Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
Hi,
Is there a procedure that should be followed and what tips can you offer when collecting your new MH?
Spud

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Take a notepad and pen and take notes. It's lots of information and in the excitement of getting your new home it may be difficult to remember everything. If you have a partner bring them along too as two sets of eyes and ears are better than one. I have seen a suggestion that you film the handover on your phone and if the dealer is agreeable that's probably a good idea as you can then play it back if you can't remember a particular part. Ask lots of questions and don't be afraid to go through everything twice. Make sure you have the handbook for the MH too.

Good luck in your new MH and if you have queries you can always ask on here as bound to be someone who knows the answer.

Kath

OP
OP
Spud

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
Thanks Kath

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
...and having done all that you will still miss things! Then you can come on here and ask. :)

Good luck.

Keith Hart

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
I did this job for ten years. Evert day I did not know what to expect but I love doing my job. Most handovers went ok 2to3 hours and then I had a few that took longer ( all day for some). As Keith said you will still miss and forget. Enjoy the day and you should be ok. Terry.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi,
Is there a procedure that should be followed and what tips can you offer when collecting your new MH?
Spud
HI Spud not a lot you can add to this really .i think recording with i-phone is a good idea.we will be in the same position as you next month :) so looking forward.good luck with yours(y)
Brian & Jo

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:hi: Hi Spud, we always ask them to demonstrate everything is working i.e. heating, lighting, cooker, fridge. hot/cold water, solar heating panel and so on. We check that things like the tool kit is complete, there is handbook, smoke alarm, CO2 detecter and fire extinguisher. We get them to demostrate putting up any beds, awnings etc, even if we know how to do it. One van had wobbly bed legs which we would have broken off when used it! As we had a micro wave fire in our last van we now check there is an isolater switch. Little things we have missed in the past are things like missing plate in the microwave, shelves in the fridge and draining boards. As we live on the IOW we've stayed local to where we bought the van and tried it out for a few days to iron out any little problems because we want to avoid unecessary ferry fares. Also if it's an older van we generally ask advice from other motorhomers about where to look for damp and any common faults. It must sound like we are a dealers worst nightmare ::bigsmile: Any good dealer or private vendor shouldn't mind if you make thorough checks before buying. Happy motorhoming ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Spud

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
Thanks all.
I'm used to checking things over, but this list is getting to the point where I'll need a whole week to learn and remember it and a P.A. to prompt me and take notes.
Mmm... P.A. Now there's a thought!
Spud.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
One fo the best bits of advice is to stay local after you've picked it up. Then you can go back next day if anything's wrong - and even on a brand new van its quite likely something will be. we took ours back the next day and it took them 3 hours to sort out all the little problems.
We still didn't realise that the oven wasn't working properly and had to wait for a day on a campsite near Plymouth for the gas engineer! A bizarre start to 5 months away in France.

Last edited:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
buy some stick on felt pads from pound shop get boss to sit in back and tell you what is rattling then fit pads ,what ever you pay for a van they have rattles .don't find this out till you are driving back home from pick up ...
If you can park van at home .run electric lead to van and have a nice day learning how things work before your first local trip out .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back