New MH, now need a hair dryer

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by SomeoneElse, May 11, 2013.

1. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

We have committed ourselves for a new Bailey 625. Its due for delivery at the beginning of July. There was not a lot of choice really we wanted 3500kg unit with an end lounge, the option for two single beds and less than 7 metres. Of course anything will have a bigger water tank than the 45l on our Autoquest 120.

We have arranged for the dealer to add a wind out awning and to fit a fix 38l (15kg) lpg tank.

We're now working out what else to add, and when without EHU its the hair dryer that Linda misses most. So I thought easy I fit and inverter, a 1000W jobby should do for a small hair dryer. But I can't find a suitable dryer, there are lots of "travel" one but they are all 1200W.

Anyone know of a smaller hair dryer?

Linda and Gordon

2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

A bigger inverter might be the best and easiest option but, is your battery man enough for the job?:Eeek:

Besides, a 1200w hairdryer is likely to draw more than its rated power on initial startup.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  3. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Just asked Bill to check what my travel one was, but it's even higher at 1400 watts:Eek!: which is quite powerful for a travel model.

I should add the hairdryer is for me, Bill has NO need for a hairdryer at all:Laughing:
    The only other option would be is to only wash and dry hair when on EHU:thumb:

Margaret

• Like Like x 2
  4. spitfire

spitfire Funster

I borrowed a 12v hair dryer from a neighbor at a show and it was complete rubbish. Too weak fr the job so the answer is either v short hair that doesn't need a drier or stop on a site when hair needs doing !! I have plumped for the first option ! But not unusual for me as the OH of a biker . Hair do and crash helmet not a good mix :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  5. maz

maz Funster

• Like Like x 1
  6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

It is easily possible to have a decent 240v supply from your habitation batteries.
    We can do a weekend off hookup using an iron, hairdryer and having all our cups of tea from an electric kettle. We also don't ration any of our 12v electrics either. We never worry about too much TV for instance.

The secret to all this?

345 AH of TRACTION not leisure batteries, a Ring 2100W inverter and for recharging once we are mobile, a 160 Amp Sterling Alternator to Battery charger.

QED!:thumb:

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  7. maz

maz Funster

BTW, running the DesignGo 800w hairdryer for 5 mins uses just over 6 Ah (assuming inverter efficiency of 90%). :Smile:

8. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Wow, how do you manage to dry your hair in just 5 minutes?

9. maz

maz Funster

Towel dry it first, then blast and scrunch. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  10. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

Need a hairdryer try Fergie now he has time on his hands.
    Best hairdryer ever.

11. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

A bigger inverter isn't an easy option as it ups the input current above 100Amps. The fuse class changes, the cable becomes enormous, as 16mm2 cable is rate at 110Amps and I was hoping to get a NASA battery monitor (BM1) which has a 100Amp shunt.

Linda and Gordon.

12. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

• Like Like x 2
  13. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I believe there is a BM2!:thumb:

I had to chuckle about your perception of what constitutes a massive cable! We have 50mm running around ours!
    Then again my vocation involves the maintenance of electric forklift truck!:BigGrin:

14. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

There is a BM2. The BM1 has a shunt that produces 100mV at 100A, the BM2 produces 100mV at 200A. I guessing that the ADC in the unit is the same hence while the current is doubled the overall accuracy is halved. Since most of the time it would be monitoring current in single figures accuracy is important.

Gordon

My crimping tool only copes up to 16mm cable :Angry:
    My background is in electronic/software but I worked for 7 years at JET (Joint European Torus) at Abingdon, and things are big there.
    The plasma in the torus is the shorted secondary of a transformer, its current is measured in MA and yes that is a capital "M".
    3 to 5MA was an everyday sort of pulse.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Larby

Larby Funster

Hair-dryer

My OH has the use of a huge 2.8 turbo diesel heat generator.
    Puts all vents except hers to closed and dries from the heater outlet.
    There is of course the option to use the blown warm air if you have it?
    All very fuel inefficient but keeps her happy.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have a 1.5Kw (peak 3Kw) inverter and it runs a hairdrier fine. If you are not electrically competent get someone else to fit it though. It needs big wires and big fuses as it will draw at least 100Amps in use. Running the hairdrier for 5 minutes will only consume around 10Ah but you do need some way of recharging your leisure batteries such as solar or B2B charger.

17. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Think you have been given some good options for the hairdryer, it is also handy to carry a can of dry shampoo spray, can often put you on for a day or two

18. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If you don't want to use a hairdryer, then instead you could first get one of the microfibre hair towels - they are available in Poundland for £1, here is an article about it:

Hair wrap

I've had one for years (I originally made my own when they first came out as they were expensive) and they really do dry your hair well without having to rub it and tangle it all up. I just pop mine on and leave it for a few mins to draw the water out.

Then if you want to style and fully dry your hair, you could use a Braun independent type of gas hair styling curling tongs, hot brush etc - there are loads of them about of various types (the wide brush one would dry hair quite quickly), some have multiple attachments, so there should be one that suits your style of hair:

Braun products

• Like Like x 1
  19. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Great to have another eleccy teccy Funster on the books!
    A high frequency 3 MA pulse would be a fast, if not destructive, way of of replenishing a leisure battery!:BigGrin:

Based on a minimum absorption time of 1 hour for lead-acid, I reckon you would need a 3 million Ah battery bank.:thumb:

Have you got the payload?!:Rofl1:

20. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi