NEW MH

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by musson, May 9, 2016.

1. musson

musson Funster

Hi looking at changing my van any advice on new Auto trail or Swift.
    thanks
    Paul

2. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

I wouldn't buy another Swift - interior layout was good, but their reputation for leaking is duly earned

• Like Like x 2
  3. Arewethereyet

Arewethereyet Funster

Hi musson, my last M/H was a Autotrail Delaware and was a really good van, we had never had any problems with leaks and the such like, the nice thing about Autotrail's is they do come loaded with all the usual stuff has standard ie; ext bbq point/ext shower/awning/microwave etc etc, The only reason I sold it was we decided that a different layout would suit us better.

I have no experience of the swift brand as I have never owned one, which ever route you chose just make sure you get a good damp report done before parting with any money, obviously not needed if you are buying new.

Mark

4. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Our last van was a Autotrail Savannah - I loved it but hubby wanted a 'A' class. Still miss it.

5. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

We have an auto trail apache and love it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

It's worth seeing some of each and deciding on a layout

• Like Like x 1
  7. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

Our Swift is about three and a half years old now and so far has been great. Few initial problems with step etc but fine since then.

As far as I know we have no damp issues. We hear a lot about Swift having damp problems but they do have a 10 year water ingress warranty so long as you have an annual habitation check. I don't know how much use the warranty is but 10 years is still a lot longer than many Continental brands.

Paul

8. Dognewf

Dognewf Funster

Met the MD of autotrail in a pub in Edinburgh the other week, he was at his son's stag. My suggestion of a 20% discount for funsters was politely ignored. But he was a nice guy.

9. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

We have a 16 year old Bessacarr, (Swift Group) van.
    We have not experienced any water ingress at all.
    snuff dry, warm and comfy, everything fits / works as it should.

All brands will have the odd problem vans, as do all car brands and talking to Swift group MH / caravan owners, I feel the name they are given for damp isn't justly earned.
    I have heard of folk with damp Rapidos, Swifts, Burstners, Hymers...most brands.
    In no case does damp seem to be the province of a particular brand.
    If you take a look back on here at problem vans over the last few months, the problems seem to come mainly from Hymers.
    Leaky, badly fitted windows, badly fitted roof lights, electrical problems etc.

Take a good look at all brands and make your own decision.

Sound advice.

Don't assume that any van will not have a damp problem solely because of its brand.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Candapack

Candapack Funster

Mine is an Autotrail Apache 632. New in November so a bit early to be definite about quality, but so far, so good. No problems whatsoever.
    Apart that is from payload, which I thought would be fine but in practice isn't. Only about another 100kg needed, so it's fixable, but a nuisance.
    So my advice is to check all weights very carefully indeed

11. musson

musson Funster

THANKS FOR THE REPLYS

12. Hettie's Crew

Hettie's Crew Funster

There is no 'perfect van' out there. They all need some sort of mod, upgrade or change to suit what you prefer.
    We had 2011 Swift Bessacarr E450 fixed bed (french bed style) for 4 years and only one issue with the Sargent control box, cost £75 to fix. It manifested itself with step going wonky, sometimes working sometimes not, stuck half way out. No damp problems, though I felt it could have been better draught proofed and bit warmer when using in winter.

13. Baycott

Baycott Funster

We have a Swift Bolero bought new last July and, so far, have had no problems. As has been said, Swift have been slated for damp issues but I know several owners and none have damp issues.
    We had an Autotrail before the Swift and only changed for the layout so try and make sure you get it right first time..........it's cheaper :LOL::LOL:

• Like Like x 1