
In no case does damp seem to be the province of a particular brand.
If you take a look back on here at problem vans over the last few months, the problems seem to come mainly from Hymers.
Leaky, badly fitted windows, badly fitted roof lights, electrical problems etc.

Take a good look at all brands and make your own decision.

Hi musson, my last M/H was a Autotrail Delaware and was a really good van, we had never had any problems with leaks and the such like, the nice thing about Autotrail's is they do come loaded with all the usual stuff has standard ie; ext bbq point/ext shower/awning/microwave etc etc, The only reason I sold it was we decided that a different layout would suit us better.

I have no experience of the swift brand as I have never owned one, which ever route you chose just make sure you get a good damp report done before parting with any money, obviously not needed if you are buying new.

Mark

Sound advice.

Don't assume that any van will not have a damp problem solely because of its brand.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Mine is an Autotrail Apache 632. New in November so a bit early to be definite about quality, but so far, so good. No problems whatsoever.
Apart that is from payload, which I thought would be fine but in practice isn't. Only about another 100kg needed, so it's fixable, but a nuisance.
So my advice is to check all weights very carefully indeed

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
There is no 'perfect van' out there. They all need some sort of mod, upgrade or change to suit what you prefer.
We had 2011 Swift Bessacarr E450 fixed bed (french bed style) for 4 years and only one issue with the Sargent control box, cost £75 to fix. It manifested itself with step going wonky, sometimes working sometimes not, stuck half way out. No damp problems, though I felt it could have been better draught proofed and bit warmer when using in winter.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We have a Swift Bolero bought new last July and, so far, have had no problems. As has been said, Swift have been slated for damp issues but I know several owners and none have damp issues.
We had an Autotrail before the Swift and only changed for the layout so try and make sure you get it right first time..........it's cheaper :LOL::LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back